Gas & electricity - how much do you pay per month?

Associate
About £40 a month on electricity. Gas is the cruncher for me at around £220 per quarter current average, and I'm pretty frugal with it at that. Obviously gas central heating impacts that fairly substantially so Nov, Dec, Jan might be £280 all in whilst May, Jun, Jul might be £180.

And so on. But, since 2006, I estimate my gas and electricity charges to have gone up by approximately 35%

Soldato
Ours is £36 a month for gas and £32 a month for electric. Family of five (2 adults, 3 children), in a 3 bedroom terraced house. Five PCs and laptops, washer/dryer on all day and up until 2am, 3 TVs, Sky+, consoles etc. Not to mention the puppy heat lamp, and snake heat lamps and mats etc. Not bad really. :)

Soldato
Ours is £36 a month for gas and £32 a month for electric. Family of five (2 adults, 3 children), in a 3 bedroom terraced house. Five PCs and laptops, washer/dryer on all day and up until 2am, 3 TVs, Sky+, consoles etc. Not to mention the puppy heat lamp, and snake heat lamps and mats etc. Not bad really. :)

who are you with (gas elec company)?

Soldato
Just got a £470 bill for the quarter so it seems £150 ish a month for both gas and electric. That seems ridiculously excessive to me being as I live in a small 2 bedroom house with my girlfriend. I always turn stuff off when I'm done with it and don't leave my PCs on all the time so I am a little confused as to why it's so much. I don't have a tumble dryer or a dishwasher and I don't have any CRT or plasma screens - just LCD monitors on the PCs and a couple of LCD TVs which don't even get used that much anyway.

Most of my friends who live in a similar size place only seem to be paying around £60 to £80 a month, so I'm quite sure something is very wrong here. My request to switch provider should be complete within a week or so, so I guess I'll soon find out.

Are your meters read or estimated? I had some cracking bills early last year, nearly double what we actually use.

Soldato
according to their tarrif by us paying 160 per month we are exceeding most high energy users....this doesnt seem right.
we are with edf at the moment i thought they were meant to be cheap.

Soldato
Our household bill has increased too. I think it's price increases and use of washing machine and electric cookers which cost the most.
You should check to see how fast the disc spins in the electric meter box when using different appliances.

Soldato
£32 a month for electric. Family of five (2 adults, 3 children), in a 3 bedroom terraced house. Five PCs and laptops, washer/dryer on all day and up until 2am, 3 TVs, Sky+, consoles etc. Not to mention the puppy heat lamp, and snake heat lamps and mats etc. Not bad really. :)

£384 a year for electric ????
I find that very hard to believe considering what you have stated..... are you sure you have calculated it correctly ? Are you all mostly out of the house ?

I work with a guy same amount of kids - same house, roughly same appliances (apart from the heat lamps) and his last quarterly electric bill was £285 - His yearly bill was around £700 last year - he's expecting close to £900 this year.

According to the last report I read (from University of Strathclyde) on electric usage - An average family in the UK with two children uses 5,480 kWh of electricity per year (with Parents working, children at school) - and that was a few years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
£384 a year for electric ????
I find that very hard to believe consisering what you have stated..... are you sure you have calculated it correctly ? Are you all mostly out of the house ?

We saved a fortune between making changes at home and changing provider (British Gas are apparently the UK's cheapest for electricity atm). We have only energy saving bulbs, I don't allow more bulbs on than necessary (i.e. if you're in the room), and we're very careful in other ways too. Timers, sensors etc.

We used to pay about £60 a month but that was at the peak of the price rises and with NPower.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
£80-90 a month and I'm going out of my ways to save as much energy as pos. Whole house is dim lit by them energy saving bulbs, water heating runs only twice a day for 20 minutes, we don't cook, don't bake, don't have external lights and according to U-switch, the cheapest price plan available now in our area would cost us £34 a month more.

I will not believe for one second a family can spend only £32 a month. I mean, even if you had no gas, the cheapest British Gas electricity at the moment costs 21.39p per kWh for the first 500kWh and 9.46p per kWh above 500 kWh p.a, so £384 buys you 3428 kWh a year which means you have 285kWh of power a month or 9.5kWh a day. That's energy poverty, if you cook, refrigerate, use TV and wash, 9.5kWh just not sustainable. You could in theory live off one single solar power for free if you only use that much. As a reference point - my work PC alone in study use your entire quota - 375W for 24h.

Last edited:
Associate
£600 average a quarter, that's gas/elec

Tumble drier and dishwasher to blame (i keep telling her, but ohh no she don't listen, then has a pop at me come bill time)

Also, in winter i like to be warm as toast as sometimes i work in very cold conditions and like to feel hot :p

2 bed decent sized flat

Soldato
I will not believe for one second a family can spend only £32 a month...

You're right, I was a little out. Here's a direct copy from the last full month's bill:

British Gas said:
First 32 kWh x 18.866 p = £6.04
Next 343 kWh x 8.802 p = £30.19
That gives a total of 375kWh for the calendar month. The prices are also, incidentally, cheaper than you were quoting. I'm with online Click Energy 6, which doesn't seem to be on offer any more?

Consigliere
Normally £60 a month for 6 of us on electric and we haven't had gas for 3-4 months as we don't use the heating, downstairs shower or the normal hot water in the sink as we're students. :o I actually appreciate PAYG... :o

Soldato
Someone call child services, this man is clearly raising kids with no access to game console! ;)

When they're old enough to buy their own, they can have at it - I had four jobs at their age! When I were a lad we had sticks for toys and played on fields. This was aaalllll fields when I were a lad, and I turned out alright... Kids nowadays don't know they're even born!...

;) :D

Associate
At the moment:

Electric: £124 a month although the latest bill has come in and I'm £118 in credit which is nice
Gas: £40 a month and that's covering a bit of winter arrears (swapped from a pre-pay to normal meter and there was a huge delay before the account was sorted)

3 bed semi, 2 adults + 2 kids + lots of pets that require electrical items.

Back
Top Bottom