Spec: Mini-ITX

Associate
EDIT: Not looking for M-ITX in particular now. Post re-written!

Hey all.

Need some helping downgrading/upgrading my current system:
  • Lian Li PC-P60 case (too loud, big, heavy and bright for my needs, expensive too - about £160)
  • E8400 3ghz with stock cooler (oc'd to 3.4ghz, happy with this)
  • Abit IP35 Pro XE (upgrade?)
  • 4GB Corsair 6400C4DHX (2x2gb) (upgrade?)
  • PNY 8800 GT (needs upgrade i think)
  • Corsair HX 520W Modular SLI Compliant PSU (does this rinse the electric bill??)
  • 320GB WD Sata-II for Windows7 (worth replacing with SSD?)
  • 1TB Samsung F1 Sata-II (fine for data storage)
  • 500GB Seagate 7200.10 Sata-II (replacing with another samsung 1tb for data storage)
  • Netgear PCI 108mbps wifi card (need a better one maybe usb?)
SPEC NEEDED:
  • CASE
  • GRAPHICS CARD
    • Handle general use and gaming - ie. Modern Warfare 2 @ 1920x1200 on 24" monitor
    • HDMI output 1080p (with audio) to TV -- require new mobo??
    • Preferably silent - aftermarket gfx cooler to achieve this?
    • Must fit the above case
  • CPU COOLER
    • for noise reduction and performance
  • SSD?
    • worth considering for noise reduction?
    • for operating system only -- 64gb should be fine
Budget £200 (excluding ssd)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're trying to spend as little as possible I would suggest reusing quite a few of the parts you have there. If it's only for light gaming, then personally I'd keep the CPU, RAM and gfx for sure, no point in spending out extra on these when they sound fine for your needs. Also I'd keep that 1TB if you can deal with the space that you'd be loosing from the other 2 harddrives, if you need that then look at get a 1.5TB or 2TB drive as a lot of Mini-ITX cases only have space for one drive.

The problem with upright Mini-ITX cases is, like the one you've included in your post, it doesn't support full size PCI/PCI-E graphics card. If you went for the following, it'd be able to accomodate your current spec but as I said with only 1 harddrive.

Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi Mini-ITX (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £113.99
Silverstone Sugo SG05B Mini-ITX Case - Black (300w PSU) Silverstone Sugo SG05B Mini-ITX Case - Black (300w PSU) £89.99
Total:£215.48

Then you'd just have to look for a low profile cooler.

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for your response. I can obviously sell parts ie. the case & mobo and the money from those would go towards the "upgrades". I should have enough sale value to cover essentials.

I will keep the 1tb in for now and maybe add extra storage later if needed, maybe externally or bigger hdd.

Case - Fair enough I can do away with the tower style but I don't really like the look of that Silverstone case. I've seen a "x case Atomic Itx Cube Case - Black with 150 Watt psu" elsewhere, which is about 50 quid cheaper - will 150w psu be enough? Google the case cos I can't post a direct link :p

Graphics - aboe mentioned case may/should be able to fit my 8800gt - so would an alternative mobo be an option?

I wish I could see or try the case before buying, I really don't wanna be stuck with something loud. Those are my my biggest concerns, noise and power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom