Raffle Laws for a Free Raffle

Soldato
With a raffle set to take place soon i am trying to find out if there are any laws / acts that i must follow when carrying out the raffle.

found one site that says i do, but that only comments on raffles where there is a cost to enter. This is a free raffle with the main prize as a holiday.

any help would be great.

Caporegime
I think you are required to offer the prize to people who don't enter via a ticket - eg provide a mail address which they can post an entry too. This may only be for purchased tickets though - as yours is free you might get away with it.

Caporegime
Probably the general laws like you would have to state where all the raffle money went, e.g., you pocket 50% and the rest goes on prices et.c (not applicable to you though), and you actually have to have the prizes you stipulate.

Soldato
With a raffle set to take place soon i am trying to find out if there are any laws / acts that i must follow when carrying out the raffle.

found one site that says i do, but that only comments on raffles where there is a cost to enter. This is a free raffle with the main prize as a holiday.

any help would be great.

i think you just need to ensure that there's nothing that could be misleading in any advertising. if it's dependant on a purchase you normally need to offer a "no purchase necessary" option. as far as i'm aware you do not need to make it so people dont need a ticket or whatever method of entry you have in place, the normal reason for having an option for postal entry is in place of purchasing something.

we ran a competition for a laptop at my old work, if you contacted us by any means with the number plate of any of our new branded cars you got entered into the draw, i was fairly involved in that and i dont think there were really any restrictions as you're not putting anyone at risk of loss.

Soldato
OP
I think you are required to offer the prize to people who don't enter via a ticket - eg provide a mail address which they can post an entry too. This may only be for purchased tickets though - as yours is free you might get away with it.

people wishing to enter must attend the event where we are doing the draw! thats the only way to enter! its to promote a new housing development

Soldato
OP
Somewhere in the T&C you must offer a postal entry..

but that wont be possible....

as the draw will be carried out on that day! entries will only be taken on that day.

and we give them a raffle ticket once they have viewed the show home type jobie

Man of Honour
Somewhere in the T&C you must offer a postal entry..

Not with a completely free draw you don't. You're thinking of a "Buy this and get a free entry" draws, which do normally require some form of no purchase necessary to ensure they couldn't risk being classed as gambling...

Permabanned
There is a law that if you are in that much control of a raffle, you must at some point write ROFL on the raffle and take a picture, preferably with the Mayor and/or someone important

Soldato
I doubt there would be anything you need to worry about. One thing that's a possibility is that maybe staff/relatives of them aren't allowed to enter, i.e. if the wife of the person organising the raffle happens to win first prize it might look suspicious :)

Caporegime
Not with a completely free draw you don't. You're thinking of a "Buy this and get a free entry" draws, which do normally require some form of no purchase necessary to ensure they couldn't risk being classed as gambling...
Well as I said higher up I was fairly sure it wouldn't apply as it's a free entry. Not sure why I posted the second bit.

Back
Top Bottom