Fuji S1900, Good Bridge Camera?

Associate
Is the Fuji S1900 a good Bridge camera?

I ask as i am toying with buying a bridge camnera as i can't justify the cost of going full DSLR. The camera would be used for all different types of photography. Family pics, holidays, fun pics, outdoor stuff, wildlife etc etc.

Anyone able to recommend the Fuji or a similar type? Cheers

Soldato
Bit of a long post so sorry.....

First of all fella whats your max budget & whats the most important feature to you?

I only ask those question because you'll get what you pay for essentially.

I used to have a DSLR (Sony A100 + Lenses) but found that I just couldn't be bothered with lugging shed loads of kit round with me all the time so I checked out the Bridge market.

After ALOOOOT of research I'd narrowed it down to 3 cameras:

1- Panasonic FZ38
2- Canon SX20 IS
3- Fuji S200 EXR

Although they are all at the higher end of the market when I compared them to other bridge camera's at a lower price then they are head and shoulders above the rest in what matters....Image Quality.

In the end I ruled out the SX20 IS because of one thing...no RAW support.

So that left me with the Pana or the Fuji. In IQ they are about level so it was about the handling and feel.

I stumped up for the S200 EXR because of its DSLR like twist barrel zoom. It just feels more natural and although the Pana shoots 720p video and has a longer reach, the Fuji simply is more intuitive imo, built like a tank and has better high ISO response which convinced me to buy.

It aint cheap though by any stretch but I haven't missed my SLR once since buying it.

Suppose really what I am saying is that if you have'nt got the money to spend on a more expensive bridge then bide your time, save up a bit more cash then buy wisely.

Associate
OP
Budget is max £200. Would be using camera for all general photography really.

Just want one that has manual controls, but a very good picture quality. Got the chance of buying a Canon EOS-20D Body for £150. Not sure though. its 2nd hand plus i would have to buy a lens!

Last edited:
Soldato
The 20D would be a good but at £150 but as you say you'll then need a lens which for a decent one you are looking at £200+

With a budget of £200 you are very very nearly in Pana FZ38 territory.
Definitely get a little extra cash and invest in that as far as I'm concerned.

Getting anything less than that when it is so close to your budget would be taking a bit hit in IQ, features and build quality imo.

Permabanned
Fuji cameras have silly amounts of noise even at low iso. I think my best shot ever, which i dont have anymore (aol deleted hosting spaces) was on minimum iso on a s9600, and zoomed out, it was fine, but at full res it had tons and tons of noise, which is bad considering the weather was like it was today at around 1pm!

Associate
OP
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 Black looks like the one to go for then? Any good reviews of it i can look at without googling around? Thanks

Permabanned
I found my picture, you can see the noise on it...

1143857273_03c2719003_b.jpg

Soldato
Here's an example of a close up shot taken with the FZ38:

p1020492s.jpg

I have some other landscapes and random stuff too, but the upshot is that the camera is extremely versatile for a bridge camera and has no trouble doing a whole range of different shots for most needs. The only thing missing to make it perfect is manual focus control, though I believe you have to get a DSLR to get that kind of functionality, which costs a lot more immediately unless you buy second hand. I'm new to this, so I may be wrong on that but if I had to pick a potential con it'd be that.

Associate
You don't use your hands to move the button? :p

I take it you meen focus ring?

Would be nice as the joystick is a bit fiddly.

Not much to fault on the FZ38 especially for the price, love mine!

Soldato
Fuji cameras have silly amounts of noise even at low iso. I think my best shot ever, which i dont have anymore (aol deleted hosting spaces) was on minimum iso on a s9600, and zoomed out, it was fine, but at full res it had tons and tons of noise, which is bad considering the weather was like it was today at around 1pm!

Sorry dude but that's just incorrect.
In tech terms so much has moved on since the 9600 its beyond belief.

One I took a couple of days ago on S200 EXR

DSCF0307_hf_hf.jpg

Associate
OP
FZ38 looks like a nice bit of kit. I would love to buy a dslr but money is tight! 2nd hand is an option but where do i start!! So many to choose from!

Back
Top Bottom