Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 24th Jun 2009, 23:17   #1
Welshy
Mobster

Spec me a nice area to live, near Crawley

So, I've gone and got myself a job down in Crawley, starting in September (yay for me ).

The thing is, I live up in Bedfordshire and have no idea about the West Sussex/Surrey area. I've got a couple of months to find a nice place to live, so hoped that the few of you who live in that area may be able to provide me with your opinions - where's cheap/expensive, nice/rough, which roads tend to turn into carparks in rush hour, etc.

There are three things to bear in mind though.
1. Has to be within commutable distance to Crawley (for obvious reasons).
2. Ideally situated so that it won't take a day to travel back up to Bedford/Milton Keynes.
3. Ideally near to or within a town, as I'm pretty fed up with living out in a tiny village where I am now

The obvious and simplest choice would be to live in Crawley itself, but I've heard it's not that nice a town, or is it?
Welshy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 23:37   #2
Stretch
Sgarrista

Tumbleweed

Stretch is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 23:39   #3
PureAppleJuice
Wise Guy

Live in Horsham! Reasonable sized town, nice lovely and suburban if you don't mind that sort of pathetic middle class living! 15 - 20 minute drive Crawley. My ex-gf's dad did a Milton Keynes commute every now and then with relative ease. I think wherever you live in West Sussex the long bit to getting to Milton Keynes will be the bottleneck by the M25.

Horsham area in general is reasonably expensive but if you look around well enough i'm sure you'll find something reasonably priced.

The outlying villages of Horsham are alright as well. Places such as Southwater are reasonably nice and cheaper than Horsham itself - it's pretty much a giant new house estate with some old parts to it. Other villages are a lot smaller but just as nice.

Crawley itself is an absolute dump - i'd try and avoid living in it and too close to it really. Full of chavs. And the closer to London you get the more crowded and more expensive it gets (I think).

Hope this helps a bit... Any more questions about the area and I'll try and help in one way or another, i'm from Horsham if you haven't gathered.
PureAppleJuice is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2009, 23:54   #4
Welshy
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Tumbleweed
I can't say I'm expecting everybody to know the area, but thanks for your input

jidh007: Horsham sounds like a possibility then, thanks for that. Is all of Crawley a dump then? Usually there's a good part somewhere in large towns!
Old 24th Jun 2009, 23:54   #5
SideWinder
Consigliere

Horsham.
I live in Pulborough if you know it?
SideWinder is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 00:02   #6
PureAppleJuice
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
jidh007: Horsham sounds like a possibility then, thanks for that. Is all of Crawley a dump then? Usually there's a good part somewhere in large towns!
There's a few parts of it which are just full of immigrants such as Langley Green, also known as Langladesh

There are of course some nice parts but I think I just tend to write all of Crawley off as it is quite different to Horsham. The issue with Crawley is that it's just got an absolutely bizarre social mix and a lot of the housing and buildings just popped up in the 60's and 70's making it quite an ugly place. In fact for some background Crawley is one of those post-war towns they just 'built', it used to be called Crawley Newtown back in the day haha. Three Bridges, Worth and the bit around Goffs Park are from what a recall the 'nicer' parts of Crawley. There's also a few villages scattered around the outskirts such as Pease Pottage which might be worth a look in?

Haha yeah SideWinder I know Pulborough, got a few friends who live there. Do you know West Chiltington road? :P

Edit: North Horsham might be worth a look in, it's not as nice as say west Horsham or whatever but basically it's a lot cheaper and in fact nearer to Crawley.
Last edited by PureAppleJuice; 25th Jun 2009 at 00:07.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 00:09   #7
SideWinder
Consigliere

...yes i know that road as i used to live in West Chiltington - close to the Italian garage! (Know the owners?).

Small world.
SideWinder is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 07:02   #8
Wyrdo
Capodecina

Horsham or the surrounding area would be perfect, I grew up there. No idea what it costs to live there these days.

Southwater is nice which is a village just outside of Horsham, probably stupidly expensive these days.
Wyrdo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 07:20   #9
Morba
Caporegime

Pound hill, maidenbower and worth are all ok in crawley. Nightmare for rush hour though. Where will you be working?

Founding member of the OcUK 19" Club
Morba is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 13:19   #10
Welshy
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morba View Post
Pound hill, maidenbower and worth are all ok in crawley. Nightmare for rush hour though. Where will you be working?
I'll be working at Thales, in the industrial estate on Manor Royal.

So those places are the nice end of Crawley?
Old 25th Jun 2009, 13:24   #11
The Dread Pirate
Capodecina

Creepy

Reach into your bag of tricks and pull another one...
The Dread Pirate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 18:41   #12
secretspy
Soldato

Crawley is full of chavs. Horsham is nice, or there's Dorking which is about a 30 min drive away. It's a nice little town although doesn't have a great selection of shops e.g. clothing unlike Horsham.

yes we have chavs but they're everywhere these days and its no where near as bad as crawley.

Although according to findaproperty.com house prices are much higher than Horsham

secretspy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 19:15   #13
Jonny69
Man of Honour

Caterham, Esher, Horsham, Claygate, Woking (some parts), Guildford.

AMD K6-2 400 - 64Mb RAM - 8Mb GFX 6Gb HDD
Jonny69 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:19   #14
Morba
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
I'll be working at Thales, in the industrial estate on Manor Royal.

So those places are the nice end of Crawley?
Not really a nice end to crawley, but they are the better areas. stay away from bewbush and ifield and of course langledesh.

Manor Royal is a nightmare during rush hour but you can get onto a few ways from the areas i have just mentioned, which helps :]

Sexretspy mentioned Dorking, i wouldnt bother. its an old peoples home and bloody costly compared to the nicer part of crawley.

Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:31   #15
AFK_Matrix
Wise Guy

Just sent you a email mate, oh and welcome to Crawley lol.

Gigabyte UD5 :: Intel i7920 C0 (Swiftech GTz) : HIS 6970 (XSPC Razor 6970) : 12GB Kingston : 250GB & 300GB Seagate ::Mountain Mods (120.3 Rad, Laing DCC Ultra & Dual Res) : Enermax Liberty 620w : 2 x NEC Multisync 24WMGX3
AFK_Matrix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:46   #16
palmy
Gangster

I currently work for a relatively large employer whom have their head office in Crawley. Can I ask who you are working for?

Crawley is a dump, someone I work with lives in Horsham and he says its completely different. Seem to be quite alot of nice places nearby but not Crawley itself!

palmy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:47   #17
Morba
Caporegime

He will be working for Thales

Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:49   #18
scorza
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morba View Post
Sexretspy mentioned Dorking, i wouldnt bother. its an old peoples home and bloody costly compared to the nicer part of crawley.
Weird that, this girl at work used to live in Dorking and says she hated it, turned her into an alcoholic as there was nothing to do except drink. If I could afford it then I'd live in Dorking like a shot - I guess that's how you know when you're getting old

@OP - another vote for Horsham, suits your requirements perfectly. I moved there 2 years ago, don't have many complaints. I'm sure there are nice areas in Crawley, where the airline pilots live for example, but I've yet to find them I'm afraid Crawley just looks like one big council estate whenever I drive through (with my car doors locked!).
scorza is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:55   #19
Morba
Caporegime

the pilots dont live in crawley, just the cabin crew
pilots live in Copthorne hehe (which is a lovely area, costly though)

Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:05   #20
cookiem0nster
Gangster

If your working for Thales, could live in Northgate, its not bad, very very close to town. If you don't mind driving in, look at the country retreats, copthorne, crawley down, getting into crawley in the morning is relatively hassle free, bit of traffic, but it always moves.

My office is based there, and there are a couple of decent pubs in town.

Three Bridges would be my suggestion though, trains back from london at all hours of the night, trains direct to bedford. Actually not too bad a place to live.
cookiem0nster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:07   #21
PureAppleJuice
Wise Guy

West Sussexers unite! Where abouts in Horsham do you live scorza?
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:07   #22
Morba
Caporegime

i'd rather take a few steps further into pound hill or maidenbower tbh.
3 bridges has more **** heads, as can be seen by the muppets in the pub next to the small park and the kids there.

Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:08   #23
dante6491
Soldato

Go outside Horsham to Bluecoat Pond or over to Warnham. Barnes Green is a proper little village with societies and everything.

dante6491 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:10   #24
PureAppleJuice
Wise Guy

Warnham is ok, not much there though is there really? I suppose if you start looking at villages you may as well start looking at places like Slinfold and that.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:13   #25
scorza
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidh007 View Post
West Sussexers unite! Where abouts in Horsham do you live scorza?
Holbrook - you?
scorza is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:17   #26
PureAppleJuice
Wise Guy

I don't live in Horsham any more really but used to live nearish Novartis.
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:18   #27
Hate
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny69 View Post
Caterham, Esher, Horsham, Claygate, Woking (some parts), Guildford.
Guildford?! that's an hour drive from Crawley.

I was born in Crawley and lived in East Grinstead for 20 years, Crawley is a bit of a pit to be honest, especially areas such as Broadfield. I second Horsham, it's a reasonable area and well connected (I.e it's close to the M23 and you can get a train into London easily, although if you live in Maidenbower or Three Bridges then you can get the First Capital Connect train that goes straight through to Bedford).

Closeby villages include Crawley Down (chav pit), Copthorne (nice, but expensive), towns like Horley (nice enough, nothing special though) and East Grinstead (boring).
Hate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:22   #28
Phil W
Sgarrista

My dad lived near Crawley, can't remember where but it was a nice area.

/edit - East Grinstead!

V/RS
ST
Phil W is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2009, 08:52   #29
secretspy
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorza View Post
Weird that, this girl at work used to live in Dorking and says she hated it, turned her into an alcoholic as there was nothing to do except drink. If I could afford it then I'd live in Dorking like a shot - I guess that's how you know when you're getting old
oh gee now i feel old!! (i'm 24)

how can a town make you an alcoholic, its you who makes you an alcoholic! Okay we have loads of pubs but no one forces you to go in them.
Most of the time the pubs are full of youngsters.

Dorking's not great I admit that but I quite like being away from the clubs and bars. Maybe that does sound "old" but i like to go out in neighbouring towns for proper nights out and then retreat back to somewhere quiet.

We have a retirement home but i think nowadays there's pretty much an equal amount of young people against old people.

Dorking's expensive because it's an easy commute to most places in particular London. Quite a few people live in Dorking but work in the city.

I wouldn't rule out living somewhere else one day but at the moment i work in Dorking so it's easier for me.

secretspy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2009, 09:00   #30
Morba
Caporegime

but dorking has more coffee shops and antique stores than anywhere i have ever been before!
It was nice working there though, great place for a head office