There is an error on your computer...

Soldato
Just got a call from Online PC Masters who told me I had a virus on my computer. Really? Tell me more I replied. The guy then went on to explain how they got my details and that if I gave them access my computer they could fix it.

After a ten minute call we got onto the subject of work and I told him what I did for a living. Yes I am a security analyst. Do you know what that involves?

He hung up.

I put this up in case less informed users get the same call. But I think most on here would know better.

I have their phone number to if anyone wants a virus removed? Lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Been a few of these threads recently.

I've had a few clients phone me up and say how worried they were after a similiar call, and a few others call me up and say they've been taken for a ride and been scammed out of money and can I check over their system to make sure their data is safe.

Soldato
Post the number up. There are a few threads on here where people claim to be from Microsoft and do this. I started one a month or two ago and there was one a few days ago.

Associate
Post the number up. There are a few threads on here where people claim to be from Microsoft and do this. I started one a month or two ago and there was one a few days ago.

I have had the Microsoft one a few times...i just put my son or daughter on the phone to them.

Its quite amazing how long they are willing to talk to my kids for, my son was talking to one of them for about 7 minutes all about Ben 10, Generator Rex and battle Force 5.

Soldato
Reminds me of some pop ups online that say windows is infected, i get the same in Linux if I go to the same place. That is a easy to spot scam when it says windows is infected when I am in Linux, idiot scamers. :D

Man of Honour
Ring back and tell them they have a virus on their computer and you can fix it for them if they need help.

This is a trick I basically already use.
When I pick the phone up and hear that delay I reply with "Hello can I speak to the person who pays the bills please?" or "Can I speak with the homeowner please?" which always stops them.
I've been too hasty several times though when it's been genuine people on the line.

Associate
"This is a crime scene. I'm Detective Inspector Hovis. In what way were you connected to the deceased? I need to take all of your details and your present location..."

Associate
Ive had the same call a few times. He wanted me to do things on my pc and router. I went along with it, not doing anything just saying yeah i done this and that. Got fed up trying to understand him in the end and hung up.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I have had the Microsoft one a few times...i just put my son or daughter on the phone to them.

Its quite amazing how long they are willing to talk to my kids for, my son was talking to one of them for about 7 minutes all about Ben 10, Generator Rex and battle Force 5.

I used to do that until one of the operators asked my son what pyjamas he was wearing and what colour his hair was.

Bad idea.

Soldato
I had a call from Windows 7 virus team telling me I had a virus....

I answered back "Do I have windows 7? I could have Mac OS or Android... or even no PC at all"

They hung up

Back
Top Bottom