Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:16   #1
Andypandy333
Gangster
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: North East of England
Posts: 185
Renewing my tax disc at a Post Office

Normally I renew my car tax online a few weeks before it runs out but this year it's kind of slpipped my mind. It runs out tomorrow!

Im going down to the post office this morning to get it sorted out but im not to sure what documents I will have to take for proof.

So before I head down does anyone know which ones I will need?

Thanks
Andypandy333 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:17   #2
Duke
Man of Honour
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 32,023
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022117

Quote:
At a Post Office® branch or by post

Use the V11 reminder in person at any Post Office® branch that issues tax discs or by post to the address shown on the reminder form.

Take or send the following:

* the completed V11 reminder
* insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* valid MOT certificate – if the car or motorcycle is over three years old – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* the payment shown on the reminder (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

Duke is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:18   #3
Lopéz
Man of Honour
 
Lopéz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LE9
Posts: 25,432
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/pressoffice/p...280808_09.aspx

"As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

You can do it online today and still drive legally while you wait for it to arrive.


In a collision, there you are. In an explosion, where are you?
Lopéz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:19   #4
Duke
Man of Honour
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 32,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopéz View Post
You can do it online today and still drive legally while you wait for it to arrive.
Didn't know that. Very sensible!

Duke is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:19   #5
Ice Rich
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,411
You could do it on-line and then put up a sticker saying 'Tax in post', I think this is still allowed? Any roadside checks would be ok as it would show you have paid tax on their systems.


Ice Rich is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 10:50   #6
K.C. Leblanc
Sgarrista
 
K.C. Leblanc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Glocestershire
Posts: 7,847
If you are going to the post office, bare in mind that many smaller sub post offices don't do car tax.


BOOM!
K.C. Leblanc is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 11:52   #7
nicholas_yiu
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Reading
Posts: 1,807
A little bit OT but still related.

I got my new tax disc through the post about 3 weeks ago and have been keeping it in my glove box since.

Can I replace my old one now or do I have to wait till the 1st of December? Knowing myself, I will probably forget and get fined for not displaying a valid tax disc or something.

I could not find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone here know? I tried google but there were mixed answers.
nicholas_yiu is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 12:08   #8
Tom|Nbk
Capodecina
 
Tom|Nbk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 20,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopéz View Post
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/pressoffice/p...280808_09.aspx

"As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

You can do it online today and still drive legally while you wait for it to arrive.
God damn, wish I'd known that. I bought mine in the post office yesterday, it's due on Mon.

Cars : 2008 Audi R8 4.2 V8 | 2003 BMW 320d Touring E91
Rig : i5 750 @ 4.2Ghz | 8GB Ripjaw DDR3 | NVIDIA 980Ti 6G
Tom|Nbk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 13:39   #9
Cob
Capodecina
 
Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Antrim town
Posts: 16,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_yiu View Post
A little bit OT but still related.

I got my new tax disc through the post about 3 weeks ago and have been keeping it in my glove box since.

Can I replace my old one now or do I have to wait till the 1st of December? Knowing myself, I will probably forget and get fined for not displaying a valid tax disc or something.

I could not find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone here know? I tried google but there were mixed answers.
You can replace it now.

They would not have issued you with one starting next month if you weren't already covered for this month (it would have started on 1st Nov if you weren't covered already for November).

Cob is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 15:04   #10
Camalot
Soldato
 
Camalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 6,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom|Nbk View Post
God damn, wish I'd known that. I bought mine in the post office yesterday, it's due on Mon.
I bought mine last month lol.

Kept it in my glove box ready.

I didn't know about the 5 days thing either.


The destination isn't important, it's the journey
Camalot is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2008, 19:12   #11
teulk
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: jarrow
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cob View Post
You can replace it now.

They would not have issued you with one starting next month if you weren't already covered for this month (it would have started on 1st Nov if you weren't covered already for November).
No you cant put it in your window yet as your not displaying a valid tax disc. The tax disc you have is only valid from 1.12.08. When my car was SORN i got my tax disc in advance so does that mean i can put it in my window and drive - no as my car tax did not start until the begining of the next month and my car would have still been un-taxed until the new tax disc came into effect.

Technically your car would still be taxed but you would still be displaying an improper tax disc and you may still pick up a fine if caught.
teulk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:23.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)