The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

Associate
Cool, a cheaper way to get high I suppose, and none of the side effects :)

Are you still sending the BenQ back or have you warmed to it enough for it to replace your Samsung downstairs?

Soldato
OP
Well I have put in a returns request because it can take some time to process but I haven't agreed to anything yet. I'm really giving it some thought because in many ways I do really like it and it does seem to be growing on me.

Soldato
i think i might have to get one, i mean i do everything at my desk from play pc,ps3,360 and watch blu rays etc etc i think it might just turn out to be the good all round monitor i'm after

does it have a audio output on the monitor itself so any output from the monitor can go directly to my speakers.

also what does this mean in the benq specs
Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ. 25ms, 8ms (GtG)

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry for the confusion... I just didn't really switch on to the fact you were using a 2407WFP - the responsiveness of the EW2420 is similar. The reason I recommended the B2430L is because you mentioned you would be playing games such as CoD Black Ops - personally I wouldn't be comfortable playing that kind of title on a *VA panel but that's just me. :) Whichever way you look at it -

- The EW2420 has better contrast than the 2407WFP and B2430L

- The EW2420 has better colour reproduction than the B2430L and is perhaps closer to the 2407WFP (the latter being broad gamut but the semi-gloss screen on the EW2420 seems to bring things a bit closer visually)

- The EW2420 has comparable if not slightly better responsiveness than the 2407WFP but the B2430L is better than either of these:

dell_2407wfp_hc.jpg
Dell 2407WFP

EW2420-ghosting-AMA-on.jpg

BenQ EW2420

The first image if from the TFT Central review with the 'worst case' 2407WFP responsiveness on the right. The second image is one captured from my EW2420 for the worst case scenario. Despite the images looking different due to the size and colour differences (different camera, different monitor etc.) the responsiveness based on this test is comparable if not in the EW2420's favour.

Thats fantastic thanks
i never really noticed to much the responce from the 2407 before ,i take it you just get used to the screen after a bit

i think its for me with that price range

just trying to find one now think there all gone jees

Soldato
OP
i think i might have to get one, i mean i do everything at my desk from play pc,ps3,360 and watch blu rays etc etc i think it might just turn out to be the good all round monitor i'm after

does it have a audio output on the monitor itself so any output from the monitor can go directly to my speakers.

also what does this mean in the benq specs
Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ. 25ms, 8ms (GtG)

Response times are covered half way down this monitor technology article.

The EW2420 has a headphone line-in on the side which I assume could be used for speakers.

Soldato
OP
Very interesting - although it seems he got a slightly duff panel. He talks about a 'problem' with the LED backlight causing 'too much blue', especially in the corners of the screen, which upsets colour balance. I can tell you that this is actually the only LED-backlit monitor I've used that doesn't suffer from an overly cool colour tone - and there is no noticeable backlight bleed (which has nothing to do with whether it is LED backlit or not) anywhere on the screen. Obviously individual panels are all slightly different but if some of the issues he raises in the review concern you just remember that they are nothing to do with the EW2420 as a model but his screen as an individual unit.

Edit: I think he realised this was a problem with the individual unit and he sent it back for replacement. Luckily we don't have that dodgy Texan stock over here. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i've ordered one of these anyway. Found in stock at popular UK online retailer, but don't think i'm allowed to mention am I? It's not a site that you can buy drugs from though (hint hint). Didn't turn up on any price comparison sites, I had to search on the site itself.

Associate
Legend & bigjimmyauk, if you have any first person shooter games, I'll be interested to see what you two thing when you play them. As in, any noticeable ghost trailing as PCM2 observed.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
ok next question is there any way i can run the benq side by side with my acer so i can see the difference and take photos etc

i have no idea how to do it but they r both 1920x1080

i know my gfx card has 2xdvi outputs

something about cloning springs to mind

Back
Top Bottom