Can steam install games to different drives

Soldato
I have a 80gig ssd, and fast running out of space, i have a few games on the go at the min, and wanna keep left 4 dead and a few others on the ssd as maps load so much quicker, but other games i wanna shift to my data drive, is this possible? ic ant see it

Soldato
OP
shame, will look at the symbolic link in a min, i wanna keep left4dead for example on the SSD as maps load a heck of a lot faster as does steam, some of my other ones i would like to move

Soldato
As said above you can do a symbolic link. Someone on here helped me with mine.

Ok more and more people seem to be getting SSD hard drives. If you have a SSD hard drive you know how quick these bad boys fill up. Also if you are running your steam folder from an external drive and also fraps to an external drive this can cause big issues due to speed. So what you can do... You can have steam installed on an external directory and the games you play keep on your local hard drive. So for example below, I play MW2 and want faster loading speeds due to my SSD.. I would cut and paste my MW2 folder from my Steam\Steamapps\common directory to my c:\. Now don't re create the folder in your steam folder. If you have done it wrong and end up with a MW2 folder in both your steam directory and your C:\ delete the one in your steam directory.

Now you want to go start>run and then type CMD (if your running vista/win 7 you will need to run as admin) now in dos you would type the below. Now as there are lots of spaces you will need the " kept in.

mklink /D "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2" "C:\call of duty modern warfare 2"

Now this will create a folder in the steam directory referencing your folder on your harddrive . When steam goes to open up COD it will open it up from your local drive so if you have a SSD or a 10,000RPM + HDD this will be better speeds than running it of your external!

Hope this makes sense!

Should like like the below - Steam will look no different, in your Steam directory you will have the folders with the arrow and on your C drive it should be normal folders
mklink.png

Back
Top Bottom