Is there a permanent fix for Fiat Punto head gasket failures?

Associate
I think the head gasket on my mums Y reg 1.2 Fiat Punto has gone again.

It failed approx 2-2.5 years ago with about 30k on the clock. It now has 44k on it.

A bit of googling has shown that this is just a big a problem for these engines, as it is the Rover K series!! Now I've read that if you use the Land Rover (freelander) gasket it pretty much solves the hg issues on the K series.

Anyone know what the cause of hg failures are on the Punto 1.2? Is there a similar permanant fix?

Its not a job I want to have to do every other year tbh, so i'd rather fix the root cause and not treat the HG as a consumable item it.

And yes, the car is a POS and I hate it. I've told her a million times to get rid.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Find out what caused it to fail (normally a cooling system fault)
Fix it properly (ie skim the head, new bolts etc).
Service it properly, ensure it has the correct coolant mix - and don't let the engine EVER overheat.

Soldato
Just as with the K series, repeat failures within a short time are usually due to the job not being done correctly. Was the head and deck checked for flatness, new head bolts used and correctly torqued, quality head gasket set fitted (e.g Payen), new thermostat etc?

Soldato
A multi layered steel gasket seems to come to mind with regards to the Punto, could be the ZR though, i've had both haha.

Not warming the car up properly was the cause of the issue for me though...

Associate
OP
I did the job last time :o

The head was skimmed at a local machine shop. I used new head bolts and replaced the thermostat. I torqued down the head bolts as per the haynes manual. I made sure the threads were clear with an air line and the bolts were lightly lubed prior to fitting to give an accurate reading.

The only thing I can think of that may have been my fault was the quality oF the HG itself. I used a local motor factors who have supplied low quality parts since I fixed it the first time (a clutch kit for a diesel 106 that only lasted a year for example - lesson learnt)

Proceed as before but with a high quality hg? Any brand recomendations?

Additional info after more reading. The system is notoriously tricky to bleed. If this was the underlying cause, surely it wouldn't have taken 2 years to show up?

Associate
My ex used to have one of these.

Went at 40k, took to garage for it to be repared.

Had a skim, new bolts etc only lasted a year.

Took it apart myself had the head checked for flatnesss rebuilt it, bled coolant system.

Still got hot. Found that water pump had **** itself.

Probably unrelated but may be worth checking on yours.

Caporegime
Tell her the engine is knackered (which with a blown HG, it is!) and use this as an excuse to buy her something better.

Otherwise, another nod toward petrol & a match! ;)

Tea Drinker
Don
Wife had a 1.2 punto hg went, fixed it myself easy including a head skim, went on for another few k then we sold it, iirc the engine is so small the actual gasket between cylinders and coolant ways is tiny, also the torque for the head bolts is puny so much so I kept winding one in till it snapped as I borrowed a torque wrench and didn't realise the click was so faint.

Soldato
My HG never went on mine. Ever. Still going now. Just have to be careful with them when they are cold and service them properly and they should be fine.

Soldato
Nope, just replace it when it goes (~every 60k). DO skim the head, the way these go they never last long if you skip that bit.

From Neuvo Panda/Grandé Punto/500 they have a new gasket design (it's made of metal), these don't fail but they also done fit in the old FIRE engine.

Associate
OP
Tell her the engine is knackered (which with a blown HG, it is!) and use this as an excuse to buy her something better.

Yeah I tried that. But, "i fixed it before". Tbh, if I could afford to replace it for her I would. And with the amount of moaning I've done about the sodding thing, I'm sure she'd replace it if she could as well! :p

Associate
OP
Nope, just replace it when it goes (~every 60k). DO skim the head, the way these go they never last long if you skip that bit.

From Neuvo Panda/Grandé Punto/500 they have a new gasket design (it's made of metal), these don't fail but they also done fit in the old FIRE engine.

60k is dream tbh! Lol. The original factory one lasted 30k, the 2nd one only lasted 14k. The cars only done 44k in it's 11/12 years!

Back
Top Bottom