Project: Obsidiswap

Associate
Sorry for the unimaginative name, I just can't think of anything else at the moment :p.

O.k. so back in January I decided to watercool my Lancool K62 rig (Project: Cool Dragon) and I had a bit of a nightmare. Leaks all over the place and broken 5850. Also, when I fired up the rig, I had the GPU temps I wanted but my CPU temps were actually higher than my Venomous-X I had had before :eek:

Therefore I have learned from my mistakes and have put my partial failure down to a few things. 1) I rushed it. I tried to do the whole thing on my own in 1 day and for a first time watercooler this was a bad move. 2) Lack of research. I thought a 280 slim rad would be fine for a CPU and GPU....I was wrong :( Also in order to use a bigger rad I would either mount it externally or buy a new case. I opted for the latter as I want a clean looking exterior.

Anyway, I did some thinking and earned a bit of money and have bought the following:

Corsair 800D (thanks to BringTheRain in the MM)

1x Black 1/2" compression fitting

3m White XPSC 1/2" tubing

2x black bitfenix 6 pin PCIe extensions

XSPC RX360 radiator

3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm

1x Silver Kill Coil

EK Multioption 250 Reservoir V2 Advanced

XSPC acetal pump top V3

LED Cap (basically a 1/4" plug but with space for an LED so I can use it in the res)

9x 45 Degree black 1/2" compression fittings

1x EK Anti-cyclon

PSU bridge Fpug (for jumpstarting the PSU as I find the paper clip really annoying :p)

8mm Tubing (for draining my current system)

CPU Backplate (my EK block never came with one so I have made do with my custom one. This was cheap so I though I might as well throw it in to my order )

90 degree 1/2" compression fitting.

This will be used with my EK Plexi Copper 5850 full cover block, my Laing DDC-1T and my EK Supreme LT AMD CPU block.

I will most likely start ripping my PC apart this weekend but here are some pics to get this going :D

cadd8bc4.jpg

Lotsa Compressions :)
554bfc16.jpg

094d7a39.jpg

XSPC RX360 and my 2850rpm Gentle Typhoons
47bebe75.jpg

885ee00d.jpg

1df12870.jpg

10e20479.jpg

Associate
OP
You still need airflow for water-cooling lmao :p.
For watercooling this case is difficult to beat. Airflow is poor through the mid section of the case but I will have 3 scythe gentle typhoons drawing cool air across the rad and then a Noiseblocker PK-3 at the back removing the hot air so airflow won't be a problem. Also I will change the bottom 140mm fan to another Noiseblocker PK-3.

Associate
Very nice, am starting a similar (ish) project myself next week. Going to try and get 2x 480mm rads and a 120mm rad in there :D All fitted internaly.

Soldato
For watercooling this case is difficult to beat. Airflow is poor through the mid section of the case but I will have 3 scythe gentle typhoons drawing cool air across the rad and then a Noiseblocker PK-3 at the back removing the hot air so airflow won't be a problem. Also I will change the bottom 140mm fan to another Noiseblocker PK-3.

^ This.

Associate
Nice. You will love doing going from the K62 to the 800d, when I did I was shocked on how much better it was.
The only problem I found was the airflow to keep the ram and board cool but adding some fans really helped.

Good luck with it

Associate
OP
Update :)

This is what my rig looks like at the moment....
ef2eee54.jpg

I stripped out as much as I could before draining just incase :)
6049179c.jpg

Ready to drain :)
9ce4d831.jpg

Drained
0a9deb56.jpg

c1bfb9f7.jpg

Empty K62 :)
130463d2.jpg

To drain I used a new method. I bought some really small tubing (8mm I think) and basically put one end over the nozzle of a bottle, squezed the bottle, then put the other end in the res. The suction power sucked the water out :) This method was a lot easier than what I did last time (tip the case all over the place lol).

More to come.....

Associate
i bought a pump that is used to draw oil out of a car, it cost me a whopping £7 about 1-2 years ago but its handy as hell as i can chuck the tube in the res , turn it on and the system is drained in 5-10 mins :)

Associate
OP
Final update for today:

Components :D
5e4366a6.jpg

My CPU block was disgusting so I took it apart and gave it a clean. Sorry for the awful photo!
P.s. this photos was taken before cleaning.
7bf49756.jpg

Gotta love EK packaging :)
58b4ed74.jpg

61cef5bd.jpg

Fitted
6653bbb8.jpg

I build a loop with the rad, pump and CPU block to test for leaks. I had no leaks :)
1c3df0db.jpg

But on the down side, I have turned my dining room into a bomb site lol
72b48df8.jpg

More updates tomorrow :)

Associate
OP
Looking good

Update:

I opened the res
cc0c121c.jpg

Fitting the anti-cyclone and silver kill coil :)
b5ad212c.jpg

The EATX holes were too small to pass the res mounting screws through so I made them a little larger with my new screwdriver drill lol
9b10e0ec.jpg

e43b09da.jpg

These are the two bitfenix alchemy GPU extensions I am using. They are brilliant! No heatshrink can be seen nor cable colours. Also, the braid is more of a cloth braid than a plastic one so in my opinion it looks less tacky :)
5a723854.jpg

97f4ed13.jpg

I have mounted my cathodes out of view up by the rad. I will probably change these out for LED strips in the future. If you look at the top of the res you can also see my LED which goes into the clear blanking cap I have at the top of the res. This will give the water a nice blue glow hopefully ;)
34cf15c8.jpg

So here we are at the end of today. Unfortunately the res doesn't quite hang straight due to the EATX holes being misaligned but I really don't fancy drilling a new hole and potentially wreck the case so I am going to leave it for now.
89844d6a.jpg

I had a go at the cable management. Round the front I think it looks good. It is a mess round the back but I had to keep a section as clear as possible for routing tubing round the back.
ef3a20ac.jpg

I am having to use these horrible orange sata cables at the moment as I have nothing else. Does anyone have any black SATA-II or SATA-III cables with one end right angled spare?

More updates tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom