changing a sidelight bulb in a VW Golf MK4

Soldato
OK, changing the front bulbs can be abit fiddly, I dont want to damage any of the electrics or my cluster (which happened last time i tried to change the bulb).

Whats the best practise to do this?

From looking at it, there doesnt seem to be any clips which you can unlatch to remove the bulb.

Any ideas?

Caporegime
Think my sidelight bulbs just pull straight out, can't remember having to twist them and deffo no clips, should be the same in the Mk4 golf.

Access is a right pain in the rear, i've got just enough space to get two fingers round the back of the bulb holder.

Soldato
The whole sidelight pulls out. When it's partially out, you have to push the tabs inwards so the hooks can get free.

On mine, the sidelights tabs/hooks are broken, so I've used a little silicone sealent to hold them in.

Soldato
OP
Just tried changing it again, there is literally no way to get this bulb out, no clips, no ends to losen, the more i force it the more my cluster has cracked right down the middle, looks like im going to have to go to a scrappy for a replacement headlamp cluster as its likely to fail my MOT

Why the hell cant they make bulbs easier to change (no room, crappy clips, crappy mechanisms to hold bulbs in).

Last edited:
Associate
Just tried changing it again, there is literally no way to get this bulb out, no clips, no ends to losen, the more i force it the more my cluster has cracked right down the middle, looks like im going to have to go to a scrappy for a replacement headlamp cluster as its likely to fail my MOT

Why the hell cant they make bulbs easier to change (no room, crappy clips, crappy mechanisms to hold bulbs in).

I agree, changing the front lights in mk4 golf is a right pain but once you done it a few times, it's pretty easy.

If you have trouble changing the bulbs via the back of the headlamp, you will need to take the front bumper off. Once it's off, you can take the headlamp out and change the relevant lights.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the info everyone, ill remember this for next time.

Now...Lets get down to the point, can anyone reccomend me a decent cheap online parts broker for this new headlamp cluster or is it best to go down to a local scrappy?

I want to do this as cheaply as possible as I got a feeling as soon as my car goes through they might hit me with something big...i dont think there is anything wrong, but thats just my luck lately :(

Any help would be great :)

Soldato
Sorry, I misread that you were wanting to remove the repeaters on the wings.

There are numerous guides to removing the bumper and changing bulbs, but here's a youtube video

You'll need Torx drivers T20 and T30

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I misread that you were wanting to remove the repeaters on the wings.

There are numerous guides to removing the bumper and changing bulbs, but here's a youtube video

You'll need Torx drivers T20 and T30

Im wanting to replace the sidelight bulbs not the repeaters on the wing;)

Thanks for that Vid, will I have to do this I have to remove the whole headlamp cluster yeh?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
that seems so extreme just to replace a bulb?
i think renault are the worst for this, but seriously, why make it so ****ing hard?

thankfully on the leon, 2 clips hold the back in place, then you just take the bulbs out, no fuss

Back
Top Bottom