Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 5th Sep 2010, 21:01   #91
Mp4
Sgarrista

Even with pet insuarance (from my experance) i've had to pay up fist then cliam back and ofc 20 admin fee to get it all signed.

I wish i was a vet sometimes!

Mp4 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 21:28   #92
eggcup
Wise Guy

why cant the vets just invoice her???

eggcup is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 22:08   #93
w3bbo
Don

I really hope the pussy was worth it .

Project Angel - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Fallen Angel
w3bbo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 22:21   #94
bramski
Gangster

Mate you can get cats in the adtrader for 40 quid. I'd have just bought her a new one.
bramski is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 22:30   #95
2StepSteve
Soldato

Has she been late with payments beforehand?

If not then I suggest you find another vet.

Most vets are very accommodating and will allow you to pay off the bill over time.

How come you found out so late that you were insured?

2StepSteve is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:25   #96
N$X
Gangster

seriously, did she expect the treatment on the kitty for free?

surely if you have received a service, then payment is expected?

N$X is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:27   #97
Energize
Caporegime

How can anyone who acts so unethically seriously call themselves a vet? Theft of animals and charging 20 a day for cat food, unbelievable.

Intel 3570K @ 4.8GHz
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung 512GB SSD
Energize is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:29   #98
Dr House
Capodecina

We do the same at our hopsital here in czech when parents dont pay for their kids medical bills.

However it does not work too well as they had to let the last kid go when turned 18
Dr House is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:43   #99
Wicksta
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
How can anyone who acts so unethically seriously call themselves a vet? Theft of animals and charging 20 a day for cat food, unbelievable.
You're right, it would be more ethical of the vet to pass the cat straight onto a rescue centre so it could be rehomed by someone who could afford to care for their animal.
Wicksta is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:44   #100
2StepSteve
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksta View Post
You're right, it would be more ethical of the vet to pass the cat straight onto a rescue centre so it could be rehomed by someone who could afford to care for their animal.
And the rescue centre would mostly likely put it to sleep.

2StepSteve is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:46   #101
Energize
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksta View Post
Or he could just invoice the owner and charge a reasonable amount like every respectable place....

Intel 3570K @ 4.8GHz
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung 512GB SSD
Energize is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:50   #102
King85
Wise Guy

To echo your gf should have insurance but also i'd personally be tempted to walk in pay the original 160 then just take the cat from where ever it is the surgery. No way would I pay a 20 a day fee it seems like madness.
King85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2010, 23:54   #103
SkeeterUK
Capodecina

Shouldnt have to pay more than a fiver (kind donation) at PDSA. As they only ask for donations or pay a little for medication iirc when my dog had cancer.

3570k 4.5ghz 8gb DDR3 1600mhz MSI PE 670 2GB B_1149 22"/19" mon
SkeeterUK is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 00:26   #104
n3vrmind
Wise Guy

Pay the bill and sell the cat, sounds like your GF cant really afford to own it
n3vrmind is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 00:35   #105
Hatter The Mad
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
Shouldnt have to pay more than a fiver (kind donation) at PDSA. As they only ask for donations or pay a little for medication iirc when my dog had cancer.
They only charge for the drugs, but you're supposed to pay whatever you can afford. Unfortunately for the PDSA, which has fallen on increasingly hard times over the last couple of decades, people take this for granted - and they don't actually pay what they can afford, they just take.
Hatter The Mad is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 01:35   #106
Milkybk
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulus View Post
Never heard of anything like this. Break in and steal it.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippi90 View Post
Ahhh Austria. The land that prefers Daddies sauce to Heinz.
Milkybk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 01:47   #107
Cupra
Sgarrista

i can understand why the vet is keeping the cat, not like a garage will let you have the car back without paying for it to be fixed is it?

Cupra is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:03   #108
DampCat
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupra View Post
i can understand why the vet is keeping the cat, not like a garage will let you have the car back without paying for it to be fixed is it?
No, but most garages wont have a 20/day surcharge for late payments.

Yes, being unable to pay for the services provided is poor planning, but sometimes accidents happen when you can least afford them. People who deal in industries where they re required to act upon emergency (ie Vets, Mechanics, Plumbers and so on) will usually have an invoice system that allows at least a few days to pay. After they i'm sure they have ways of collecting unpaid bills through debt collectors or court proceedings or similar.

I've had emergency work done on my car that i couldnt afford, and when i told the guy (i'd never been to that garage before) he said "not a problem, sort us out what you can and we'll invoice you the rest for the end of the month". In fact, in a completely related example, I had to take my parent's dog to the vet whilst visiting them and didnt have any way to pay for it. they just gave me a "bill" that would need to be settled before the dog next went in for check-up/treatment.

20/day is obtuse. I really would hunt around for a vet that offers an "account" system or similar. The ones based in Pets at Home (or whatever it's called these days) run something like that im sure.

DampCat is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:17   #109
D.P.
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
It is not unethical, it is perfectly reasonable. Normally no required but I have a hunch this isn't the first time this has happened, maybe not with the cat in question but if the vet has had many non-payments before and lost money then they will be forced to use such measure as standard. Probably some good discussions with the vet would help such a situation.

It is not theft, it is legal possession. The 20 a day will be a standard rate for housing a cat for a day is pretty cheap in comparison.
D.P. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:21   #110
D.P.
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCat View Post
No, but most garages wont have a 20/day surcharge for late payments.

Yes, being unable to pay for the services provided is poor planning, but sometimes accidents happen when you can least afford them. People who deal in industries where they re required to act upon emergency (ie Vets, Mechanics, Plumbers and so on) will usually have an invoice system that allows at least a few days to pay. After they i'm sure they have ways of collecting unpaid bills through debt collectors or court proceedings or similar.

I've had emergency work done on my car that i couldnt afford, and when i told the guy (i'd never been to that garage before) he said "not a problem, sort us out what you can and we'll invoice you the rest for the end of the month". In fact, in a completely related example, I had to take my parent's dog to the vet whilst visiting them and didnt have any way to pay for it. they just gave me a "bill" that would need to be settled before the dog next went in for check-up/treatment.

20/day is obtuse. I really would hunt around for a vet that offers an "account" system or similar. The ones based in Pets at Home (or whatever it's called these days) run something like that im sure.

Leaving a car in a garage is not the same as housing a cat, the car does need cleaning or taking care of. From my experience, 20 is damn cheap. It costs 12-15 just to leave a cat in a cattery. This 20 will include medical supervision by trained nurses and the availability of 24 hour access to the highly trained vets.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:33   #111
MattU
Gangster

Quote:
Leaving a car in a garage is not the same as housing a cat, the car does need cleaning or taking care of. From my experience, 20 is damn cheap. It costs 12-15 just to leave a cat in a cattery. This 20 will include medical supervision by trained nurses and the availability of 24 hour access to the highly trained vets.
Surely that is the vet's problem though? They have confiscated it, the owner hasn't requested a service. I don't see how that could be legal.
MattU is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:38   #112
danza
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattU View Post
Surely that is the vet's problem though? They have confiscated it, the owner hasn't requested a service. I don't see how that could be legal.
So what you're effectively saying is that because the owner didn't request the cat be looked after, that the vet should put it down(/let it starve)?

I don't think that would go down too well!

No one can defeat the quad-laser!
danza is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:45   #113
DampCat
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I didn't leave the car in the garage, i took it home with me, along with the invoice for the bill.

The 20/Day is in response to non-payment, not services required.

My point was it's not necessary to keep the cat at all, and most places i've been to (in both automotive and pet care) haven't required any form of ransom.

DampCat is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:48   #114
MattU
Gangster

No I was saying they cannot expect to confiscate it and charge the owner for the pleasure. I'm not sure how you read that I suggested they should murder the cat?
MattU is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:55   #115
danza
Capodecina

Quote:
No I was saying they cannot expect to confiscate it and charge the owner for the pleasure. I'm not sure how you read that I suggested they should murder the cat?
Sorry, I was being a bit sensational.

Really, they should invoice the owner and hand the cat back. But if they've had previous issues with getting money off them for other services, then they're maybe right to be cautious in handing it back lest they not pay any time soon.

As long as the cat's in their care, then they should be able to charge for it. After all, it is taking time to care for, and taking up space that could be used for other animals.

On the face of it though, the whole situation is ridiculous.

No one can defeat the quad-laser!
danza is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 07:26   #116
Sp00n
Capodecina

Why can't they just give the cat back and then she can pay them back as soon as possible, surely you can't keep a cat hostage AND charge for it?

Sp00n is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 08:10   #117
D.P.
Capodecina

Quote:
Well the alternative for the vet is quite simple and cheap, find all the out of date drugs and give the cat a massive overdose, kitty falls asleep and is placed in the disposal.

I think most owners would prefer the cat is properly looked after, even if there is a fee to cover costs.

I do agree that it is strange that this course of action is taken immediately. Normally a vet will only do this if the owner has previously failed to pay the bills.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 08:12   #118
D.P.
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCat View Post
I didn't leave the car in the garage, i took it home with me, along with the invoice for the bill.

The 20/Day is in response to non-payment, not services required.

My point was it's not necessary to keep the cat at all, and most places i've been to (in both automotive and pet care) haven't required any form of ransom.
Large garages have the means to providing some form of financing, to track late payments, set up direct debits etc.

Most Vets don't have the infrastructure, staff or time to do that unless you are a regular customer like a farmer.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 09:31   #119
Bald-Eagle22
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack View Post
Tell your bird you want special payback ; )

With her sister as well as her

Removed as Avast anti-virus reports your signature as a threat.
Bald-Eagle22 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2010, 10:37   #120
Jono8
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramski View Post
Mate you can get cats in the adtrader for 40 quid. I'd have just bought her a new one.
this
Jono8 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote