Worrying find, 650D fan controller.

Soldato
hey guys, i was doing a bit of tidying up of my systems cables etc.
whilst doing this i decided to remove the built in fan controller, due to the fact that i no longer use it as i have a lamptron front bay fan controller.
on removal of the device i found some rather concerning signs, the plastic casing that houses the controller has shown some clear signs of melting.:eek:

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

i only had the front 200mm, rear 120mm and 2 120's on the rad connected to this. probably just an isolated occurance, but may be worthwhile having a look at your own.

Associate
Thanks for the heads up - I'll take mine out later and post findings. Only had it connected briefly (couple of hours) before deciding to use the mobo fan headers instead. Is that the original type or the revised one?

Associate
Yep - should be the revised one then. I have the non -1 version so it may only affect the newer revision. Will update later.

Man of Honour
We are very sorry you had this problem. We'd like to recover that controller and see if we can determine why/now it failed. Can you please use this RMA LINK, start an RMA, and then send me the RMA number? Of course, we'll also send out a new controller for you ASAP.

Associate
is it designed to drive 4 fans? I noticed that my zalman controller can only drive 2 fans max per header and that even has heatsinks for each header.

Soldato
OP
We are very sorry you had this problem. We'd like to recover that controller and see if we can determine why/now it failed. Can you please use this RMA LINK, start an RMA, and then send me the RMA number? Of course, we'll also send out a new controller for you ASAP.
Yeah no problem, i sent a message to corsair tech support earlier with all the same info, but will start the RMA proceduere first thing tomorrow morning. i'll do anything i can to help.
not that concerned about getting a replacement, as i dont use it but thanks anyway:)
I just hope this is a one off.

its good to see corsair tech support out and about in the community as it were:D

Hyburnate - not sure, but it was still working when i moved the fans to the front bay controller, it still had power feed but no fans were connected to it until i unplugged it and found that today.

Kotu - I assume so, it has 4 connectors for fans also consider that the case is supplied with 2x 200mm fans and a 120mm.

Last edited:
Associate
So I have the old version of the controller with no issues but it was only connected for a short time:

20111026_173910.jpg

20111026_173829.jpg

Hopefully it's only a issue with your particular switch or a particular batch and not a widespread issue with the revised switch design...

Back
Top Bottom