Arctic Power PSU, any good?

Associate
I'm looking at getting a Arctic Power 500W PSU for a new i5 build I'm planning to make over the next couple of months.
Features
* Support the latest Intel ATX 12V and AMD
* 20+4 pin
* 6 pin power adapter for PCI express
* Support NVidia SLI Technology
* 8 (4+4) pin supports two sockes server
* Super Quiet Technology: Smart fan control function
* Over-Voltage Protection (OVP)
* Over-Power Protection (OPP)
* Short-Circuit Protection (SCP)
* 100% Hi-pot, chroma and burn in function
Connectors:
Universal 24pin Main ATX power
4 pin 12v power connector x1
4 pin (for HDD, CD-ROM) x3
Floppy Connector (4 pin) x2
Serial ATA power connector x2
4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-Express adaptor x1
4 pin Molex to 8 (4+4) pin +12v Power adaptor
Velcro Cable Tie x2

For 28 quid, is this a good PSU or not? People always seem to spec something 60 quid+

Thanks.

Soldato
Cheap crap imo

+ 1

As far as PSUs go, you get what you pay for. In that case you may well get a pile of smoking components where an i5 rig used to be.

We usually spec good quality PSUs here (from brands like corsair, Be Quiet!, Seasonic, Antec and Enermax) because we know they are reliable, perform well and have good warranties/service.

For an i5 rig with a single graphics card, I would suggest this. It is said many times here,and is very true : "The PSU is the most important component in the system, don't skimp on it".

Last edited:
Associate
its very true, the PSU is a critical component in a stable syatem. I wouldnt trust an expensive set on components with a £28 PSU!

Corsairs seem to the the flavour of the month here as liked above

Permabanned
This annoys me tbh. I believe that PSU sales are totally built on fear of damaging your components. I have a no name brand PSU that was arround £20 i think and it's running sold for around 3 years now. i tested the voltages and they are fine still and even under load. You have to remember that although if they fail and damage your componets they will not be coverd but at the end of the day they have promised some good protection and if this isn't addeared to there could be concequences for that company.

Soldato
It is a bit weird,but I have an old qtec that has been rock solid for 5 years now!
Then again,that didn't stop me splashing about £100 on an OCZ 520 when I built my skt939 rig,and £70 for a Corsair 650 in preperation for my new rig!
I don't regret spending out on the expensive psu's,because they are a very important part of a build,and I like to think they give me one less thing to worry about in a computer!

Soldato
Why curious? It's plenty for an i5 + 4890, more than enough power and the current on the 12V rail is ample (41A). Here is a good review.

Oh, putting a system together and trying to cut down on costs wherever I can whilst still keeping the quality. :) Thanks for the review, will give it a read.

Soldato
Yeh I have a 600w arctic running my old Athlon rig, and whilst it works I dont rate it, it constantly blowing hot air out even when idle, I certainly wouldnt use it on a new build.

Associate
It's weird when it comes to PSU's, people always spec something much more than they need (750W PSU for a PC that will draw 200W)

There are reasons for this though.

Power Stability: A decent PSU can throw out 30+W on the 12v rail. This means that if, for some reason, your system suddenly needs to draw more (like you go from cold idle to running P95) then your PSU can handle it.

Warranty: Decent makes give you decent warranties, and will cover damage to other components. With this comes added Peace of Mind

Upgradeability: If you need to upgrade your PC in future, you know your PSU is one thing you only need to buy once. You buy it for your first PC, and use it for the next 5.

Cheap PSU's like QTEC, Arctic Power etc. often have low rated current on the 12v rail, which is the killer. While some people may not have any trouble with them for years, others do. I remember once having a 550W QTEC PSU years ago... I had an athlon something or other, and an old 6800GTX (the massive one) that needed a 4 pin molex power connector. That terrible PSU had no end of trouble. It would work to boot the PC, but as soon as I started playing a game, it would restart the PC because it couldn't deliver the current.

I upgraded to a 485W enermax, and had no trouble ever since. Now I'm running on an OCZ 650W, and I plan on keeping it for at least 2 PC's more. Maybe I'll go to a Modular in that one.

Back
Top Bottom