I PLAY TF2 AND SURF THE NET
CPU CORE I7 860
4GB RAM
GTX 260

windows 7 64 bit

what benifits will i get running 8gb

cheers

Soldato
What do you mean by that? 4GB is enough for any game out there.
I meant that you will not need more than 4GB unless you want to play some of the more recent and demanding games. 4GB is fine for general Windows use and TF2, but some modern games (Metro 2033, Vegas etc) will prefer more ram.

Soldato
Metro 2033 hasn't 64-bit binary, has it? How many instances (processes) does it run then? Afaik 32-bit can address up to 2GB of RAM for each process. Or was it 4GB of total memory, can't remember. That would mean a lot less anyway and can't see it going over 4GB?

And New Vegas, oh well, it's based on the same engine that Fallout 3 is, an old Bethesda's engine that has been around as long as Oblivion has. No excessive RAM usage either (unless it leaks memory which I never heard of).

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Afaik 32-bit can address up to 2GB of RAM for each process.

Correct. back in the days of XP, some processes could be configured to run with up to 3GB leaving only 1GB for the kernel but this was basically written out of windows because it caused systems to crash quite frequently.

that said, it's easy enough for programmers to get around this restriction by using sub-processes to store the additional information (rundll and all that)

Associate
Metro is the only one that I'm aware of that can make use up to 8gb of ram. Are there any others?

I meant that you will not need more than 4GB unless you want to play some of the more recent and demanding games. 4GB is fine for general Windows use and TF2, but some modern games (Metro 2033, Vegas etc) will prefer more ram.

No, 8GB RAM has no beneit over 4GB RAM even in Metro 2033, nor can Metro even dream of using 8GB RAM...

2GB is still alright for 90% of games. 4GB RAM is currently overkill for every game. If you're trying to tell yourself that 8GB RAM is benefiting you in games (provided you're not using it all up in Windows) then it's just in your head.

Associate
Sorry to bring another question into this thread (seemed easier than creating a whole 1 line thread).

What kind of processes/applications would benefit from 8GB as opposed to 4GB as I was thinking of getting an extra set of RAM.

Soldato
Sorry to bring another question into this thread (seemed easier than creating a whole 1 line thread).

What kind of processes/applications would benefit from 8GB as opposed to 4GB as I was thinking of getting an extra set of RAM.

for me scanning negatives....I found myself not to be able to scan some in huge resolution due to having only 4GB of RAM...But I would say it is extreme situation ...I would stick to 4GB if I would not have this problem ...

Back
Top Bottom