Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 18th May 2009, 16:11   #1
Skidder
Man of Honour

abandoned house - law

Does anyone know if a house which is privately owned but unoccupied must be kept in a habitable state? There is a house near me which is secure but unliveable and the owner isn't doing anything to fix it up. (there are no floors inside etc.)

I would like to understand the law on this. I wouldn't mind seeing it improved or may be buying it to renovate and would like to put a fire under the owner if poss. My google skills have failed me! Thanks

Skidder is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:22   #2
touch
Sgarrista

Cant see how/why they would force people to make changes to their house unless it was a danger to the public.

you jump from stone to stone when the grains are all
touch is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:24   #3
alex24
Capodecina

Perhaps they're waiting for finance and redeveloping it? Could be in the process of being sold on to someone too.

As long as it's secure I can't see the problem. maybe they need a notice that it's structually unsafe if that's the case.

alex24 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:25   #4
Jez
Caporegime

No, of course not. How is the condition of his privately owned house a concern of anyone but the owner of the property?

Jez is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:28   #5
scorza
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch View Post
Cant see how/why they would force people to make changes to their house unless it was a danger to the public.
What about if a burglar breaks into the house and hurts himself while in the house. Won't the owner be liable for violating the burglar's human rights?
scorza is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:33   #6
alex24
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorza View Post
What about if a burglar breaks into the house and hurts himself while in the house. Won't the owner be liable for violating the burglar's human rights?
I hope the burglar would be liable for being an arse. However, I would not be at all suprised if the owner could be sued, such is the society we live in today.

alex24 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:37   #7
Swifty55
Mobster

Health and Safety don't apply for domestics.

Swifty55 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:38   #8
Tefal
Capo Crimine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
No, of course not. How is the condition of his privately owned house a concern of anyone but the owner of the property?
iirc the roof has to be in sound condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asim18 View Post
I already told you, you cannot compete at my intellectual level so there's no need to try.
Tefal is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:39   #9
Westyfield2
Capodecina

There is some law but I don't know what it is. (Yes I know that's a great help.)

There's a property down in the city centre that someone bought and wanted to convert it to XYZ business use (pub/bar I think). Never got planning permission despite trying for years. They let the place get into a right state but were refusing to spend a penny on it until they could get the planning permission they wanted. Recently the council have made them put a new roof on it as it was in such a state, but still haven't given planning permission for business use so it's still sitting there empty (but with a decent roof on it).

Westyfield2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:41   #10
mejinks
Mobster

Umm, whats it got to do with you?

mejinks is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:47   #11
neoboy
Sgarrista

Is there a damp problem coming through from the other side or something?
neoboy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:53   #12
codec
Mobster

this gives me an idea of building a house with a 60ft drop inside onto spikes and making it look like there's a shed load of fancy equipment in there - that will get the burglars!

codec is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:54   #13
M0T
Mobster

There is some kind of law but I dont really know too much about it. All I know is that there is a house down our road that has been unoccupied for 20 years and was a complete mess (there was a car under about 10ft of grass/weeds/hedges).

A couple of years ago it became eligible for the council to repossess so they sent off the required letters and within a couple of weeks someone turned up cleared the garden and put a few new windows in and now its being left again.

Apparently the ownership of the house is under dispute, the original owner died and the 2 children are locked in some kind of legal battle and are apparently just waiting for the other one to die off so they can inherit the whole place.

M0T is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:09   #14
Strife212
Capodecina

You can move into the house and legally he cant do anything to get you out.

Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4.0Ghz | 24GB RAM
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB
Strife212 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:16   #15
Skidder
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0T View Post
There is some kind of law but I dont really know too much about it. All I know is that there is a house down our road that has been unoccupied for 20 years and was a complete mess (there was a car under about 10ft of grass/weeds/hedges).

A couple of years ago it became eligible for the council to repossess so they sent off the required letters and within a couple of weeks someone turned up cleared the garden and put a few new windows in and now its being left again.

Apparently the ownership of the house is under dispute, the original owner died and the 2 children are locked in some kind of legal battle and are apparently just waiting for the other one to die off so they can inherit the whole place.
That's interesting, it's a similar situation as I understand it. It's been 25 years in this case too.

Old 18th May 2009, 17:16   #16
borich_planner
Wise Guy

Ok guys, In terms of Planning, the Planning Enforcement team can serve a Section 215 Notice of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) which deals with the above problem. However this is only done at extremes eg when:

A notice can be served on the owner or occupier of any private land or building which is in an unreasonably untidy condition and which the Council consider has an adverse affect on the amenity of the area. The Notice puts a charge on the land or property and specifies what needs to be done to correct the situation within a given timescale. It is an offence not to comply with the notice within the specified period.

See a link here:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/archiv...g/derelictland

Your best bet is to phone your Council's Planning Enforcement Team

Borich
borich_planner is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:22   #17
Skidder
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
That's a failry emphatic view, is it based on anything? I know there is law regarding this, I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefal View Post
iirc the roof has to be in sound condition.
that makes sense, the roof has been done (and only the roof) so may be he has addressed issues within the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejinks View Post
Umm, whats it got to do with you?
Nice attitude and thanks for your help. Do you always contribute this much, I will remember to look out for your posts.

There are several reasons I would like to motivate the owner in to do something (or me getting the opportunity to do it, or someone else). It is not well secured and is a potential source of access to my property and it looks horrible and could deflate the value of my property.

Old 18th May 2009, 17:23   #18
Skidder
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by borich_planner View Post
Ok guys, In terms of Planning, the Planning Enforcement team can serve a Section 215 Notice of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) which deals with the above problem. However this is only done at extremes eg when:

A notice can be served on the owner or occupier of any private land or building which is in an unreasonably untidy condition and which the Council consider has an adverse affect on the amenity of the area. The Notice puts a charge on the land or property and specifies what needs to be done to correct the situation within a given timescale. It is an offence not to comply with the notice within the specified period.

See a link here:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/archiv...g/derelictland

Your best bet is to phone your Council's Planning Enforcement Team

Borich

Brilliant, thanks very much, exactly what I needed. Always nice to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about make a contribution and rare in GD!

Last edited by Skidder; 18th May 2009 at 17:26.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:52   #19
LOAM
Sgarrista

The people you should speak to are environmental health, most councils have "Open and derelict housing" legislation that in certain cases (its occurred a lot in Notts) the council will Compulsory purchase the offending eyesore or apply pressure via the above planning legislation to get the owner to sort it out.

To all the posters giving it "what's is to you", unless you have ever lived near a derelict house you can have no appreciation of the problems they can cause to the neighbourhood, from increased crime to reduced house prices. They are an eyesore and should be stopped as soon as they can.

link to goggle
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ope...ient=firefox-a
LOAM is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:54   #20
leaskovski
Sgarrista

Hmm, you could get the council involved. IIRC from watching the polotics show, the council can force an order on the owner to hand it over to them so they can do it up and rent it out on behalf of the landlord, almost making it a council home. I can't remember what it is for the life of me though. It was called something similar to an ASBO. lol

Edit:

A bit of googling finds this stuff....

http://www.themovechannel.com/news/3f91b2f7-ffe9/

CPO's or 'Compulsory purchase orders'

Last edited by leaskovski; 18th May 2009 at 18:03.
leaskovski is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:56   #21
LOAM
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaskovski View Post
Hmm, you could get the council involved. IIRC from watching the polotics show, the council can force an order on the owner to hand it over to them so they can do it up and rent it out on behalf of the landlord, almost making it a council home. I can't remember what it is for the life of me though. It was called something similar to an ASBO. lol
CPO (compulsory purchase order)
LOAM is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:03   #22
borich_planner
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaskovski View Post
That was on the one show and is a very last resourt, your first port of call should be Planning Enforcement. You might even get a planner as helpful as me!

Borich
borich_planner is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:06   #23
leaskovski
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by borich_planner View Post
That was on the one show and is a very last resourt, your first port of call should be Planning Enforcement. You might even get a planner as helpful as me!

Borich
Argghhh, well it looks like the old brain is failing me. lol

leaskovski is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:09   #24
fini
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife212 View Post
You can move into the house and legally he cant do anything to get you out.
Worst advice ever - completely inaccurate.

quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur
fini is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:23   #25
jamie2497
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fini View Post
Only way is to adversly possess it which means staying there for 10-12 years!
Last edited by jamie2497; 18th May 2009 at 18:31.
jamie2497 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:23   #26
Skidder
Man of Honour

I'll call planning in the morning and hope I get Borich on the phone!

Old 18th May 2009, 18:23   #27
Strife212
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fini View Post
What, it's true, you can't file criminal charges, only civil proceedings which are feeble and take ages. If the house is actually in that state its unlikely the owner would ever even discover what was going on for years anyway. It's not like I was offering it as a serious course of action in this case anyway

Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4.0Ghz | 24GB RAM
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB
Last edited by Strife212; 18th May 2009 at 18:26.
Strife212 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:25   #28
K.C. Leblanc
Sgarrista

It's not unknown for houses to left incomplete to avoid Council Tax.

BOOM!
K.C. Leblanc is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:31   #29
Glaucus
Man of Honour

best thing is if you are interested is to trace he owner and ask if they want to sale.

Glaucus is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:36   #30
Skidder
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidHell2 View Post
best thing is if you are interested is to trace he owner and ask if they want to sale.
have spoken to him already and he doesn't (but I think there may be a dispute in the background so perhaps he doesn't have the right to sell it)