Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 31st May 2010, 13:43   #1
territt
PermaBanned
 
territt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Ramsgate, Kent
Posts: 1,334
4 on 4 off Shift working,

Hi Guys,

Just woundering if any one here does a 4 on 4 off shift work? how do you find it?

at the moment i am working over 2 hours away so spend more then 4 hours traveling, i have been offered a interview for a role about 15mins away but its working on a 4 days on, 4 off then 4 nights on, not sure about this, i like my weekends

so anyone here do a shift like this? if so what do you think of it?
territt is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:45   #2
PhillyDee
Capodecina
 
PhillyDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: South Shields
Posts: 14,162
I do it. Have you worked any sort of shiftwork before? What job is it?
They are tiring. But the days off makes it worthwhile!


3 Laser cutter upto 150W and a 3D CEL Robox
PhillyDee is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:46   #3
Dolph
Man of Honour
 
Dolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 41,623
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.

It might be worth pointing out that I hate weekends because everywhere is too busy however...

Dolph is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:46   #4
Boycie
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 1,766
Hi there, i'm starting 4 on 4 off from next monday, I'm looking forward to it because I don't do much at weekends. At the moment I find it hard to do anything during the week and then weekends I just sleep.

Having spoken to the other folks on the same pattern they say its better than working mon-fri because you will still get a few weekends off in a row every so often and you get time during the week.
Boycie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:50   #5
matthewhotdude
Mobster
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,581
I used to do it and loved it, but I now do 3 on 5 off for more money because it's working all weekend
matthewhotdude is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:50   #6
sigma
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,370
I've done 4 off 4, 2 days 2 nights and whilst I'd do it again if I had to, it's not something I'd like to do ever again if I can help it.

4 days on, 4 off, 4 nights seems alright though because you have plenty of time to recover but then you don't know until you get into it really.

The time off is great though.


RIP Greenlizard0
sigma is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 14:02   #7
regulus
Sgarrista
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ChCh, NZ
Posts: 8,699
I used to do something like that years ago. Worked well. Just remember that you sometimes you might have to work whole weekends as it would work out like that from time to time. Otherwise, 4 days off in a row if pretty darn good won't you say?
regulus is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 14:14   #8
bullit in head
Hitman
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 946
all shift work can be a pain as there you wont be able to do regular things like wednesday gaming night, drinks on a thursday etc, if yoiu have kads and a partner it'll make it harder for her to find work to fit in to your schedule that doesnt encompase expensive child care. however I work on a 7 on 7 off 7 on 5 off 5 on 4 off pattern and I like it, I quite like work but the 7 days off are great, no need to use annual leave to go away on holiday, if you plan it well.


but working shifts is apparently bad for your health and is suppose to shorten your life by 10 years, according to a study.


bullit

SLK200 ghd powered
bullit in head is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 14:18   #9
MOOGLEYS
Capodecina
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Telford
Posts: 13,797
I work shifts i find it quite tiring. I do a mixture of 5 on 4 off and 4 on 5 off days and nights. I like the time off and it works out with my 30 days annual leave i only work 5 months of the year although they are 12 hour shifts..

MOOGLEYS is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:09   #10
Stuff
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,367
I work 9-6 with Sunday and Monday off and would MUCH rather do shifts as the time off just goes so quickly!

Stuff is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:40   #11
D.P.
Capodecina
 
D.P.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.

It might be worth pointing out that I hate weekends because everywhere is too busy however...


Thats funny, I do 6 days on 1 day off (12.5 hours a day) alternating with 6.5 days on and 0.5 days off (13.5 hours a day).


Don't do a PhD folks
D.P. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:44   #12
ScoobyDoo
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 2,230
I do 4 on, then 4 off (12hr shifts). 2 days followed by 2 nights.

Its good because your working week is soon over but 12hr night shifts do screw up your body clock. Been doing it for 4yrs now and dont want many more years of it.

Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) @ 3.80Ghz
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77
8GB DDR3 Ram, Samsung 128gb SSD
all in a coolermaster 690 II Advanced.
ScoobyDoo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:49   #13
rotters
Soldato
 
rotters's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Hayle, Cornwall
Posts: 5,063
im a shift worker also but very random no theme to it. I do 12.5 hour days and have to fit 13 in a month. 6 must be nights, 4 must be weekends. but the night shift could be on a weekend and thus fulfilling both requirements. one general rule we try to follow is that is your on 3 nights you get 3 days off, if 2, you get 2 off and so on...just get used to eating at weird times of the day. your circadian rhythm screaming at you and all will be well. also im a firm believer that nights give you the worst wind ever!!! I love shift work though, days off in the week to do what i want with..


one sour note....shift workers die younger!



rotters
rotters is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 16:01   #14
matthewhotdude
Mobster
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,581
My shift sounds the best so far 3 on 5 off.....still 39 hour week though
matthewhotdude is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 16:05   #15
rotters
Soldato
 
rotters's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Hayle, Cornwall
Posts: 5,063
what work do you do matthewhotdude? (feels wrong typing that out lol) how many employees? im a nurse and we have 170 staff in my department, but every hour has to be covered hence the randomness..



rotters
rotters is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 16:28   #16
matthewhotdude
Mobster
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,581
I work for a window company it has to be open 24 hours a day seven days a week, so there are 2 day shifts doing 4 on 4 off, a week day night shift Mon-Thurs and the shift I am on Fri Sat Sun nights. Because we work permanant weekends we get paid more than any other shift even though we only do 3 days and less hours

Over all the shifts think it's about 180 staff
matthewhotdude is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 17:22   #17
BloodyL
Mobster
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: The Middle Ages.
Posts: 3,091
Been doing 12hr shifts, 4 on 4 off alternating nights and days for five years now, having no time to do anything when I'm due in is a pain, but the 4 days off soon compensate for that.
BloodyL is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:56   #18
DBT85
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pershore, Worcs
Posts: 5,399
Working shifts has definate benifits. I work 4 on, 5 off, 5 on, 4 off, 5 on, 5 off, then it swaps to nights for the same pattern. All 12 hour shifts.

The downsides are that you lose traditional weekends when most people are off but the up sides are that you get days off in the week when everyone else is at work. Meaning your shopping or DIY projects cause a lot less hassle becuase you are free to go when the shops are quiet.

I'd like a 9-5 job in some respects, but the benifits of shift work are noticable.

I also prefer doing more shifts in a row rather than doing 2 or 3 and then having a day or 2 off. Days isn't a problem obviously because you just adjust your pattern by a few hours, but when working nights its more complicated. In my current pattern, I stay in night mode for 4 or 5 days, then I finish my last shift at 7 in the morning, am in bed by 8 and then get up at around 12 or 1. I'm now set for my 4 or 5 days off in day mode to interact with the rest of the world. In addition, because I stay in the proper night pattern for longer I am far more awak at work on those shifts.

If you do just 2 nights on and then have 2 off, you have to comprimise something which is why I feel for my friends who are nurses on wards doing as others have mentioned. I get why they dont want nurses working more than x night shifts in a row but I think the benifits once people get used to it would outweigh the perpetual fear of people making mistakes. It appals me when they tell me that they are working 2 days, 1 off, 2 nights, 2 off then 2 days again.Chopping around like that CANNOT be good for the very people that the rules are trying to protect. Most people I know who do shift work tend to suffer on the first night, me included. It's difficult to either stay up the night before your shift or go back to bed during the day before your shift. Once the first one is done however you are into a normal cycle of getting up and going to work and going home to bed. Working longer runs of nights in a row means you only have to make that day/night adjustment every 4 or 5 days instead of every 2 ror 3. I've done both and it really makes a difference.

Another boost of course is taking holiday. I can take 4 day soff work and not have to go in for 13 days, if i make it 9 days off im not at work for like 23 which was very handy when i was decorating the house.
Last edited by DBT85; 31st May 2010 at 21:14.
DBT85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:58   #19
Narj
Sgarrista
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I do 4 on, then 4 off (12hr shifts). 2 days followed by 2 nights.

Its good because your working week is soon over but 12hr night shifts do screw up your body clock. Been doing it for 4yrs now and dont want many more years of it.
I did shift work for 5 years and never got used to the nights. I don't ever want to do them again

Despite getting the odd few hours of kip due to an arrangement with shift partners, it still didn't help much.

|i5 2500K@4.6GHz CPU|Silver Arrow|16GB RAM|ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3|
|NZXT Phantom|Sammy 840 EvoPro 1TB|2 x 256GB M4|MSI GTX970 4GB|
|NEC 24WMGX3|ASUS Xonar Essence STX|Sennheiser 558 Headphones....|
Narj is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:33   #20
marc2003
Capodecina
 
marc2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: England
Posts: 18,293
i don't mind shift work so long as it's permanent days (or nights). it's when it's alternating that it really ***** your body clock up. i won't ever do that again. it simply isn't worth it.

Gigabyte Z97-D3H :: i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance LP :: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
Bitfenix Merc Beta :: Superflower HX 550W
Sapphire Nitro R9 380 :: BenQ BL3200PT
marc2003 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:34   #21
OpenToSuggestions
Sgarrista
 
OpenToSuggestions's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Stoke On Trent
Posts: 9,971
OP: Just remember that if you do 4 on, 4 off, then you are off work half the year! (Even less when you take into account holidays).

4.2ghz 3570k | MSI Z77MA-G45 | 2x U2412M | R9 4GB
Corsair 750W | Corsair 350D | 16GB RAM| VERTEX 4 120GB
2007 Focus 2.0 TDCI Bluefin | MK1 1992 Jap MX5 1.6
OpenToSuggestions is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:07   #22
sigma
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i don't mind shift work so long as it's permanent days (or nights). it's when it's alternating that it really ***** your body clock up. i won't ever do that again. it simply isn't worth it.
This man speaks the truth.

Crappy shifts are also supposed to shorten your life and it's no surprise really.


RIP Greenlizard0
sigma is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:14   #23
[TW]Fox
Man of Honour
 
[TW]Fox's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 147,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.
That sounds so much better than 9-5, though I guess its nice to have the consistency of weekends I suppose. What is it you do, Dolph?

I'd love to have a working pattern like that but it only seems to happen in specific industries
[TW]Fox is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 03:26   #24
DBT85
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pershore, Worcs
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Fox View Post
That sounds so much better than 9-5, though I guess its nice to have the consistency of weekends I suppose. What is it you do, Dolph?

I'd love to have a working pattern like that but it only seems to happen in specific industries
anywhere anything needs to be done 24/7.

Television (mine), nursing, navy, etc etc.

Our weekends are when you guys are all at work. And as someone else said, i'm off for half the month
DBT85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 03:58   #25
starfighter
Mobster
 
starfighter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Manchester.
Posts: 4,935
I work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off.

It is better than 3 because you do lose a day after nights sleeping. 5 might be too much.

Lack of weekends is annoying, especially as I have to book time off with a months notice.


I was originally booking the day shifts off because at night we don't do much work.

But lack of weekends was annoying, so now I generally use my holidays on the night shifts at weekends.

If it wasn't for the extra money I would definitely do 9-5. But also it is kinda good having so many days off so I do like it. Especially the holidays, 4 days off = 12. can do that over 7 times a year.
Last edited by starfighter; 1st Jun 2010 at 04:01.
starfighter is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 08:02   #26
Dolph
Man of Honour
 
Dolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 41,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Fox View Post
That sounds so much better than 9-5, though I guess its nice to have the consistency of weekends I suppose. What is it you do, Dolph?

I'd love to have a working pattern like that but it only seems to happen in specific industries
I work in the mobile phone industry. one of the advantages of being surrounded by a call centre is that it's much easier for hours to be flexible as the building has long opening hours

Dolph is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:38   #27
DBT85
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pershore, Worcs
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off.

It is better than 3 because you do lose a day after nights sleeping. 5 might be too much.
It really depends on how you cope with shift work in general. If you can do 5 days in a row there is no real reason why you can't do 5 nights. It all depends on how much sleep you get. I find I actually get more sleep on nights because I dont come home and stay up watching tv and stuff.

With overtime oppertunities available where I work I have often done 10+ shifts in a row and thats gone up at times to 17. A couple of months I worked 27 12 hour shifts becuase the OT was there, I needed the money and I know I can deal with shifts. Not everyone can though, I know enough people that get properly tetchy after 5 shifts, mainly becuase they dont get enough sleep.

We have all found though that working more shifts in a row and having moer off afterwards is much nicer than 2 or 3 on and 2 or 3 off. Changing the clock around that often isnt good
DBT85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 19:44   #28
OCDStevo
Gangster
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Witney
Posts: 353
I worked 4 on 4 off for many years, the days off are good, plenty of time to do most things you can think of. Only advice would be to NOT spend too much of your off days in bed sleeping Use the extra time off and do something with it.

I2500K @ 4.0 Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P 8GB 1600MHZ RAM
ATI 6950 Alpenföhn Nordwand Cooler Fractal design R2
OCDStevo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:37.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)