Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Games > PC Games

Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:45   #1
Tweaker
Wise Guy

EA Origin ID changes

I know another thread has just gone up, but i wanted to make this about the stupidity that is EA and their login system.

As many of you know, the EA persona system is a joke anyway, but this takes the biscuit. Unlike steam, where you have a log in name and password, origin uses an email and password setup, then a separate ID for origin. I wanted to change my Origin ID, the main reason for the change was that the original ID i wanted was taken, so i chose another, but i discovered a better ID after creating the account. Here is a conversation when trying to complete a ID change, also, tell me if this is a difficult request

Melissa: Hi, my name is Melissa. How may I help you?
Me: I would like to change my Origin ID, how do i do this?
Melissa: Dxxxxx please follow this link for changing Your Email Address

Link: http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

Me: I dont need to change my email, i have just created an Origin desktop account, i typed in a origin ID but want to change that now
Melissa: Could you please be more specific about the issue?
File attachment upload has started.
The file Capture.JPG (106.5KB) was received.
Me: When logged into the desktop application for games, called Origin, the ID at the upper right part of the application is the one i created when i signed into Origin. I already had an EA account and logged into Origin using this account and created my Origin ID associated with this account. However i wish to change the Origin ID See the attached file
Melissa: I am very sorry to inform you that persona is the only thing on your account once created will never be deleted.It would not be possible to change it.
Me: Can i un associate my account from origin and then create a new origin account
Melissa: You can update your account with new E-mail address however the account name will remain same.
Me: So if i were to create a new EA account and create a new origin ID, i would lose all the games i have associated with my existing EA account?
Melissa: Yes.
Me: That seems incredibly inconvenient
Melissa: You have a valid reason to be disappointed.
Me : my account is linked to an email address, not a ID though so why is not possible to change?
Melissa: Dxxxx we do not have that option to change it otherwise I would have changed that manually.

Last edited by Tweaker; 16th Jul 2011 at 16:53.
Tweaker is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:54   #2
CaptainRAVE
Capodecina

Yikes, did not realise that.

CaptainRAVE is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:56   #3
Speedy Pete
Wise Guy

Oh noes when they find out my ID is OriginSuxorz im done for!

8 Pack
Speedy Pete is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:57   #4
Tweaker
Wise Guy

Am i being unreasonable though, i mean, is it that much of a change?

Old 16th Jul 2011, 16:59   #5
gropingmantis
Mobster

Well that isnt very good. It should be perfectly reasonable to change your persona as long as the one you want to change to is not already taken.
gropingmantis is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:03   #6
Tweaker
Wise Guy

EA and Origin ID changes

The annoying this, with something like steam, in a lot of cases, the only one that knows your Steam log in ID is you, as there are ways to hide it, with this, the login is your email address, which you will have to give away unless you have a memorable origin ID, so the opportunity for hacking is more so than steam, i dont like this at all.

Last edited by Tweaker; 16th Jul 2011 at 17:06.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:06   #7
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
The annoying this, with something like steam, in a lot of cases, the only one that knows your Steam log in ID is you, as there are ways to hide it, with this, the login is your email address, which you will have to give away unless you have a memorable origin ID, so the opportunity for hacking is more so than steam, i dont like this at all.
Not really I use the same Online persona across the interwebs and I am sure I am not alone. At least Steam has Steamguard now.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:36   #8
Pighardia
Capodecina

Quote:
Am i being unreasonable though, i mean, is it that much of a change?
You are not being unreasonalble at all, trust me you are not alone in being hacked off by the whole "persona system as well mate"

I think this says it all from your conversation with EA support

Quote:
Melissa: You have a valid reason to be disappointed.
I tried to merge my accounts not long ago as it was just getting silly as i had some games on one persona and some on another.

Holder of the Gold Oblong of Pluck
Pighardia is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:39   #9
Dave****
Mobster

So the name in the top right corner of the origin screen is the ID that can never be changed. That's kinda annoying. Especially because people will treat it like Steam and assume they can change it whenever they like. I know I did.

Extreme scenario: Someone that creates an ID relating to a relationship in their life (TrevorlovesTamara (someone I have on MSN)), which could change at any time, then have to live with that for the rest of their life or get a new account and buy all the games again because you can't change it.

Pelsae raed teh FAQ rgdearig sntruigae szies
Dave**** is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:43   #10
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davola View Post
Extreme scenario: Someone that creates an ID relating to a relationship in their life (TrevorlovesTamara (someone I have on MSN)), which could change at any time, then have to live with that for the rest of their life or get a new account and buy all the games again because you can't change it.
I'd say they're paying for their idiocy with that.

It doesn't bother me that you can't change your login/account name as such, but having no other user definable/changable name is a bit off.

I wonder if they're going the whole Real ID thing like Blizzard, where you set your player name per-game, but remain with a single identification across the whole platform.

orderoftheflame is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:04   #11
Phinor
Gangster

It's not like Steam is any better in this case. I would really like to change my account name as it is an e-mail address that has expired around five years ago but the only thing I can change is my profile name.
Phinor is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:49   #12
stooeh
Wise Guy

In steam my login name is also an old non existent email address but it's not like it matters as it no else needs to see it.
stooeh is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:55   #13
Dave****
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinor View Post
It's not like Steam is any better in this case. I would really like to change my account name as it is an e-mail address that has expired around five years ago but the only thing I can change is my profile name.
Have you tried asking/know if you can change that name?

Pelsae raed teh FAQ rgdearig sntruigae szies
Dave**** is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:57   #14
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davola View Post
Have you tried asking/know if you can change that name?
Steam don't allow it for sure.

Everyone that signed up back when you had to use an email address are stuck with it. It doesn't bother me, even though the email account has long since been inactive. It's just a string used to identify who you are at login.

Old 16th Jul 2011, 18:59   #15
Pighardia
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderoftheflame View Post

Everyone that signed up back when you had to use an email address are stuck with it.

Yeah, my account is with an old email adress which i don't use anymore. No big deal though as i get emails etc sent to a different adress anyway.

Holder of the Gold Oblong of Pluck
Pighardia is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2011, 21:49   #16
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinor View Post
My account name is my steam persona and I have changed email and persona several times in the 7 years I've been on steam.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 22:01   #17
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gropingmantis View Post
My account name is my steam persona and I have changed email and persona several times in the 7 years I've been on steam.

On Steam your persona (visible by everyone else in your url) and the account name you login with are completely different things.

Old 16th Jul 2011, 23:18   #18
HangTime
Man of Honour

Quote:
Why do you have to give away your login?
HangTime is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 05:51   #19
badcompany
Soldato

I just visited ea origins site for the first time WTF their prices are whack !

I mean come on do people seriously use them ?

2004-2014
badcompany is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 08:25   #20
HangTime
Man of Honour

Yep I use them, you can get vouchers from coke etc for say 10 off a 25 spend, so when they have games at 50% off you can get some good deals.

e.g. in April I got Shift 2, Mass Effect Pinnacle Station, The Saboteur and NHL 09 for under 17 all in, at the time you couldn't get Shift 2 on it's own for that.

Also in April I got Crysis 2 and Spore for under 17.50 all in, again, you'd struggle to get Crysis 2 on it's own for that at the time.

Last year, for under 20 all in I got Mass Effect 2, Medal of Honor and Command and Conquer 4, all fairly new games at the time, yet again, Steam would have been wanting more than I paid just for Mass Effect 2 on it's own.

Then there's the free games you could get when coke vouchers didn't have a minimum spend, I got Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Mercenaries World in Flames etc all for free. Oh plus Battlefield 1943 for free, got cancelled so they refunded me 10 onto my credit card even though I hadn't paid anything for it, so that's 10 of free money from EA.

Sure, if you just rock up on a random day and pay the headline price, maybe they are expensive, but certainly one of the cheaper places to get games that have been out a few months if you are a bit savvy.
HangTime is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 09:45   #21
drunkenmaster
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany View Post
I just visited ea origins site for the first time WTF their prices are whack !

I mean come on do people seriously use them ?
Yes, they are generally cheaper than Steam in terms of, almost constantly theres some kind of silly code around knocking 50% off the prices. I'm quite happy for douchebags to overpay and subsidise me using codes to get games silly cheap, happens everywhere else in life.

For instance I got Crysis 2(and forgot about it and almost bought it again ) on EAstore like 6 months before it was out because some weird code knocked it down to 15 on pre-order, way way way way cheaper than anywhere else out there, preloaded it and played when it was unlocked.

Essentially their sales are less "in your face" than Steam ones, but they are better, with bigger discounts and often on new/pre-order titles and pretty constant while steam sales are usually on older/obsolete titles and pretty far apart.
drunkenmaster is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:59   #22
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:

On Steam your persona (visible by everyone else in your url) and the account name you login with are completely different things.
Nope its the same when I log in I use my persona.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:15   #23
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Quote:
Nope its the same when I log in I use my persona.
What do you mean by "persona"? The name that your friends see in your friends list (Profile name)? Or the URL for your community page?

You can change either of of them, but they aren't your account name.

They can be the same string as your account name, but you can't change your account name or your login by changing your Profile name.

Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:20   #24
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:
What do you mean by "persona"? The name that your friends see in your friends list (Profile name)? Or the URL for your community page?

You can change either of of them, but they aren't your account name.

They can be the same string as your account name, but you can't change your account name or your login by changing your Profile name.
My original account name (login name) was my email address but my Profile name has been ali-stare and then gropingmantis and the URL for my community page has changed similarly but when I login where I previously used my email I now use gropingmantis.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:30   #25
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Quote:
My original account name (login name) was my email address but my Profile name has been ali-stare and then gropingmantis and the URL for my community page has changed similarly but when I login where I previously used my email I now use gropingmantis.
What's your account name come up as in the top corner of Steam?

You can change your profile to match anyone else on Steam. It doesn't have to be unique to you, so your account name definitely isn't reflected in that.

Your URL certainly doesn't match your login name either. I've got one account with the account name "orderoftheflame" but my main one has the url of the same.

What do you think your Account name is the same as? Your URL or Profile name? If you've changed it several times, where have you been changing it.

I'm intrigued, I'd love to change mine, but I'm not so sure it's actually possible.

Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:19   #26
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:
What's your account name come up as in the top corner of Steam?

You can change your profile to match anyone else on Steam. It doesn't have to be unique to you, so your account name definitely isn't reflected in that.

Your URL certainly doesn't match your login name either. I've got one account with the account name "orderoftheflame" but my main one has the url of the same.

What do you think your Account name is the same as? Your URL or Profile name? If you've changed it several times, where have you been changing it.

I'm intrigued, I'd love to change mine, but I'm not so sure it's actually possible.
The Account name/login is gropingmantis:

the account name was my old email account (ali-stare@blahblahblah) but when I closed that email account I changed the account name. To change the account name I had to email them but bear in mind that this was in late 2005-2006 so I guess they changed their mind about chaning account names or something??

Changing the profile name you do via settings:

URL via Profile settings:
Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:33   #27
orderoftheflame
Capodecina

Right I know how to change the Profile name and URL, I was just confused by your first post on this.

Quote:
I read that as your "account name" is your "persona" and you've changed them together several times in 7 years.

You've changed your account name by emailing Steam, but changing the profile name and url have zero bearing on account name. It just happens that you've picked the same for your profile name as your account, the names aren't linked together in anyway.

I've emailed steam previously, and they've refused to change my account name, might have to give them another go.

Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:34   #28
gropingmantis
Mobster

Quote:
Right I know how to change the Profile name and URL, I was just confused by your first post on this.

I read that as your "account name" is your "persona" and you've changed them together several times in 7 years.

You've changed your account name by emailing Steam, but changing the profile name and url have zero bearing on account name. It just happens that you've picked the same for your profile name as your account, the names aren't linked together in anyway.

I've emailed steam previously, and they've refused to change my account name, might have to give them another go.
Yes sorry wasn't very clear no they aren't linked at all I just have the same for all three. Try emailling them again maybe it will work.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 13:11   #29
EvilGrin
Wise Guy

Seems you were given the runaround mate, I just had a similar conversation on their Live chat:

Sandra: Hi, my name is Sandra. How may I help you?
EvilGrin: Hi, I'd like to change my EA ID/Origin ID please
Sandra: Please tell me your Origin ID and the email address you use to log in to the Origin.
EvilGrin: Origin ID is EvilGrin80, and email address is xxx@xxx.com
Sandra: Please tell me the date of birth listed on your account .
EvilGrin: xx/xx/xxxx
Sandra: Thank you for the verification.
Sandra: Please tell me the EA ID that you want to use now .
EvilGrin: EvilGrin
EvilGrin: Just want to take the 80 off the end
EvilGrin: As it seems to be taking my EA ID rather than Battlefield Persona for my solider name in Battlefield 3 Alpha...
Sandra: The BF 3 Alpha is played using EA ID and not battlefield persona.
Sandra: Do you still want me to change your EA ID ?
EvilGrin: Yes please
EvilGrin: Will this change my origin ID at the same time?
Sandra: Both are the same.
EvilGrin: and therefore my BF3 Alpha soldier name?
Sandra: yes
EvilGrin: Ok, great.
Sandra: Please wait.
EvilGrin: Sure thing.
Sandra: EvilGrin has already been taken. Choose a different name.
Sandra: Are you there ?
EvilGrin: Yes, can a space be used?
Sandra: Yes
EvilGrin: Ok, Evil Grin would be fine.
Sandra: The space is neglected.
Sandra: You can not use that.
Sandra: You would have choose some other name.
EvilGrin: Ok, how about an underscore in place of the space...?
EvilGrin: Also, have a quick question which you may not be able to answer? When BF3 is released, do you know if the soldier name in the game will always be locked down to the EA/Origin ID, or if you'll be able to have multiple soldiers?
Sandra: Underscore can not be accepted as well. Is it really that important to change the EA ID.
Sandra: Are you there ?
EvilGrin: It depends on if you know the answer to the above question
EvilGrin: If you can have multiple soldiers/names on release, then I don't mind really.
Sandra: The details about the persona that will be allowed for the game in BF 3 is not yet available;e as the game is not yet released.
Sandra: I would suggest you to let the EA ID be as it is and if you wish you may change the same later.
EvilGrin: Fair enough then, yeah. Hopefully duplicate names will be allowed - as it seemingly was in Bad Company 2
Sandra: May be.
Sandra: Thank you for contacting EA chat support. Bye and take care!!
EvilGrin: Thanks for the help anyway. Bye

Seems that I had a much different conversation...

EvilGrin is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 13:30   #30
'Wes
Capodecina

Hmm, might try this, Wes87 or Wescar1987 would do for me, as my other EA account is Wescar87.

Edit: Got a big fat no to ID changes.
Last edited by 'Wes; 28th Jul 2011 at 13:48. Reason: Addition.
'Wes is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote