Spinpoint F3 or Caviar Black? 1TB

Associate
Hi All,

I am going to be changing my drive config shortly. Planning to replace a Raptor RAID0 setup with a second Intel SSD for games / apps, and use my existing backup drive (VelociRaptor) as a paging / temp file volume. So I am going to be looking for a new drive to serve as my backup volume. I've narrowed the choice down to a Spinpoint F3 or Caviar Black in the 1TB capacity. As well as backup I archive patches, installers, and software discs to my current drive and plan to do so again. Saves a lot of hassle when re-instaling Windows. So both read and write speeds are fairly important.

Any advice on which to choose would be very much appreciated. Performance is difficult to gauge overall. I hear the Caviar is noisy but it does come with a 5 year warranty vs Samsung's 3 years. I've previously had a Spinpoint F1 and was pleased with it but then again my current 3 WD's have also served me well. Soooo....? Ah, the dilema. : )

Thanks in advance for any input.

OCP

OCP

Associate
I had the 750GB Blacks as raid 0 and had no problems with it. It comes with 5 years warranty where as the Sammy's come with 3. You'll probably wont notice the difference but I think the Sammy's are on 500GB platters? Which means its faster. Again, you'll probably won't notice the difference.

Soldato
Got both as 1TB drives, difference is... not noticeable, HDD benchmarks are exaggerated as making all the difference when it means approximately naff-all but according to them the F3 is a better performer in most areas.

The F3 is certainly cheaper and that's why I'd suggest to get one.

Associate
OP
Many thanks for all the replies. Difficult to gauge based on synthetic benchmarks and especially good to hear from someone who has tried both. If the performance difference is minimal I might just take the £10 hit and stump up for WDs extended warranty.

Associate
OP
Many thanks again for all the input folks. Ordered the F3 yesterday and should have it today. Only problem was I also just had to make use of the one week only offer on the 160GB Intel SSD. So it cost a wee bit more than planned! :D

Associate
OP
I have to say I have found the F3 to be a very quiet drive. I am unable to hear it at all while sitting at my desk. I suppose if I was to get down right near the case I might. Even when making heavy use of the drive e.g. backup, defrag, etc I don't notice any sound. At least I can't hear it above the cooling fans.

I couldn't resist running some benchmarks too and I was very impressed. In synthetic benchmarks it outperforms my VelociRaptor in sequential read and write! The VR only takes the lead in 4K read / write which is OK as I'm using it as a paging volume now. Can't fault the performance of the F3 at a mere £60! Very tempting to throw a couple of these in RAID0 at some point.

Back
Top Bottom