rundll32 issue when opening games - help

GK7

GK7

Associate
Hi,

I'm having trouble launching older games (eg. Oblivion, Need for Speed Carbon) under Windows 7 (x64).

Whenever the game exe file is opened, rundll32.exe takes up a full CPU core and the game never starts.

This goes on forever and I have to manually kill the process in task manager.

Looking on google I've tried the various solutions of disabling the games explorer, but this hasn't worked. I've also tried compatibility mode and admin rights as well.

Could someone please help ?

Associate
I had the same problem with Oblivion under Windows 7 x64, but I've found a solution.

You'll have to disable Game Explorer and allow the games to run with full permissions.

To disable Game Explorer, type shell:games in the Start Menu search box and press enter to open Games Explorer, then click Options (2nd button from the left). A new window will appear, make sure the "game updates and news" is set to "never check online for updates or news" and untick everything else.

As for the permissions, right click on the game icon (e.g. Oblivion) and choose Properties, then in the Compability tab tick the box that says "run this program as administrator", and finally in the Security tab click on your username and modify permissions (allow everything), then click OK.

For Oblivion only: if you are running OBSE you'll have to do the same thing both for launcher.exe and for obse_loader.exe or the game won't startup.

GK7

GK7

Associate
OP
I had the same problem with Oblivion under Windows 7 x64, but I've found a solution.

You'll have to disable Game Explorer and allow the games to run with full permissions.

To disable Game Explorer, type shell:games in the Start Menu search box and press enter to open Games Explorer, then click Options (2nd button from the left). A new window will appear, make sure the "game updates and news" is set to "never check online for updates or news" and untick everything else.

As for the permissions, right click on the game icon (e.g. Oblivion) and choose Properties, then in the Compability tab tick the box that says "run this program as administrator", and finally in the Security tab click on your username and modify permissions (allow everything), then click OK.

For Oblivion only: if you are running OBSE you'll have to do the same thing both for launcher.exe and for obse_loader.exe or the game won't startup.

Thanks - worked perfectly !!

Back
Top Bottom