Jet washers stopped working!!!

Associate
I have a Renault Clio 2001 plate and my jet washers have just stopped working. They basically had run out of screenwash, so filled the tank back up and expecting them to work ... nothing!

If I lift the bonnet up I have access to both the jet wash tank and can also see the rubber tubes going into two whole in the underside of the bonnet, but cannot seem to access them. I have no idea how to get to where they connect to the washer tank.

Am I missing something? Advice welcomed, as not sure what to do. Is this something I can sort out myself, or a garage more likely?

I have not tried sticking a pin into the jet whole on the top of the bottom, but it seems odd they both stopped working altogether.

:)

Soldato
is it still making a noise when you go for the jet washer?...

have you applied it for long enough for the new lot of screen wash to find its way through the pipework to the nozzle?

past that, no idea!

Associate
OP
Yes, its making a noise when I go to apply the jet washer. Under the bonnet the rubber tubes looks to be attached, but I cannot get in there properly to see. Seems odd they could have just fallen off, I would have thought if that was the case then perhaps I would have had some tubes hanging? It should only take a couple of seconds tops to get through, shouldn't it?

Soldato
Often windscreen wiper jet motors aren't self-priming, so you may need to somehow raise the reservoir above the motors to get the fluid to reach the motors, if it isn't already.

Edit: and also, even if they are self-priming, the fluid may retract down the tubes when not being used - try holding the motors on for 15s, it's what I have to do to wash my rear windscreen. Or at least it would be, if the tube hadn't disconnected itself again (at the outer nozzle) :rolleyes: and I can't be bothered to sort it out 'cause I never need it anyway.

Associate
Yes, its making a noise when I go to apply the jet washer. Under the bonnet the rubber tubes looks to be attached, but I cannot get in there properly to see. Seems odd they could have just fallen off, I would have thought if that was the case then perhaps I would have had some tubes hanging? It should only take a couple of seconds tops to get through, shouldn't it?

If you ran it dry it might take much longer, might even be air locked.

Associate
OP
Often windscreen wiper jet motors aren't self-priming, so you may need to somehow raise the reservoir above the motors to get the fluid to reach the motors, if it isn't already.

How do you do that? Take the water tank out and lift it above the bonnet?

( |-| |2 ][ $;15505948 said:
If you ran it dry it might take much longer, might even be air locked.

Air locked?!? So, in a nutshell what can/should I do? Take it to a garage?

Soldato
I don't know if there is a risk of hurting the motor by using it without having water in the pipework but i'd give it a 5-10 second blast just to be sure...

Soldato
How do you do that? Take the water tank out and lift it above the bonnet?

Air locked?!? So, in a nutshell what can/should I do? Take it to a garage?

I think air locked is basically the same thing as what I was saying? i.e. if it's not self-priming, the air in the tubes will prevent the fluid from reaching the motor. And yes, you'd probably have to take the tank out and raise it up, probably while squirting the motor for good measure.

Soldato
I don't know if there is a risk of hurting the motor by using it without having water in the pipework but i'd give it a 5-10 second blast just to be sure...

I've used a few motors recreationally in the manufacture of a beer pump :)p) none of the ones I've used have had issues with being on without fluid for that short a time, but then I haven't used a Renault one!

Associate
OP
UPDATE: Apologies; actually, the motor does not seem to be working. I thought it was as I could hear the motor, but actually when you apply the jets to either front or back it triggers the wipers and I cannot hear the additional motor that would drive the jets. Must be the motor needs replacing perhaps?

Soldato
In the bottom of the washer reservoir/bottle there is usually some form of filter made of mesh. A lot of the time it will be fitted just where the pump motor fits into the bottle. Whip the motor out and check if there is a filter in there. Could well be clogged up.

Also, old trick - Pop a Steradent tablet in there and it will clean out the entire system. This won't cure your initial problem of not getting the washers to work at all I don't think, but it will help in the future. ;)

*EDIT Just read your post above. Sounds like a new washer motor is required then. :)

Associate
OP
Have a look and see if the relevant fuse is okay. It may be on a different fuse to the wipers...

UPDATE:

I can confirm the motor is not coming on. Apparently on the Clio there are two areas where fuses may be; firstly in the side of the dashboard on the passenger side. Now I have pulled off the panel and checked all fuses and reseated them. None seem to have a broken connection. The symbols are misleading and the one I thought was correct is actually empty, and it could not have fallen out. There are about 5/6 others in a panel under the bonnet off the positive terminal of the battery. I do not have a tool to get these out (the ones in the side panel have a plastic tool to get them out); these ones are a bit more hardcore and I am not sure I should touch them just yet.

Interestingly, I have also just noticed my dipped beam is not working on either side either. I think this coincides with the jets, although did not put two and two together as I remember that happening a few days later. May be a red herring though.

What next? You have to realise I know bog all about cars, so apologise for my noob questions.

Thanks all :)

Soldato
Dipped beam and washers are very unlikely to be on the same circuit. More than likely if the fuses are ok that the motor is fubar.

Sounds like your headlights is a fuse issue

Don
Eliminate the fuse issue firstly, but trying a known good fuse (take the interior lighting fuse out first if it's the same type, and change for the washers).

if this works, you have a dodgy fuse and it's a cheap fix, (same with the dipped).

if it doesn't then it's likely an issue with the motor in which cause you'd need to take it to a garage really if you aren't car savvy like me! :)

Gav

Gav

Associate
get someone to hold the windscreen wash lever/button on for about 15 seconds and see if there is any water coming from anywhere.. even under the car..

it could be ...

blocked jets
loose water pipe
broken pump (could still make a noise but the impeller could be busted)

Back
Top Bottom