Fiat Punto MOT Failure Help please.

Soldato
Okay i need help with the following items please, there are 12 items in questions, constructive critisism only please! :D

1) Nearside front position lamp(s) not in good working order (not working)[1.1.4a]

Headlight bulb change, quite obv..

2) Offside headlamp aim too low [1.6]

Easilly sorted?

3) Registration plate lamp not working [1.1.5c]

What sort of bulb is this?

4) Offside rear fog lamp not in good working order (not working) [1.1.6b]

Again, what sort of bulb is this? Might sound dumb but i didnt know you had a rear fog lamp :eek:

5) Offside rear position lamp(s) adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.1.4d]

Indicators? Bad earth? Way of sorting?

6) Offside stop lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.3.2g]

+

7) Offside rear direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.5.ale]

Both bad earths??

8) Further to this thread Offside (front to rear) Brake pipe excessively corroded [3.6.b.2c]

Now, im not covered any more, it was already changed back in 2003.. So i need to do it myself but apparantly its like half inch wide pipe? Can i not just weld a copper pipe in there??

9) Offside front brake binding

Can i do this myself?

10) Nearside Front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

Whats this?

11) Nearside front front brake juddering severly [3.7.a.2b] **DANGEROUS**

What could be causing that?

12) Front Brakes inbalanced [3.7.a.2e] **DANGEROUS**

Not a clue about this..

Help me please :D

Man of Honour
I'm all for people doing a bit of DIY servicing but if you didn't notice problems with the brakes when driving, I would personally get a garage to fix those things (apart from the bulbs - why didn't you check the basics like that before going for MOT anyway?).

Soldato
OP
Just bought the car on the cheep, never had a car before, just gone in for an MOT, its flown the last couple and ive bought it from a reliable friend so he didnt actually think anything was up but we are both daft wen it comes to cars..

I only drove it from the garrage back to my mates house so we can work on it, thats the only time ive driven it and it didnt feel that bad.. But as i said, ive only just passed myself so im inexperienced.. I didnt think to check the car.

Associate
The non-pipe-related brake bits are all likely related to one of the calipers binding - new discs and pads, hopefully the caliper can be unstuck and greased up again and be fine, though it could be properly knackered. Shouldn't be too expensive on a Punto, though.

Soldato
OP
The non-pipe-related brake bits are all likely related to one of the calipers binding - new discs and pads, hopefully the caliper can be unstuck and greased up again and be fine, though it could be properly knackered. Shouldn't be too expensive on a Punto, though.

Can i link parts ive found on the auction site?

Pads/calipers/discs..

Soldato
OP
This - FIAT Punto 1.2 8v 10/99-8/03 FRONT BRAKE DISC PADS

or

This - FIAT Punto 1.2 16v 10/99-8/03 FRONT BRAKE DISC PADS

I think this is what i need..

THIS IS A BRAND NEW SET (PAIR) OF FRONT BRAKE DISCS AND PADS (KIT) FOR THE FIAT PUNTO.(PAD851 and DM2458)

THEY FIT THE FIAT PUNTO 1100cc (1993-1999), 1200cc (1993 to 1999), 1400cc (1993-1999) AND 1.7D (1994-1998).---all 8 valve engines

Man of Honour
1) Nearside front position lamp(s) not in good working order (not working)[1.1.4a]
Check fuses and/or replace bulb.

2) Offside headlamp aim too low [1.6]

Usually adjustable by a screw on top of the headlamp unit

3) Registration plate lamp not working [1.1.5c]

Take it out and have a look.....

4) Offside rear fog lamp not in good working order (not working) [1.1.6b]

Fog lamp bulbs are generally standard - take it out and have a look.....

5) Offside rear position lamp(s) adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.1.4d]

Rear position lamps are sidelights - ie your normal back lights. Either the indicator or the brake light is making it flicker - usually a dodgy/corroded earth or the alloy tracking inside the lamp is corroded. Clean it up with wire wool or similar

6) Offside stop lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.3.2g]

As above but for the brake light - just clean up all the rear earth points and lamp tracks, common problem on Puntos (and many other cars)

7) Offside rear direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp [1.5.ale]
All these 3 points are the same problem

8) Further to this thread Offside (front to rear) Brake pipe excessively corroded [3.6.b.2c]

You need to get a new one made. It's just copper pipe that you bend to shape and flare the ends. I'd pay a garage to do this, it is generally an inexpensive job and awkward to do unless you are a keen DIY'er

9) Offside front brake binding

Either swap the caliper for a decent second hand one or stip and grease up the existing one and hope that sorts it.

10) Nearside Front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.
Sounds like a knackered lower arm/wishbone bush. Accepted practice is to change the whole thing, they aren't normally expensive and are usually held on by about 3 bolts

11) Nearside front front brake juddering severly [3.7.a.2b] **DANGEROUS**
Usually a dodgy disc or a dodgy caliper, possibly a loose caliper mounting bolt.

12) Front Brakes inbalanced [3.7.a.2e] **DANGEROUS**

One caliper is pressing harder than the other when you push the brake pedal. Likely cause is your siezed/sticking caliper.

Soldato
OP
Check fuses and/or replace bulb.

Usually adjustable by a screw on top of the headlamp unit

Take it out and have a look.....

Fog lamp bulbs are generally standard - take it out and have a look.....

Rear position lamps are sidelights - ie your normal back lights. Either the indicator or the brake light is making it flicker - usually a dodgy/corroded earth or the alloy tracking inside the lamp is corroded. Clean it up with wire wool or similar

As above but for the brake light - just clean up all the rear earth points and lamp tracks, common problem on Puntos (and many other cars)

All these 3 points are the same problem

You need to get a new one made. It's just copper pipe that you bend to shape and flare the ends. I'd pay a garage to do this, it is generally an inexpensive job and awkward to do unless you are a keen DIY'er

Either swap the caliper for a decent second hand one or stip and grease up the existing one and hope that sorts it.

Sounds like a knackered lower arm/wishbone bush. Accepted practice is to change the whole thing, they aren't normally expensive and are usually held on by about 3 bolts

Usually a dodgy disc or a dodgy caliper, possibly a loose caliper mounting bolt.

One caliper is pressing harder than the other when you push the brake pedal. Likely cause is your siezed/sticking caliper.

Legend.

So pretty much all the work bar the pipe can be done myself?

THIS IS A BRAND NEW SET (PAIR) OF FRONT BRAKE DISCS AND PADS (KIT) FOR THE FIAT PUNTO.(PAD851 and DM2458)

THEY FIT THE FIAT PUNTO 1100cc (1993-1999), 1200cc (1993 to 1999), 1400cc (1993-1999) AND 1.7D (1994-1998).---all 8 valve engines

Am i right? shall i just replace the front 2? £45 for the lot so i think i should just change them all..

As for the earthing, is that hard? Am i right in saying i just need to take the wire out, cut the end, pull off some of the plastic exposing more wire and slot it back in? Should that sort it? Shall i change any fuses or anything and if so where are the fuse?

whats a lower arm/wishbone? Hard to fix? If i lifted the car up a little could this be done?

Tyre needs changing too, thats advisory though.. Ill change it i may aswell, kind of prices am i looking at for one wheel/tyre.

I can get a reg plate lamp for £8.05 delivered.

Man of Honour
Why buy a whole number plate lamp unit? It's probably a 60p bulb. The bulbs do come out you know :confused:

Yes you need to jack the car up to change the suspension arm, are you sure you should be doing this yourself, you er... don't sound particularly competent :D

Soldato
OP
Why buy a whole number plate lamp unit? It's probably a 60p bulb. The bulbs do come out you know :confused:

Yes you need to jack the car up to change the suspension arm, are you sure you should be doing this yourself, you er... don't sound particularly competent :D

LOL its because i dont know what im looking for, once im at the car i wont have a problem, ive changed things like this before and im a better learner when i have to do it so i find ways by resources.. It wont be hard im conpetant wen it comes to DIY stuff and figuring things out and my mates dads gonna help so..

im gonna leave the arm to the mechanics..

I bought the whole lamp unit because i didnt think before purchasing :) Smart eh!

So im just gonna auction site some bulbs..

Man of Honour

Changing the discs and pads will not solve your binding brakes. The calipers are sticking. You need to repair or replace the calipers. What you are proposing is a bit like changing the laces in a pair of trainers when the sole has come unstuck.

Soldato
Scalfords will have the bulbs you require mate. Check out new light clusters, might be fairly cheap way of sorting any corrosion and save messing about with the units you have. Make sure you've checked that is the issue tho. Get a garage to do the suspension and brakepipe, fix the rest yourself.

Soldato
OP
Changing the discs and pads will not solve your binding brakes. The calipers are sticking. You need to repair or replace the calipers. What you are proposing is a bit like changing the laces in a pair of trainers when the sole has come unstuck.

Oh calipers! Oh ill look for them too then..

How about these bulbs for the fogs and headlamps..

Fiat Punto 94-99 UPGRADE XENON BULB +FOG SET 100W H4 H3

I know Xenon are classed as chavvy? Are they not? But i dont care, if they work they work, ill only be keeping the car a year or so until i can afford a much better one :D Ive just got a second job so all the money from that will go in the bank for saving.

Scalfords will have the bulbs you require mate. Check out new light clusters, might be fairly cheap way of sorting any corrosion and save messing about with the units you have. Make sure you've checked that is the issue tho. Get a garage to do the suspension and brakepipe, fix the rest yourself.

My kind of talking! Quality!

Will you both email me please :D Email in trust.

Are bulbs universal??

Scalfords Spare Bulb Kit No.16?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
100w bulbs are illegal on the road though.

Oh right, cheers.

Didnt know, these are the chavvy ones you see with idiots who bang them on full beam am i right? i best avoid these tbh..

How about Scalfords spare bulb kit no.16? :D

Should i go brams mew for calipers? Finding it difficult to find any.. Think ive found some for £60 actually.. Brand new but im not sure if they are right.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You don't need a spare bulb kit, it's a waste of money the same as buying a whole new number plate light unit was a waste of money if the bulb has gone.

Just go to Halfords, walk to the bulb section, open the flipchart, look up your Punto and the chart will tell you what bulbs you need for which lamps. They all have number codes so it really doesn't get any easier. Don't make things harder than they need to be :)

Back
Top Bottom