Prime minister can't be catholic?

Soldato
There's a lot of outdated little rules like that - the fact that Sinn Fein members in parliament have no say in the house because they don't make an oath to the queen comes to mind. Highly undemocratic and very third world, much like this Catholic prime minister arrangement.

Associate
There's a lot of outdated little rules like that - the fact that Sinn Fein members in parliament have no say in the house because they don't make an oath to the queen comes to mind. Highly undemocratic and very third world, much like this Catholic prime minister arrangement.

What's wrong with that? Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. If you wish to sit in the parliament of the United Kingdom you should bear allegiance to the sovereign of it.

Actually, come to think of it, how on earth did Tony Benn get round that? Isn't he a republican?

Last edited:
Soldato
OK I'll admit, I'm a Roman Catholic, although I don't believe there is a God and religion is holding back the world.

You arn't religious then? It sounds like you just daren't tell your family that. It reminds me of a conversation I've had on 2 seperate occasions with Irish people:

Them: Are you Catholic or Church of England?
Me: I'm not religious
Them: Ok, but which one are you?
Me: I'm not religious
Them: OK, OK. I get that, you're not religious but .......... which one are you?
Me: :confused::confused::confused:

Man of Honour
Can we not have an athiest PM in a religion free country? religion is so 1600s

We are not even close to being a religion free country, although there is nothing to stop an atheist becoming PM.

I'd prefer all politicians to keep their personal beliefs out of politics, whatever they are.

Soldato
would have been funny if Labour had kept their place and Miliband had made it to head of the party being jewish and all.

Middle eastern politics could be different.

KaHn

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Personally, I think anyone who believes in fairy tales (i.e. Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, God) shouldn't be allowed to be an MP.

Back
Top Bottom