• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 Voltage adjustments.

Soldato
I just want to OC to max nothing wrong with that lol.

I understand. But a pencil mod for such marginal performance is probably not worth it unless you want to squeeze the best performance out for benchmarks.

Who knows perhaps it will run at 1200mhz with 1.2v anyway. Have you tried it?

Soldato
OP
I will not be pencil modding mate just said it be nice, pencil mod seems extreme to me and something i dont want to risk. i tried it and was still getting artifacts but i up my voltage of core to 1.4 will test cod 5 in bit.

Associate
[timko];14630751 said:
This is a simpler way of adjusting the voltage than the one you heard of. It still requires the latest RivaTuner but this tiny app that AgentGod has made makes the process a lot easier...

AgentGod's XS thread here...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227628

Can I ask what all the 4 different voltage settings are?
For some reason my GTX280 has "15h" (whatever that is) set the highest at 1.18v, 16h 2nd, 18h 3rd, then 17h 4th. Why is 17h lower than 18h?

Soldato
I put memory on default whic is 1000mhz for my powercolour plus card, so i am guessing the core is not stable, is it too risky taking the voltage past 1.4?

Go ahead. Keep an eye on the temperature of the VRMs. GPU-Z will have them under VDDC temps. I have a feeling the small sinks Powercolor have used for them may be inadequate without a fan pointing at it.

powercolor-radeon-hd-4890-pcs-02.jpg

Also you certain that its using volterra chips? Doesn't look like a reference board. Looks shorter.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I will not exceeed to 1.6 maybe all way to 1.5 and thats it. i have my fan set to auto is that a bad thing for trying to adjust voltage? still artifacts at 1.5. also my card uses the stock 4890 cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've never taken mine to 1.5v+. So not sure i can give any recommendations on that. Gurusan or someone may be able to tell you if air cooling is enough for that.

Well i put my fan speed to 100% and ran furmark no artifacts shame the 4890 stock cooler is way to loud lol. i proberly need a card with a third party cooler. i dropped voltage to 1.4 at 100% fan speed no artifacting. not sure what i am suppose to be looking for on the vddc temps, not sure what too high would be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i put my fan speed to 100% and ran furmark no artifacts shame the 4890 stock cooler is way to loud lol. i proberly need a card with a third party cooler. i dropped voltage to 1.4 at 100% fan speed no artifacting.

Which card do you have? Was the one I posted above wrong?

Yes, the stock cooler is annoyingly loud. Gaming without headphones will be difficult. I've installed an Arctic Accelero S1 on mine with some fans, which keeps it very quiet. However cooling the VRMs after installing it is difficult. Hence, I haven't overclocked it to the levels I could on the stock cooler.

Some solutions are mentioned in this thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18039651

which should allow higher overclocking with 3rd party air coolers.

Back
Top Bottom