2 Xbox 360's behind one Router

Associate
Hey guys,

Is it possible to have 2 Xbox 360's behind one router, but have both consoles with an unrestricted 'Open' NAT?

I've set one of the xbox's up with port forwarding etc, and this got the NAT type to 'Open' however if the other xbox is powered on first, then the static IP xbox is powered on, the NAT type reverts to 'Strict'

Any suggestions?

Also... when forwarding ports to un-restrict the NAT on the xbox, are you suposed to forward all outgoing traffic from the xbox on those ports to the internet, or forward all incoming traffic from the internet to the xbox?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Soldato
Don't most routers only allow you to add 1 IP to the DMZ?

I have 2 360's behind my WRT54GL running Tomato. Mine I have setup with a static IP and just the relevant ports forwarded to it, the other one is just left as obtain automatically and with UPNP enabled in the router

If your router only allows 1 IP in the DMZ then I guess you could give both 360's static IP's, add one to the DMZ and the other just port forwarded?

Associate
OP
My Router (DG834N) only allows 1 DMZ, however I will try cakecan's suggestion :)

Btw, does that Tomate firmware work with the Netgear DG834N? I did a little google, but wasn't able to find anything for it.

Associate
Open and moderate both mean ports are forwarded, they're just meant to indicate the nat level. Open means they're the same, moderate means the external is different from the internal i.e. nat is working.

Turn your xboxes off, give the xboxes static ips (if you haven't), turn on upnp and restart the router (netgear :p), one will show open, one moderate - both will be working. Upnp i the only way to have more than 1 xbox behind a single router because both try to use the same port.

Oh and as a side note, don't use manual port forwarding with upnp on tomato, the upnp daemon has no way of knowing which ports are manually forwarded so it assigns the same ports but the manual forwards take priortiy. End result, xbox one has port 3074 forwarded manually, xbox 2 show upnp forwarding port 3074, xbox 1 has an open port while xbox 2 has no open port (it just thinks it does). So same as above, delete you manual port forward and allow upnp to set up both xboxes.

Associate
OP
Azuse05, thanks! that did the trick!

Works great now, turned port forwarding off, gave static IP's and reboot the router, both xbox's can now be on live! =]

Anyone know anything about that Tomato or DD WRT firmware working with the DG834N?

Associate
OP
I thought that list was too small to be a reliable list to go off, so thought I'd make a post on here ;P

Oh well, nvm. Was worth a check. ty :)

Associate
I fell I should clarify my earlier statement, although essentially correct, this is offically what microsoft says:

* Open NAT means that either the port assignment policy is minimal or the router has a fully compliant version of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled by default.
* Moderate NAT means that the port assignment policy is minimal, but there is address or port filtering taking place.
* Strict NAT means the port assignment policy is aggressive.

Essentially it comes down to the upnp on the router which is fine if you have the full specification microsoft originally created. Unfortunately that's so powerful almost no one uses* it and without a standard feature list (i.e. knowing which parts of the specification your router has) you wont know until you try. This is why the "live" compatible router list exists, but any recent hardware form any reputable manufacturer should work, they'd be mad not supporting consoles.

That 03.22 firmware seems to have fixed all the annoying bugs in my gt, albeit mine's now delegated the role of switch, it seems netgear finally made something better than the .16 fw. I've seen nought but praise for it.

*Tomatoes upnp is deliberately restrictive and functions flawlessly with live.

Back
Top Bottom