Getting another copy of a driving test pass certificate

Man of Honour
God, I love the DVLNI :rolleyes:

I recently did my DAS motorcycle licence test and when I passed, I sent off the test pass certificate along with my licence to the DVLNI so they could add the entitlement to my licence.

My licence has arrived back with the motorcycle entitlement on it, only it is restricted to 33bhp for two years. They have made an error somewhere along the line and added the wrong entitlement. I'm assuming this is because there is no such thing as a DAS in NI and all motorbike licences are restricted for two years, but I did call them before I sent off my documentation and was assured that they could add the full unrestricted entitlement to my licence without a problem.

I am just going to get a British licence from the DVLA to save any hassle. There's a problem though. I need another copy of my pass certificate to prove to them I have passed the full direct access test. The DVLNI in their infinite wisdom have misplaced the certificate.

Can I get another copy of the certificate and if so, how? The DVLA and the DVLNI don't seem to be too sure about how to resolve this.

Another thing. Even though I have passed the full test, if the police pull me over, can I be prosecuted since my bike is unrestricted (at about 40bhp) since the restricted entitlement is on my licence?

Thanks.

Bat

Bat

Associate
I would get on to the DVLA and explain what happened, have you already spoken to them?. At the moment you are not licensed to ride >33BHP.

Surely the examiner will have a record of the pass.

Soldato
I don't know about NI specifically, but you're licensed to drive from the moment you pass the test. The test pass certificate is your entitlement, which you later swap for a full driving licence. Since the licence itself has an error though, would you technically be driving otherwise than in accordance etc? Interesting one! :D Ask at 5ive-o?

Man of Honour
OP
I would get on to the DVLA and explain what happened, have you already spoken to them?. At the moment you are not licensed to ride >33BHP.

Surely the examiner will have a record of the pass.

The DVLA have said that to get a British licence, they take my NI licence and use the details from it hence defeating the purpose. To get them to add the full entitlement to my new British licence, they now need a copy of the test pass certificate. The only way around this is to get the DVLNI to sort my licence out and I don't hold much hope for that. I'm not even sure they can add the full entitlement to a NI licence now. The DVLA are open today but the DVLNI are closed making it difficult. I'll have to wait until Monday to talk to either of them.

In the meantime I'm trying to find out if it is possible to get another copy of my test pass certificate and if so, how I go about getting it. I'm also looking to know if I'll be breaking the law by driving my bike.

I never thought of 5ive-o, thanks Rainmaker.:)

Bat

Bat

Associate
The DVLA have said that to get a British licence, they take my NI licence and use the details from it hence defeating the purpose. To get them to add the full entitlement to my new British licence, they now need a copy of the test pass certificate. The only way around this is to get the DVLNI to sort my licence out and I don't hold much hope for that. I'm not even sure they can add the full entitlement to a NI licence now. The DVLA are open today but the DVLNI are closed making it difficult. I'll have to wait until Monday to talk to either of them.

In the meantime I'm trying to find out if it is possible to get another copy of my test pass certificate and if so, how I go about getting it. I'm also looking to know if I'll be breaking the law by driving my bike.

I never thought of 5ive-o, thanks Rainmaker.:)

You would be breaking the law technically by riding without holding a valid license or test pass certificate.

Man of Honour
OP
Would the DSA or the issueing test centre be the place to start?

I have called the DSA who said they do not issue copies of test pass certificates. I'm going to go to the test centre tomorrow to see if they can help.

I have spoken to the DVLNI who now tell me that my licence is unable to have the restriction removed and that I need the test pass certificate to drive my bike legally. They won't give me my test pass certificate back though:rolleyes:

The only way around it if I cannot get a duplicate certificate, is to tell the DVLNI I am applying for a GB licence and need the certificate back, and even then there's no guarantee they will still have it.

Incompetent idiots.

Associate
Its a shot in the dark but maybe the DPA card will work at the test centre after you've tried asking nicely. I doubt the DVLNI will send the certificate back (if it even exists anymore) because as you said, the DVLA will take your details from your existing licence. Test centre is probably your best bet. What bike do you have btw?

Man of Honour
OP
I never thoguht of the DPA angle. I might try that if all else fails. I'll be taking a run down to the test centre tomorrow as it's only around the corner. I'll update then.

The bike is a Suzuki DRZ400SM. I don't have any pics yet but I'll probably have some up at the weekend.:)

Associate
Very frustrating situation :mad:

A DRZ400 will probably be around the 33bhp limit anyway. Suzuki says 39bhp as standard but they only ever make around 33bhp on a dyno.

I rode my old DRZ400 when I was on a restricted license and was never asked for proof of restriction from my insurance company or the the police on the 3 times I was stopped riding it.

Man of Honour
OP
Yoshi RS2, FCR MX 39mm, 3x3 airbox hole, K&N filter and dynojetted :D
I might keep original carb on until all this is sorted as the power will be closer to the limit with it. I was about to order some high lift cams as well but I think I'll leave it a while until this whole thing blows over.

Associate
Yoshi RS2, FCR MX 39mm, 3x3 airbox hole, K&N filter and dynojetted :D
I might keep original carb on until all this is sorted as the power will be closer to the limit with it. I was about to order some high lift cams as well but I think I'll leave it a while until this whole thing blows over.

Nice, all the must have mods for the DRZ :D

You should go all the way and just take the engine out and send it to Eddie Sisneros and get him to build you a 60bhp 485cc stroker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xL1wRY5KY8

Back
Top Bottom