Elite Frontier First Encounters - Russian fan remake

Soldato
Download links here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.elite/browse_thread/thread/277ff74a2bd85f7a?pli=1

Download the original release and then then subsequent patches incramentally for it to work properly.

These Russian guys have done what looks like quite a spectacular remake graphics wise of FFE. It is all in English despite being done by Russians - it is also only a Beta version so don't complain too much if it doesn't work properly - As my missus always says - I want solutions not problems.

I'll get back with some known issues and solutions as they come up but for now if you're interested, download and have a play.

The site of the guys doing all the hard yards: http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...hp?topic_id=119689&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

0_12110_9801fde_L.jpg

83aeb03fd6d7.jpg

11de13ed19a7.jpg

961a8ab7eba3.jpg

Permabanned
re

great stuff i really miss elite...its the only space sim apart from tie fighter that feels complete i think...thanks for the link:)

oh yeah there was a mod that came out a few years ago for this game that allowed all to be in high res,console and outside views,inside console was redesigned

go here if your interested

http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Can I just point out, it's not a really remake in the true sense of the word!
Its based on the JJFFE codebase, and most stuff is still running on permutations of the original code.
What's been done, as I understand it is a more comprehensive rebuild of the rendering engine in D3D, plus the addition of hi-res textures for a lot of stuff :)

Cheers

-Leezer-

Permabanned
If you're xenophobic, yeah.

Since when has been asking if a piece of software has any known problems with malware or viruses been "xenophobic"? In my book it's called being cautious, but then you're probably one of those people who sees offence everywhere and gets offended on other people's behalf!

Then again I forget that these are the OcUK fora, and high horses breed pretty quickly around these parts.

Soldato
OP
Since when has been asking if a piece of software has any known problems with malware or viruses been "xenophobic"? In my book it's called being cautious, but then you're probably one of those people who sees offence everywhere and gets offended on other people's behalf!

Then again I forget that these are the OcUK fora, and high horses breed pretty quickly around these parts.

I think the question that would need to be asked is "Why?".

Why would they spend all this time modding a game that they clearly love only to use it as a tool to steal information off themselves? They haven't advertised it at all, it took it being in an extremely old news group that as not been very active apart from about 4-5 users for it to come to light to English speaking people.

I honestly think that the only reason anything about key loggers was mentioned was because it's done by Russians. And you know that is just stupid and more than a little insulting to the industrious chaps that have done the hard work on this. It's like suggesting that any software made by people in the UK is going to result in some football thug turning up at your front door and trying to bottle you.

Just because there are some unscrupulous people in Russia doesn't mean they all are. You lot need your heads examined.

If defending some guys that have done some brilliant work of their own backs from one eyed xenophobes means that I'm going to be perceived as being on a 'high horse' then I will. I will also defend Aekeron to the hilt as well.

Man of Honour

The only reason you're asking is because it's made in Russia. I'm not taking offence on anyone's behalf, I'm just sighing at the attitudes of people on here.

If the OP had said that "Made by a group of French programmers but it's all in English" we wouldn't have had any comments about spyware/malware - much as we don't about all the English homebrew games that are posted by Neil79 weekly.

Associate
If the OP had said that "Made by a group of French programmers but it's all in English" we wouldn't have had any comments about spyware/malware - much as we don't about all the English homebrew games that are posted by Neil79 weekly.

No, some bright spark would've asked "Is it about surrendering? HURHURHUR!" in true OcUK stylee.

Back
Top Bottom