Dell U2311H warranty issue

Associate
Last week I bought a Dell U2311H monitor from Overclockers and while I was initially very happy with the screen I hadn't seen it in daylight, in bright lighting I noticed a thin mark running down the middle of the screen and decided to return the screen.

Thinking I was making a clever move I decided to use Dell's 24 hour replacement offer, yesterday I received a replacement monitor and was pretty annoyed to find out that it had a dead pixel and a stuck pixel (dead center of the panel), on top of this it was a refurb.

I called Dell and explained that I'd like a new panel, they told me to request a "work order number" from Overclockers and they would gladly deliver me a new monitor, so I did as they asked and got the number. After I gave them the number they said they couldn't provide a new screen because Overclockers bought that batch in May, they only offer new screens within 30 days of purchase, regardless of who purchased it...

After speaking to a manager at Dell they told me that Overclockers were well aware of this situation and should have informed me before purchase that this screen would not be fully covered by Dell, so my situation is this, I have a faulty refurb screen which I cannot return to Overclockers as it is not the original screen and Dell are refusing to provide me with a new replacement or return my original screen...which is what I paid for only 5 days ago.

Sorry for the rant but it's quite a spiders web, I'd very much welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Can't type for toffee
Don
I have a faulty refurb screen which I cannot return to Overclockers as it is not the original screen and Dell are refusing to provide me with a new replacement or return my original screen...which is what I paid for only 5 days ago.

Mate that really does suck :(
didnt ocuk have issues with work orders and dell before?

Within the initial 12 months yout POC should ALWAYS be the retailer.
In the monitor one of the "pro" ones?
I'm sure they have better warranty cover.

I see your point you have had it 5 days, therefore the replacement should be a new unit.

BUT

Dell's PoV is that its 4 month old not brand new.
I don't know about anyone else but whenever I order a monitor direct from Dell they been 2/3 weeks and have always been built for the order.

you'r gonna have to get onto OcUK I feel and fully explain the situation they maybe able to get in touch with Dell. I can see this getting comlpicated however :(

did you pay via CC?

Associate
I have a similar problem with my u2311, when's it displays very dark colours an array of pixels glow red in the style of a fingerprint at the top of the screen.

But I'm worried that if I send it back I will end up with a refurb, or something worse.

What you could do is keep sending it back to dell for another refurb until your happy with the one you get. Obviously a pain, but should work,

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, today I'm due to be sent another refurb unit to replace the faulty one, I'll wait and see how my luck goes, if the screen is essentially as new I'll probably just suck it up and accept what I get.

I do feel pretty sore about the whole thing though, the first screen I had was relatively excellent, no dead pixels or backlight issues, if this next refurb is not as good I'll definitely have to think about ways to force the issue with Overclockers, pretty sure my rights as a customer are being violated here :confused:

People should definitely be made aware before they buy these screens that they *will not* be covered by Dell's 30 day replacement policy and that they should *always* return the screen to Overclockers first.

Wish me luck.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
@Divine Wind

I paid with my debit card, I'm not sure if the customer is as well protected with a debit card but then I'm quite clueless in these matters.

Associate
OP
The replacement screen arrived yesterday and while this time around there are no dead pixels there is however really bad backlight bleeding in the bottom left, on a dark image around one quarter of the screen is far too bright :(

I'm quickly nearing my wit's end over this monitor, six days ago I spent just under £300 on a new screen and since then I've been lumbered with two badly refurbished ones, both Dell and Overclockers refusing to take responsibility...

If anyone with more legal knowledge than me could chime in I'd really appreciate it, I can't help but feel I'd be within my rights to return this screen to Overclockers and ask for a refund, they can deal with the annoyance of dealing with Dell.

Cheers

Associate
OP
On a side note, does anyone else suspect that most LCD manufacturer's idea of "refurbished" is to simply make sure a screen powers up and then send it out in the hope that the next person won't notice a certain flaw?

Associate
On a side note, does anyone else suspect that most LCD manufacturer's idea of "refurbished" is to simply make sure a screen powers up and then send it out in the hope that the next person won't notice a certain flaw?

I would imagine that there are certain quality checks within which the screen must be within certain tolerance levels but beyond that, beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people are more "picky" about what is acceptable & what isn't.
I would imagine Dell, or any other manufacturer will take a gamble on this when sending out refurbs.

Although I must say that if it were me & I had just shelled out £300 for a new monitor (which I will be doing shortly), I would not entertain the prospect of a refurb unit.

I personally find this disgraceful and if you are not happy, leave OCUK under no illusion that you will be returning the monitor, looking for a full refund and on this occasion, taking your trade elsewhere.

Associate
OP
I would imagine that there are certain quality checks within which the screen must be within certain tolerance levels but beyond that, beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people are more "picky" about what is acceptable & what isn't.
I would imagine Dell, or any other manufacturer will take a gamble on this when sending out refurbs.

I'm generally quite picky over LCD's as I spend most of my time in graphics applications and web browsers, I have to say that at this rate I'd rather have just kept the original screen, regardless of markings, the actual panel was nice. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Dell just rang to ask if I'm satisfied with my replacement, I told them about the situation and my intentions to return the screen to the retailer, I requested that the manager email me and put into words that they made Overclockers aware of the situation with these screens, namely the fact that they would only be covered from the date the retailer purchased them.

Soldato
I'd ask for a full refund from OcUK mate. Your contact is always with the seller fundamentally. They made a mistake in the details of selling it to you and have admitted that, get your refund as soon as you can then weigh up your options again. Perhaps you could get one direct from Dell or a different panel entirely. You could also give OcUK to opportunity to replace your panel with a new one that will be covered for the entire duration/30 day swap etc.

Associate
After I gave them the number they said they couldn't provide a new screen because Overclockers bought that batch in May, they only offer new screens within 30 days of purchase, regardless of who purchased it

This is a grumble I have will buying Dell monitors from anyone other than Dell. OcUK, like many other vendors, buy their Dell monitors from another company that buys them from Dell directly. With two suppliers in the chain between end users and Dell it's extremely unlikely to be in the 30 day window on any purchase.

Back
Top Bottom