Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:32   #31
Killa_ken
Soldato

All im saying is that it's overkill and there is no need. If you want to wear a suit then wear a suit.

I turned up to all of my graduate job interviews wearing a pair of khaki's and a polo, I was offered all the jobs too.

There are no limitations to the mind except those we acknowledge.
Killa_ken is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:33   #32
[FnG]magnolia
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_ken View Post
Go ahead, wear a suit. You will feel like a right pillock, your bound to be doing some task like designing a bridge, or making a new uniform etc etc and your going to end up taking the jacket off straight away.
When you say you've conducted these interviews, I imagine you mean someone else has organised them, understands the interview process and instructed you which notes to take on their behalf?

You've really no idea.

[FnG]magnolia is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:38   #33
Abyss
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyR View Post
Sir Terry Leahy the CEO of Tesco started his career as a "shop Monkey".

Last year his basic salary was 12.5 million not to mention the fortune in shares he has.
12.5 is a long long way above what his basic salary is.
Abyss is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:40   #34
robjf
Mobster

I used to work as a supermarkt assistant in waitrose and to the interview i wore shirt tie and trousers, but no suit jacket. As for the 'type' of person they like to employ, its complete and utter balls. They employed loads of people who i wouldnt say really fit, chavs gallore in my branch.

As for the management, i wouldnt want to work their again to be honest, may be seen as a nice company to work for, but in my time there i couldnt believe how some of the managers got their jobs, complete stuck up tools to be honest.

Good luck!
robjf is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:44   #35
Van Hellseek
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjf View Post
As for the management, i wouldnt want to work their again to be honest, may be seen as a nice company to work for, but in my time there i couldnt believe how some of the managers got their jobs, complete stuck up tools to be honest.
It was the same at M&S. Not only that but there were way too many 'managers'. I never knew who the hell was responsible for what. It seemed to me that they handed the title out to practically anyone who jumped through their hoops enough times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes
I don't even like pancakes.
Van Hellseek is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:45   #36
lemonkettaz
Capodecina

I went for a waitrose group interview a few month back..

was annoying as hell.. rubbish group tasks.. happy happy im such a happy guy and i love everything...

one task we had to make an advert for a random selection of items and i was put in a daft team and i thought of the idea.. told everyone what to say and i didnt get a job..

group interviews are a joke, normally the retard gets it
lemonkettaz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:02   #37
robjf
Mobster

Well i can honestly say i dont think Waitrose' 'selection' method is working. And i despise any company that makes its prospective staff do things like that for such basic jobs, its almost humiliating in my opinion.
robjf is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:02   #38
Cobertizo
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonkettaz View Post
i was put in a daft team and i thought of the idea.. told everyone what to say and i didnt get a job..
Those situations are always difficult. On the one hand, you want your team to do well, so may need to do a lot of telling them what to do. On the other hand, that can look like you aren't good working in a team, and just boss everyone around. A very difficult (impossible?!) balance to achieve if you get put in a "daft" team, as sadly it seems you found...
Cobertizo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:03   #39
Knubje
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobertizo View Post
I disagree. This isn't Tesco. This is a supermarket which targets itself at a more affluent (and, frankly, probably more snobbish) market. Their clientele (stereotype coming up) is less likely to want to see "shop monkeys" on the tills, but instead might prefer tidily dressed "nice young men and women". Wear a suit and you mark yourself out against some of the other people there who may be dressed more casually, and the first impression you will create is that you aren't just a "shop monkey", but will be able to present the right image to the customer.

In the end, you aren't getting the job from the other people that might think you look a "tit". You are being hired by the people who want to know that you are going to do a good job, and aren't going to mess them around. And if there is anyone near management at the interviews, then they'll be in suits anyway, so you won't be out of place.
I worked for 'trose back in the day. I wore a suit to my interview with the store manager (must do it differently these days) and I got the job with ease I would say.

Gordy and everyone else are 100% correct. Suited and booted every time.

Whatever you look like in your interview,if you get the job you're gonna be stuck wearing the god awful green shirt and grey trousers so take the oppertunity to stand out and be a man.

**Official OcUK Kitteh owner!**
Knubje is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:06   #40
Killa_ken
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FnG]magnolia View Post
When you say you've conducted these interviews, I imagine you mean someone else has organised them, understands the interview process and instructed you which notes to take on their behalf?

You've really no idea.

By which I mean I've sifted through applications, selected candidates, invited them to interviews and given them set tasks. Then decided who to give the job to.

There are no limitations to the mind except those we acknowledge.
Killa_ken is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:14   #41
Kreeeee
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek View Post
It was the same at M&S. Not only that but there were way too many 'managers'. I never knew who the hell was responsible for what. It seemed to me that they handed the title out to practically anyone who jumped through their hoops enough times.
Same at Sainsbury's.

Kreeeee is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:15   #42
caff
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_ken View Post
Believe me, no one there will be wearing a suit, MAYBE a shirt. I've never seen anyone come in a suit only a guy in shirt and tie who quite clearly went red faced when he walked in.
And it might have nothing to do with the fact he might by nature be a shy person who turns red when self concious in any stressful situation, e.g. an interview?
caff is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 20:11   #43
McManicMan
Soldato

Waitrose snobbish, lol, trousers and shirt and shoes will be fine

ONE MAN & HIS FROG
McManicMan is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2008, 20:38   #44
glitch
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedNipple View Post
Anyone been to one? Anyone hold them?
Been to one for my first job all those years ago and then in later life ended up recruiting for them and colleagues of mine would occasionally sit in on them to see how the process worked. I'd imagine they still follow the same basic structure.

The essential thing is to look smart and presentable. I wouldn't necessarily worry about a suit unless you've got one that fits you well - an ill-fitting jacket can look worse than no jacket at all, although if your suit looks good and fits well then give it a whirl. You'll be taking the jacket off anyway but it's a good first impression to make, regardless of what other people might think.

Personally I'd suggest a clean, well-ironed shirt and a suitable tie (go for a classic look - plain colours are best) with smart trousers and polished shoes. Try to keep the jewellery down to a bare minimum (you can always express yourself once the job is yours) and ensure you look presentable - be that cleanly shaven, clean hair, whatever.

During the assessments you'll be asked to work in a team to solve various 'problems' and the decision on your suitability will be based on how you act. Being yourself would be the best suggestion I could make. Don't try and boss people about and tell them what to do, but at the same time don't be a shrinking violet. Try not to raise your voice, get into arguments or swear. Just be polite and calm and if you have a point to make, wait until you can make it without having to talk over someone.

Waitrose can be a fantastic place to work and the benefits are great. I sorely miss my discount card!

Good luck!
glitch is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 04:55   #45
GordyR
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
12.5 is a long long way above what his basic salary is.
My apologies, a quick google reveals that figure to be inclusive of his shares. Still not bad hey?

GordyR is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 07:33   #46
Mp4
Sgarrista

ware a suit! you will fell the dogs dangles and have a confidence!

good luck!

Mp4 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 08:00   #47
pattojones
Hitman

Forgive me, but what happened to becoming an RAF Pilot?
Were you not selected? I've nothing against Waitrose or shop workers of any sort, but its a bit of a leap from Air Force Pilot to Waitrose Assistant!?

No offence is intended, just curious.
pattojones is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 15:55   #48
Cyber Hamster
Associate

I used to work there when I had my group interview there was only 1 person doing it, group consisted of about 10 people though.
As for suit thats up to you but it wont hurt if you do . I went in shoes,trousers,shirt, leather jacket.

If you get passed the group interview there might be a 1 to 1 interview after that as well.

not a bad company to work for really
Cyber Hamster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 16:02   #49
icehot
Wise Guy

I used to work for waitrose.

Good company and the employee's you will find have generally been with the company for a LONG time.... just make a good first impression and pull your weight and they will treat you really well.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | i5 6600K @ 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z170MX | Inno3D 980Ti 6GB | Geil 3200Mhz DDR4 16GB | Samsung 500GB 850 EVO
icehot is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 20:52   #50
Soviet
Wise Guy

I find it hilarious the amount of activities you have to do in some retail jobs just to land a shop floor monkey role with abysmal pay. Shocking.

Fayers59 on PSN
Last edited by Soviet; 11th Jul 2008 at 20:57.
Soviet is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2008, 22:14   #51
TheOtherOption
Soldato

I've also just applied for some part time work over the summer with the local store of mine, will see if I get an interview !
TheOtherOption is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 01:18   #52
lemonkettaz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I find it hilarious the amount of activities you have to do in some retail jobs just to land a shop floor monkey role with abysmal pay. Shocking.
Yeh its a joke

Well i dont know if it is.. maybe im a joke ive had 3 group interviews (all supermarkets surprisingly) and obviously not got any of them..

even though i knew i performed well in all the tasks. No idea how they select from a group interview, maybe this is where "equal" oppertunities isnt so equal, who knows.

ha, just give it your best and if you dont get in you know you did well
lemonkettaz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 01:29   #53
Converge
Mobster

Having family working at Waitrose i guess i know a little about the ins and outs of my local branch.

They will always, ALWAYS favour the people who have clearly made the effort.

A suit is an absolute must in any interview, who cares even if you were the only one to wear one, shows your willingness to make a good impression.

And yes they are snobbish, at least in the Berkshire branches!

The bad thing. That was the bad thing.
Last edited by Converge; 12th Jul 2008 at 01:32.
Converge is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 01:37   #54
CoreRipOffDuo
Hitman

Wear a suit, if everyone else is dressedin more casual wear take off your jacket. If everyone is dressed in a similar smart style, keep the jacket on.

win/win??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotters
likewise, wife just woke and called me a gayer
CoreRipOffDuo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 01:52   #55
steve258
Mobster

For my tesco "till monkey role" it was just a group informal "talk" about your backgrounds and the jobs you would like to do, followed by a 1 on 1 brief interview. After that we were given a tour around the store and doing work samples in our selected areas/departments. No formal wear at all.

Second time I went in for an Interview a couple of months ago it was just a 15 minutes talk with the personnel manager to sort out the contracted hours and to get all documents in order. Again no formal wear.

Did they specify any particular dress code for the interview? Did you ask? If they say casual wear then don't turn up in a suit. I know it's Waitrose but for a temporary summer job working as an assistant on the shop floor a suit seems unnecessary.
steve258 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 01:59   #56
CoreRipOffDuo
Hitman

First impression is everything though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotters
likewise, wife just woke and called me a gayer
CoreRipOffDuo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 02:14   #57
Converge
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRipOffDuo View Post
Yep

With anything, you should always assume you have to wear a suit. What's the worst that can happen, you come back for the next interview or whatever, not in a suit...

The bad thing. That was the bad thing.
Converge is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 02:46   #58
sunama
Capodecina

Personally, I feel that a suit for this kind of job (ie. Summer job), is a bit too much. If you are happy to wear the suit, then thats fine. You wont be given minus points for making the effort.

If it were me though, I would simply wear a shirt and tie, especially as it is the Summer, hence, a jacket might get too hot.

Its highly unlikely that you will be marked down for not wearing a jacket, however, you should look neat and presentable - ie. nice clean trousers/shirt/tie and clean shoes. You will be marked down if you look scruffy/dirty/filthy. Dont get too hung up on this suit business. If you feel more comfortable with the jacket on, then wear it.

My belief is that they will be looking at other aspects - your behaviour, your speech, the way you behave/react to the other candidates during the group interview. The key is to remain confident in your speech (if you are very young, usually, this is where you will fall over a little, as age usually brings an aire of confidence) and come over as someone who has thought about the position he is applying for.

I once went to a group interview for a similar position and one of the candidates was so nervous, he couldnt speak...yes, I really do mean this, he got so nervous, he lost his power of speech. After all of us started talking though, so did he. He was wearing a suit, but I'm pretty sure he didnt get offered the job. Myself, I didnt wear a jacket as it was the Summer - I was offered the job, but accepted a job elsewhere (for more money).

Also, try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Just try your best. This way, you wont be too nervous.

Good luck man.
sunama is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 02:51   #59
sunama
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRipOffDuo View Post
I totally disagree on this point. I agree in that sometimes first impressions are difficult to get over, but if you are good, you can totally reverse an initial bad impression. Similarly, if you are crap, you could look immaculate and create a really good impression, but as the interview progresses, you will be found out.

I got to an interview really late once. Don't ask.

Anyway, the interviewer laid into me for not giving prior warning. I had a long long long interview/interrogation (90 mins, no breaks) and was offered the job by the end of it because the content of what I said was impressive, even though my initial impression was that of someone who just didnt give a damn.

I agree though, that a bad initial impression isnt something that you would want in an ideal world.
sunama is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2008, 03:00   #60
FlippinEck
Gangster

If its any consoloation, i just wore a smart shirt, black shoes and black trousers, no suit/tie but still smart and presentable compared to the other person who went in for an interview that day (tescos), he was wearing blue jeans, timb boots and a white track top jacket thing. HOWEVER that doesnt mean they wouldnt have hired someone else who turned up like that. There arent even any full blown out neds at my work either. Been workin their part time a few months now and the banter is great and the rewards for working for one of the top supermarkets is good, although the job is pretty dull, its still decent enough pay for what i work. I wont be there forever though! oh and my tesco is pretty snobbish being right in the middle of an upmarket part of Edinburgh, 5 minutes from princes st

FlippinEck is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote