3TB drive only showing 746GB

Associate
I know this is quite a common problem and have hunted around the net for a solution, but I've had no luck so far. I have a brand-new Hitachi 3TB drive which i've installed into an external USB hard drive caddy. I've tried the drive on three different PCs (a Dell Poweredge 1900 server running W2K8R2, a custom built Sandybridge-based pc running Win7Pro x64 and an HP Probook 5320m running Win7Pro x64) and in all cases I only get 746GB showing up under disk management.

Things I have tried;

Updating the BIOS
Setting drive to use GPT
Updating the Intel Rapid Storage Array drivers

No luck so far. I thoguht it might be that the caddy doesn't support >2.2TB drives, but according to the FAQ on their website, the caddy is fine with it.

The only other thing I've seen, but not tried, is Paragon GPT loader, which many people claim fixes the problem. But being that this isn't free software and i have read some people say it did nothing for them, I don't want to pay for it without knowing it will fix my problem. But I can't find a trial version of it anywhere.

Any ideas?

Soldato
What does the drive look like in Partition Wizard Home Edition (free)?

My initial thought was that maybe it was damaged and only one of the four 750 GB platters was registering....but if that was the case it should appear as ~698 GiB, not 746 GiB. However, 746 GiB does equal 800 GB (give or take a GB), so maybe there is something weird like that going on.

Associate
hhm done a bit of digging and see a few people with the same problem but yours is in a caddie isnt it and others seem to be having problems when installed in the rigs

Can you not install it into a machine and see what it does then format it if poss whithin windows from INSDE the rig then re install it to the caddie and see if its any differant

EDIT i see some people saying as soon as the controller in bios is set to RAID even if they are not raiding if it is still enabled in bios can stop it showing the full 3tb

Just a thought ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How is it formatted

NTFS of FAT

Hadn't even got that far, seeing as it was showing as 746GB before formatting. Any attempt to format only gave me the option to go up to 746GB.

My initial thought was that maybe it was damaged and only one of the four 750 GB platters was registering....but if that was the case it should appear as ~698 GiB, not 746 GiB. However, 746 GiB does equal 800 GB (give or take a GB), so maybe there is something weird like that going on.

I'll download that program and see what it says when i get in tonight. Thanks.

hhm done a bit of digging and see a few people with the same problem but yours is in a caddie isnt it and others seem to be having problems when installed in the rigs

Can you not install it into a machine and see what it does then format it if poss whithin windows from INSDE the rig then re install it to the caddie and see if its any differant

Just a thought ;)

Yeah, I saw lots of stuff about people having problems with it installed inside the rig. Lots of people telling them to try them in a USB caddy as a solution, too!

I was considering mounting it inside my PC and formatting it that way, but I've ogt one of those dodgy Sandybridge motherboards and the only ports I've currently got free are the dodgy ones! I guess I can unhook one of my other internal drives and try it. Probably a good option worth trying, so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Associate
Assuming your board supports the drive, you need to do the following.

Make sure you have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed. Once installed, go to disk management in Windows (Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage\Disk Management), right click the name of the drive, and if it hasn't been done already, convert the drive to GPT (instead of MBR). Once that has been done, you should be able to fully format the drive.

Associate
OP

Ok, I just tried the partition wizard home edition and it also shows the disk as 746GB. I guess next step is to try it inside the PC on one of the sata ports and see what happens.

Associate
OP
Right, so I put the disk in my rig and it showed up as 3000.5GB in the BIOS and 2.72TB in Windows. So I assumed it must be down to either the caddy or the USB mass storage controller causing the problem.

Nevertheless, I decided to format the drive and then put it back into the USB caddy. Lo and behold! and the drive now shows up as the correct size on every PC I connect it to. Weird, but I guess I've learned my lesson; when wanting to put a 3TB drive in a USB caddy, format it whilst connected to a SATA port first.

No idea why, but it seemed to work! Thanks for all the advice, people.

Associate
Right, so I put the disk in my rig and it showed up as 3000.5GB in the BIOS and 2.72TB in Windows. So I assumed it must be down to either the caddy or the USB mass storage controller causing the problem.

Nevertheless, I decided to format the drive and then put it back into the USB caddy. Lo and behold! and the drive now shows up as the correct size on every PC I connect it to. Weird, but I guess I've learned my lesson; when wanting to put a 3TB drive in a USB caddy, format it whilst connected to a SATA port first.

No idea why, but it seemed to work! Thanks for all the advice, people.

Good to know its sorted chap

I thought putting it in the rig might work !!

Associate
OP
Nope, the problem doesn't seem to be sorted after all. We now have a completely different issue with the drive.

I'd left it backing up 2.3TB of data on my server, which appeared to run through successfully (just using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier). But today when I checked the drive, masses of folders were missing. I refreshed explorer and even more folders seemed to be missing. Yet Windows still showed the drive as being mostly full. I switched the caddy off and back on again and now the disk is showing as the correct size, but only formatted as RAW. All my data is gone!

God knows what's happened now, but its bloody annoying.

Associate
Nope, the problem doesn't seem to be sorted after all. We now have a completely different issue with the drive.

I'd left it backing up 2.3TB of data on my server, which appeared to run through successfully (just using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier). But today when I checked the drive, masses of folders were missing. I refreshed explorer and even more folders seemed to be missing. Yet Windows still showed the drive as being mostly full. I switched the caddy off and back on again and now the disk is showing as the correct size, but only formatted as RAW. All my data is gone!

God knows what's happened now, but its bloody annoying.

Sounds a nightmare :( I'll hold off getting one for now then :)

Associate
OP
Clearly the caddy's drive controller doesn't like the drive. Get a different caddy I guess. Many caddies have issues with large hard drives.

That's what I was suspecting, but had no way of proving it. Do you have any recommendations of caddy's that would be appropriate?

Associate
I had exactly the same issue, but now after 2 days frustration I found the solution, also thanks to your post.

When I inserted a 3T WD Caviar Green, it got recognized as 746 GB disk in the user interface. In fact, WHS creates a 746 GB partition.
Installing the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology solves this problem, but it does not remove the partition that was created for you. So it stays a 746 GB disk. Any new disk you insert gets recognized as a 3 TB disk (but actually it is wrong, see below).

To solve this, I needed to use a Remote Desktop connection and go in to the WHS server. Right click My Computer, select Manage. Open Storage, than Disk Management.
Here you can see the small partition.
Remove the disk from the WHS UI using Server Storage to make sure there is no longer any data on it, and the following actions do not interfere with the WHS administration.

Now in Disk Manager, remove the partitions, and create 1 new 3T partitition, quick format it and give it a suitable name.

If you have -like me- a Western Digital Caviar disk, you can download a utility from the WD site to align the disk, I understand this is needed under XP and Windows Server 2003 to increase the performance. Alternatively, you can hook up the disk under Windows 7 and format it there, this will make it aligned automatically.

Now you may need to reboot, but then you can add the disk as 3 TB disk for back up purposes.

Using a 3T disk for internal storage
If you want to use the disk as internal storage, the situation is more complicated. As soon as you add it, it is changed from a GPT disk (which can hold more than 2.1 TB of storage) to an MBR disk, which can only hold 2.1TB. In my case the WHS user interface counted it as a 3T disk after adding, but if you look in the Disk Management, you see it is now 2047,99 GB with an unallocated partition of 746,51 GB. This will happen to any 3TB disk you insert.

If you really, really want to use the 3T for internal storage, you have to follow the instructions here, with the following remarks.

a) WARNING, if the UI of WHS shows a 764 GB disk, do not start. Make sure you update the drivers first (Intel Rapid Storage Technology), so it gets properly recognized
b) WARNING, you may mess up your backup database if you do it incorrectly. If you are not used to registry editing, don't do this.
c) Change step 10 and 11 in the guide on wegotserved to this:
10) Recreate the partition as a GPT partition if your goal is to use a greater than 2.1TB volume. Once you are done creating your partition how you would like, Give it the label "DATA" and mount it back in the old mount point (c:\fs\*) (for example I mounted mine back in as C:\fs\1K) It is critical that you label it correctly and mount it correctly here in this step.

11) Copy your files back into the mount point that you copied out in step 7, copy them in as they were before you deleted the original partition.

Now use the align tool to align the new disk. Select the correct (empty) disk and realign it. In my case it required me to reboot. Reboot first before you continue. After reboot, do step 7 in the guide again to stop the services.

After this, go back in the Disk Management tool. The realignment process added a drive letter to the disk, in addition to the c:\fs mounting point. Delete the drive letter (Right click, Change Drive Letter and Paths), leave the mounting point.

Now continue with step 12 in the guide. Note that after step 12 there is a new step 11 and 12, so make sure you start with the first step 12 and follow the instructions in sequence.

Back
Top Bottom