• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Palit GTX 460/ what to do?

Associate
So im aware about the shambles of the current batch of cards with no Vrm heatsinks & loss of heatpipes, but this card is the only model that could fit into my tiny case that is the lian li q07.

Have not a lot of other options atm. was thinking if adding some aftermarket heatsinks would work? also does anyone know which aftermarket ones would be best. or even better any other card maufacturers that produce the same sized cards but put these vrm cooling there in the first place.

anyway was thinking about the Zalman ones ZM-RHS1
zmrhs101b1.jpg

zmrhs102b1.jpg

2gxl6dv.jpg
HeX's pic

So would this work or am i mad?

Soldato
Honestly I would just send it back and keep a look out for other units like it.

*hint*

Look for the gainward unit. It is the same card but ships with the heatsink where your looking. The Palit unit on review was probably a gainward card with a palit fan casing. Wouldnt put it past any manufacturer these days.

Andy

Soldato
I wouldn't read much in to this VR carry on, lots of 1GB 460's ship without them and can be overclocked no problem, GPU temps will not increase because you have hot VR's, worst case would be the card would shut down.

Soldato
Apparently they are fine & dont come with sinks:

This is Norman from Palit Taipei office.

Just let you know that all our GTX 460 1GB “SonicPlatinum” boards are passed “burning test” with at least 2 hours under 45 degree C in chamber.

All those boards have not any heat sink on the VRM (MOSFET) components.The temperature on the VRM (MOSFET and other components) are not over 80 degree under 45 degree chamber.

We run 3Dmark2006 “GT2” that was suggested by NV for the thermal testing.

Please be confidence with our serious testing process, which you don’t need to worry about any “damage” possibility.

“Quality” always is our priority. Thank you!

That was the response guru3D were given

Soldato
I like their follow up questions

Guru3D: Okay, follow-up questions ..
1 Why then do we see huge complaints about noise levels and heat issues from end users ?
2 Why do you send vanilla samples to the press ?
3 Why do the samples send to press DO have VRM heatsinks and the customer versions not ?

Guys, whenever I post a review I expect to test the retail sample. Clearly the press samples differ from the retail samples, and that effects my objectivity and this websites reputation. This is a HUGE problem and is utterly shameful activity from Palits side.

I want to know what Palit is going to do for the end-users that received a different (cheaper) end-product. Because what happens here is unacceptable.

Currently we are awating Palits reaction. Amazing stuff really, over a 10 cents part.

Back
Top Bottom