55 Renault Clio 1.6 Wipers not working - Please help

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Hi Guys

Front windscreen wipers have stopped working on a 55 1.6 Clio ... Rear wiper still works fine. Checked both fuses and cannot find an issue so do you think the motor has gone and if so is it an easy job to change ? Im guessing it can only be the motor really. When you move the stalk nothing happens at all and there are no noises

Many Thanks

Sam

Soldato
I'd bet on it being the relay not the motor (unless you've been straining it with ice/snow!) - and that's a lot cheaper to check/replace first anyways!

Last edited:

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
No ice and no snow ... normally the clio has a click dosent it when the wipers are going and that isnt evan there. Completly dead as if i wasnt turning them on. How much is a relay and are these a pain to fit ?

Cheers :D

Soldato
No click and fuse is fine normally means relay but could be the switch too. Swap the relay with another one (rear wiper) and try again

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
No click and fuse is fine normally means relay but could be the switch too. Swap the relay with another one (rear wiper) and try again

Can you explain how you do this and where the relays are ??? do they just pull out like a fuse

Soldato
Relays will be in one of the fuseboxes, will be the bigger square things. The manual should tell you which one does what. They just pull put and push in - swap the rear and front ones over (check the part numbers on them to make sure they're the same first) and see what happens. If its the same, its the switch. If the front works and the rear doesn't, you've got a safer car to drive until you buy a new relay for a tenner :)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Hi Mate

Ill give that a go tomorrow. When you say its the switch do you meen the actual stalk ? Do you think its unlikley that it will be the motor ?

Sam

Permabanned
The stalks can go yes. Although more often than not it would feel broken.

Try relay, which is near the fuseboard then stalk then motor.

Get a haynes too :p

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
The stalks can go yes. Although more often than not it would feel broken.

Try relay, which is near the fuseboard then stalk then motor.

Get a haynes too :p

Its the ladys car not mine im just trying to refrain from sending it to the garage :p

note to self buy haynes

will report back with my findings ;)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Hi

Quick question ... Going to have a look at her car later this evening and ive just been out to have a look at mine. I belive my relays are in the fuse box in the engine bay (to the right) but mine is a 2.0 so it may be diffrent ?

I also cannot see how i can tell which relay does what as there not named or numbered in a way i can tell. Ive had a look through my manual and allthough it does explain how to change a fuse it says nothing about fuses and infact nothing about the fuse box under the bonnet

Cheers

Sam

Soldato
Thats unusual, every car I've come across has had a list of relays near the list of fuses in the manual. Nothing on the fusebox cover inside?

Generally the relays under the bonnet are for stuff like the fuel pump, headlights, radiator fan and there are smaller relays in the inside fusebox for smaller stuff

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Thats unusual, every car I've come across has had a list of relays near the list of fuses in the manual. Nothing on the fusebox cover inside?

Generally the relays under the bonnet are for stuff like the fuel pump, headlights, radiator fan and there are smaller relays in the inside fusebox for smaller stuff

Ive searched all over the cliosport forum but theres nothing on there :p not suprising really ... most threads seem to be " will this 6' exhaust fit on my 1.2 extreme"

But on another note ive managed to find out that the relay will be under the passenger footwell somewhere. Still dosent help me much but im going to go and have a look now. One of her mates has prob kicked it with her shoe or something.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
The motor does nothing, there are no clicks from the relay either (you can hear the clicking of the relays in a clio) Ive just had a look at my clio and one of the relays under the glovebox had pretty much fallen out .... Im hoping this is going to solve the problem

Still there are around 6 relays under the glovebox and i have no idea which is for what ... which makes changing them intresting

Sam

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Sorted

Swapped the relays around which didnt solve anything ...

Took off the top shroud on the steering column and one of the connectors had come lose. It recently had a new part behind the steering wheel as it had burnt out (for the horn) so looks like the mechanic didnt click it into place properly

Nice easy fix :)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Another issue -

Since i was playing around with the relays the auto headlights have stopped working ? I may have swapped the relays around so they may not be in this original positions ... Do you think this would be causing the issue ? Is there anyway i may have disabled the auto lights and if so how do i re-enable

Many Thanks

Sam

Back
Top Bottom