Grand Theft Auto 4

Permabanned
Has anyone done the Paper Trail mission, using the mouse and keyboard to fly the helicopter? The controls are horrible. Is the only way to make the chopper fly forwards to keep picking up the mouse and moving it forwards? I bet it's easy with an analogue joystick because you could just keep it pushed forwards the whole time but with a mouse you can't do that.

I caught the other chopper up, but I was too high for Jacob to hit it. But I wasn't able to descend without losing too much speed :/ And then the other chopper gets away.

I hoped the annoying flying missions from San Andreas wouldn't be in GTA IV. Mind you the choppers in San Andreas were easier to fly by far.

edit - just realised you can use numpad 8 to pitch forward so that helps. (still can't do the mission though, grr.) (did it eventually)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yer, it runs OK and that's about it.

In certain places it'll max out at around 71 FPS but in other places and times when it rains, the FPS will drop to around 20 - 28. If the patch does what it says its going to do, then just 10 FPS on top of the lowest should make it more than playable for me.

Patch Is On The Way
We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.
The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays
-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
-Overall savings to memory
-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
-Multiplayer character settings are preserved
-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

So nothing to improve the actual performance of the game.

Soldato
Whats the point of definition toggle ? press P & it slightly blurs up the graphics, maybe some of you are already playing it like that ,lol

I didn't even know there was a definition toggle!!.

Visited the tw@ internet cafe for the first time last night and the computer terminal screen was graphically corrupted quite badly, like a texture issue or something. Can just about make out the email screen buttons but thats about it.

Anyone had that?. I restarted the game but can't seem to get rid of it.:confused:

Soldato
I just downloaded the XP32 version of 180.84, it shows as a 72meg file & when I got to the Nvidia install I selected 'run' & it extracted the files & suddenly changed to Fraps installer WTF?

Omg, I'm glad someone else has this problem too, happened to me a few months ago, every time I tried to install an nVidia driver it started to install Fraps, what a bizzare issue :confused:

Associate
Couple of fixes for problems I had....

Probably already posted here but here goes:
I had a problem with my analog triggers not triggering true trigger like., fixed by:

Start > Run > type in regedit

Then go to Edit > Find and type in Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) then enter.
Right Click on OEMName and select Modify... In the Value Data it will say Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) Change it to XNA Gamepad and hit Enter.
Turn your wireless pad ON and go to Game Controllers in the Control Panel. If it still says Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) then you need to go back and edit the registry again. When its worked your wireless 360 Controller will show as "XNA Gamepad".
Mine didnt work the 1st time, but did the second.

So that was kool, I re-booted just to be sure, go to load up GTA4..... and nothing, so I try again, nothing, and again ... BINGO ... into the game and asks me to log into GTA Social Club, 'OK' then the terms & agreements page displays, odd I think since it was fine befoer i rebooted. So I proceed to accept and log in, game loads, yup ok, all good, hit Start .... now it wants me to log into GFW, odd again since I saved all this and set it to auto login, type type type ... Enter' .... "Please enter your product key"... like WTF? I dont have one??! :eek: google google google result below.
How to find your GTA IV product key incase of GFWL problems:

Run regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Rockstar Games > Grand Theft Auto IV
Your key is on the right

Now back to killing :p

Soldato
looks like SLI is working now, gave me +10 FPS.

Not to get too happy though, the game crashes far more frequently now, could just about do one short mission, I even got BSOD in Vista64.

I'll take this back, looks like SLI is working, but the game is not making any use of it.

I think FRAPS was giving me erroneous readings. I'm back to 60 FPS:mad: with game crashing all the time.

Caporegime
Not been reading this thread for a few days, is anyone else getting crashes every 10-15 mins with Windows Vista DEP (data execution prevention) causing the game to close?

It's driving me nuts, I get half way through a long mission and thats it, poof, gone :(

Caporegime
Not been reading this thread for a few days, is anyone else getting crashes every 10-15 mins with Windows Vista DEP (data execution prevention) causing the game to close?

It's driving me nuts, I get half way through a long mission and thats it, poof, gone :(

Is it DEP causing the issue? Just disable it for the time being? Worth a try if you think it's that.

Permabanned
GTAIV-2008-12-11-13-54-46-00.jpg

^ can someone remind me where the Ferrari is on the map again? I found it the other day but lost it :(

I remember it being in someone's driveway in a posh area!

Cheers!

theres a ferrari garage somewhere

Back
Top Bottom