RAF Pilot Eyesight question

Associate
Hey guys.

I have googled this but there seems to be a lot of conflicting views.

I've wanted to join the RAF as a pilot for a long time now, but always thought my eyesight was too bad. But after speaking to a few people apparently they aren't as strict as people make out.

My eyes aren't even that bad (I can train as a pilot in the army). I have -0.5 in my right and -0.75 in my left eye.

Can anyone tell me if this fits the requirements for RAF pilot training please :)

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Hey guys.

I have googled this but there seems to be a lot of conflicting views.

I've wanted to join the RAF as a pilot for a long time now, but always thought my eyesight was too bad. But after speaking to a few people apparently they aren't as strict as people make out.

My eyes aren't even that bad (I can train as a pilot in the army). I have -0.5 in my right and -0.75 in my left eye.

Can anyone tell me if this fits the requirements for RAF pilot training please :)

Thanks in advance

It's bloody hard to be taken on to be an RAF pilot, you'll have more to worry about then eyesight.
I remember when I was in sixthform in 2007 when one of my mates got taken on, apparently he was the only person that year (in the country as far as I know), the whole school snobbishly tried to show him off. :p He had 20-20 eye sight had aircraft experience and had some sort (not sure what kind) of pilot licence when he was 18 1/2 and had many contacts.

Last edited:
Associate
Slightly unrelated, i also heard that you had to be below a certain height, so that your knee caps arent torn off when you eject.. could be an urban myth though....

laser eye surgery?

Caporegime
It's bloody hard to be taken on to be an RAF pilot, you'll have more to worry about then eyesight.
I remember when I was in sixthform in 2007 when one of my mates got taken on, apparently he was the only person that year (in the country as far as I know), the whole school snobbishly tried to show him off. :p He had 20-20 eye sight had aircraft experience and had some sort (not sure what kind) of pilot licence when he was 18 1/2 and had many contacts.

20/20 vision is actually nothing special (for example I have better than 20/20 vision...), neither is RAF eyesight requirements. :) You have to be pretty exceptional however to be able to get in and be able to multitask like a pro (use both hands and both feet seperately, at the same time, whilst doing calculations for example. There are a few fake RAF aptitude tests online for you to have a play with, they are ******* hard).

Slightly unrelated, i also heard that you had to be below a certain height, so that your knee caps arent torn off when you eject.. could be an urban myth though....

laser eye surgery?

Yes and no. There are specific requirements for certain body parts however most people will fit within them. For example you have a maximum height but also a maximum upper leg length etc.

As for the OP's question, as long as it hasn't changed this should be the requirements. Best bet though is to get in contact with the AFCO and see what the up to date ones are...

eye.jpg

Also I'd take that to the opticians and get them to work through it as a few of them aren't things normally checked in much detail. :)

EDIT: AFAIAA 6:6 is the metric version of 20:20 vision.

EDIT2: A quick glance and it looks like you may have a problem there. As already mentioned they seem to want + values for Pilots. The reason why positive is acceptable and negative not is because as you get older you become more negative (is that short or long sighted).

Last edited:
Associate
My mate nearly passed as a pilot but he failed on his eyesite.

It took him too long to look at one object to then look at an other object and focus on it.

From what i've heard they are strict.

Soldato
As others have said eyesight issues excluded it's a very hard process to pass.

I went through the Navy and RAF application process which included everything from multitasking aptitude tests, teamwork challenges and emergency scenario planning with a board of experts including some fairly top brass eyeballing you throughout and then questioning you after. All that was topped off with a final interview.

I aced the aptitude and scenario stuff but didn't get on with the teamwork challenge which felt very forced and surreal. I also felt that the interview was geared quite heavily toward RAF association beyond my plain interest to join the forces. It seemed apparent to me that having no links besides my grandfather being a spitfire pilot had limited my chances of going further.

The main advice i can give is to do your homework and just try your best. The negative eyesight values you have may indeed be an issue but you may as well have a go at applying!

Good luck! :)

gt

Soldato
It seemed apparent to me that having no links besides my grandfather being a spitfire pilot had limited my chances of going further.

The majority of Navy pilots I have met have no particular family links to the forces let alone flying in them. Becoming a pilot takes a sepcial something that not many people have, the number of pilots is so small that the RAF and Navy can afford to be incredibly picky it really is a job for the best of the best.

Soldato
The majority of Navy pilots I have met have no particular family links to the forces let alone flying in them. Becoming a pilot takes a sepcial something that not many people have, the number of pilots is so small that the RAF and Navy can afford to be incredibly picky it really is a job for the best of the best.
I completely understand that - TBH, that came accross at the RAF interview rather than the Navy.

I was asked about my ties to the forces and was met with a distinct change in atmosphere once i'd replied. Seemed strange and could have course been something else however having considered my responses it seemed likely. Perhaps it was just the type of person interviewing.

The Naval interview seemed more relaxed, friendly and positive - but again that was probably down to the interviewer rather than the process.

Like you say - the numbers involved mean they've gotta be 100% certain the person they choose is right. It's a tough process with a high failure rate.

gt

Last edited:
Soldato

That's not how the recruitment officer at Portsmouth made it look when I went down to enquire when I was a youngster, got completely ignored until I forced him to talk to me and after twenty minutes discussion he was all "Well, you're technically suited for the position but I don't really think you're really suited to it", now I'm 99% sure this was because of the way I was dressed and it annoyed me no end so I kept him talking and he eventually asked me if I had any relatives in the Navy and as soon as I let him know that my Grandfather was a Commander the application forms were out on the desk so fast your head would have been spinning.

Associate
As has already been stated, eyesight is only one of the many criteria you have to meet to be considered as a pilot.

What qualifications do you have?
What sports teams are you part of?
Leadership experience?
Were you an Air cadet?
Part of a University air squadron?
Hobbies outside of education?
Willing to commit 18 years of your life?
etc etc etc...

Without even going into the pass/fail type tests you'd need a good selection of experience in the above categories to even be considered.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

as soon as I let him know that my Grandfather was a Commander the application forms were out on the desk so fast your head would have been spinning.

Quite right too, we don't want any old riff raff joining!

Associate
When i went for the test course at Cranwell you had to have perfect 20/20 vision. This was a couple of years ago. I failed on this, but passed everything else. The nurse that did the medical consultation did say that they used to let people through if they had only a small deviation but not that year.

They also raised the pass mark on the apptitude test for people choosing pilot because they have so many people applying they can be very picky.

I wasnt part of any University squadron or an air cadet either.

My grandfather did get DFC and bar (might have been two bars, cant rememeber) and was squadron leader. Im sure that played a part in getting to where i got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom