FreeNAS & Router in one?

Associate
Hi,

Is there anyway to have FreeNAS (or alternative), linux based router & bitorrent downloader all rolled up into one package?

Found a few individual apps but it would be nice to have it all on one box :)

Soldato
Would you want the router to be Wired or Wireless?

As there are defiantly ways that you can do this - Firstly you could set up the Linux machine with your incoming Internet connection and use that as your internet gateway (This article Here speaks about this.

Secondly, for BitTorrent this can be ran on the machine yes - and can be accessed through many different ways to allow your Linux box to be both your router and downloader.

Firstly - you could VNC into the machine and remote desktop it to add your torrents, but this is not the best way of doing this.

My way that I would do this is setting up a web server on the box and installing the PHP Torrentflux app (The site is Here ). This is a web based front end to the torrent downloader on the server / router - allowing you to access the downloader (to upload a new torrent, set up RSS feed auto downloading etc) from a web address on the network (http 192.168.1.4/torrentflux or something I guess - i'd probably keep it as a bookmark in my bookmark bar).

As for the NAS front - Ubuntu has the ability to do this (There are a few tutorials and links on the ubuntu forums) and you could just build on the ubuntu base for the rest of these things that you want to do!

Hope this helps!

Rich

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the great reply Rich :)

It would be a wireless router/AP...

I actually started installing ubuntu as a VM about 5 mins before reading your post :)

Ill let you know how i get on :)

Soldato
daryll said:
Thanks for the great reply Rich :)

It would be a wireless router/AP...

I actually started installing ubuntu as a VM about 5 mins before reading your post :)

Ill let you know how i get on :)

Awesome - do let me know how you get on - that torrentflux looks a great little webapp.

Add me on MSN if you wish - I think it is in my trust - would like to see how this project goes.

Rich

Associate
OP
Okaly so far so good..

Got Apache, MySQL & TorrentFlux installed and working..looks nice :) havent had much chance to play with it but hopefully will tonight.

Think im going to add snort to this box too for good measure ;)

Will add you to msn tonight if i get on :)

Associate
I have just recently bought a Linkstation NAS and using Freelink and TorrentFlux I now have a working webserver and torrent downloader built into a NAS and it works amazingly well. Great App.
icon14.gif

Soldato
I have a very small 1tb NAS box with duel gigbit lan using an msi axis. I built with a mobile core duo chip so its light on power and cost under £200 for everything bar the hdd's.

It runs on hardly any power (all drives spin down etc) and a very low power mobile chip so leaving it on 24/7 is no problem.

It runs ubuntu and is a wireless router with firewall it also has 2 media centers wired off the spare gigabit port for HD storage, it also:
*Runs azureus with webfront end for torrents (I recommend this)...I have torrentflux b4rt installed its better than plain torrentflux but it still sucks imo (no global speed limits etc).

*It runs Ninan which is a web based usenet downloader

*It runs squid for an encrypted proxy server I use from work

*It runs jinzora which is a web based music organisation thing....I basically can stream my music from home where ever I am in the world...as long as I have a net connection, I use this in work all the time.

*I also use webmin to keep track of the whole thing, and also extplorer which is an excellent webbased file manager.

It does a lot more to boot but I won't bore you anymore :)

Associate
I have a very small 1tb NAS box with duel gigbit lan using an msi axis. I built with a mobile core duo chip so its light on power and cost under £200 for everything bar the hdd's.

It runs on hardly any power (all drives spin down etc) and a very low power mobile chip so leaving it on 24/7 is no problem.

It runs ubuntu and is a wireless router with firewall it also has 2 media centers wired off the spare gigabit port for HD storage, it also:
*Runs azureus with webfront end for torrents (I recommend this)...I have torrentflux b4rt installed its better than plain torrentflux but it still sucks imo (no global speed limits etc).

*It runs Ninan which is a web based usenet downloader

*It runs squid for an encrypted proxy server I use from work

*It runs jinzora which is a web based music organisation thing....I basically can stream my music from home where ever I am in the world...as long as I have a net connection, I use this in work all the time.

*I also use webmin to keep track of the whole thing, and also extplorer which is an excellent webbased file manager.

It does a lot more to boot but I won't bore you anymore :)

This sounds roughly like what I want to do - i.e. stream stuff round the house and to me wherever I am in the world. I'm pretty green when it comes to Linux use (other than playing a little with ubuntu a few years ago). Do you do all this with just ubuntu, jinzora and webmin? Was it relatively easy to set up; meaning could I who knows bugger all about Linux set it up?!

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Associate

I'd be interested in seeing you firewall rules for azureus, for some reason I can't get it working right.

Back
Top Bottom