• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Credit where credit is due i7 920 4.6ghz (ON AIR)

Soldato
99c :O

zuludawn said:
A chip that's nearly half the watts and produces at much heat, clearly Intel have a winner.

An Ivybridge CPU at 4.5ghz won't get that hot, they really do have a winner. Clearly the chip will be throttling to prevent thermal damage at those loads

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OP is crazy. :D

Op has very special i7 920 that is guaranteed to work at Tj-max

4.5GHz @ just 1.382v @ 215BCLK @ Up To Tj-MAX or your money back!

4.4GHz @ just 1.343v @ 210BCLK @ Up To Tj-MAX or your money back!

Aint that what is doing now in prime and for the last month of use (not as it ever hits max temp). I aint worried one bit.

Associate
OP
99c :O

An Ivybridge CPU at 4.5ghz won't get that hot, they really do have a winner. Clearly the chip will be throttling to prevent thermal damage at those loads

Read some of the posts then most will not run IBT BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED TO unless you want me to point them all out for you. Its Tj-max is 115 degee from what some say.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18398508
Half down Stulids posts etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate to point out the obvious, but you've had to turn off HT to hit 4.5 on your CPU. I've not heared of anyone not being able to keep HT on to get their IvyBridge's to that kind of level and above.

Also, as others have said, it's not all about the clock speed. A Sandy Bridge does more clock for clock than a 920 will, and Ivy Bridge does slightly more clock for clock than Sandy. I am really pleased the OP is happy with his CPU (and well he should be), but don't kid yourself that it matches Intel's "latest and greatest". You are in danger of sounding like those with Pentium 4's at 3GHz shouting it's faster than a Q6600 because that only runs at 2.4GHz!

Soldato
I hate to point out the obvious, but you've had to turn off HT to hit 4.5 on your CPU. I've not heared of anyone not being able to keep HT on to get their IvyBridge's to that kind of level and above.

Wait... i totally missed that! HT gives masses of room for overclocking on these chips.
This overclock isn't as cool as i thought it was now :(

Associate
OP

Also, as others have said, it's not all about the clock speed. A Sandy Bridge does more clock for clock than a 920 will, and Ivy Bridge does slightly more clock for clock than Sandy. I am really pleased the OP is happy with his CPU (and well he should be), but don't kid yourself that it matches Intel's "latest and greatest". You are in danger of sounding like those with Pentium 4's at 3GHz shouting it's faster than a Q6600 because that only runs at 2.4GHz!

Never said it matched only in day to day usage, of course it is faster, just wanted to see if a 3 year old chip would match its average OC. Then point out it after 3 years (and with Ivy Heat issues) its not that good a chip, seems the general attitude to OC Ivy, more so when compared to Sandy.

Plus everyone forgetting i7 920 is 2.66ghz stock and only has 21x multiplier having to do 215 x 21 which is a hell of a lot harder to get stable. Plus still on air. Plus i also said i run at 4.4ghz 24/7 because it cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well clearly you're not going to be happy until you've got a fried chip/mobo.

"Hello batsh*t brigade? Yep, seems we've got a live one here."

Lol im happy when your happy 2 hours prime enough with some IBT as well thrown in. MB is X58 Gigabyte Extreme with all the extra cooling on the chipsets would not dare try this on any other MB.

Last edited:
Soldato
A chip that's nearly half the watts and produces at much heat, clearly Intel have a winner.
Just looking at this forum seems people are not that impressed.
In daily applications there would be very difference in performance between the two, if your honest. In games xfire 7970 give me 60fps solid vysnc at 3.8gig, This i why i have missed Sandy and now Ivy, no point really.

Do people really care (gamers) if the next gen CPU has lower watts, when top end GPU watts are so high. Woot i saved 43w and gained about 600w in xfire lol. Especially if the CPU still runs hot oc.

Whether you're bother or not, a chip that performs better and costs less to run can only be a good thing, but the point here is that you have demonstrated absolutely nothing by posting screenshots of your overclock. The gripe about Ivybridge is that it runs hot ...so you post a screenshot of your old CPU with a completely unstable overclock also running hot :confused: and then another with a more stable overclock ...but running ridiculously hot! :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm unimpressed by this let alone ivy bridge. My Q9550 happily runs all day at 4gig on my nFail 750 board (which aren't known for their overclocking) and was tested well over 4GHz stable on an intel chipset MB. For most things it still pulls its weight.

Associate
OP
Whether you're bother or not, a chip that performs better and costs less to run can only be a good thing, but the point here is that you have demonstrated absolutely nothing by posting screenshots of your overclock. The gripe about Ivybridge is that it runs hot ...so you post a screenshot of your old CPU with a completely unstable overclock also running hot :confused: and then another with a more stable overclock ...but running ridiculously hot! :confused::confused:

Just who wrote the rule book to say when you stress test a CPU at 100 load and the temps are high that your OC is unstable or even bad. Given, its a very good guide, but how many times as a general home user who use their PC for games etc do you ever hit anywhere like 100% load.
Just ran 3dmark 11 for example highest temp on a core 73 degree. Normal internet usage 50 degree. Not used for video editing or any number crunching apps.
You guys panic if you see a high temp, post some pics of your Pc under 100% load with the programme, within normal user definitions. Why so much beef?
Idle temp of 50c and under is fine with me.

I have proved its stable and i use it every day, i will leave it on for week 24/7 to see what my highest temp really is!

Even at 4.6ghz failing on one core in prime only i still used with no BSOD or high temps.

You don't need IBT or prime to tell you your Pc is stable BSOD does that for you by default lol

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fixed, hammered down v-core voltage to around 1.375v now any lower then IBT fails, knocked nearly 8c off highest temps, best i will ever get on air. Just under the hour on prime. BF3 now!

fixed.png

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/blackjeep1/fixed-2.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Mmmm... tasty overclock indeed, get some marshmallows on sticks to toast round it and you are on to a winner!
Heat/vcore will kill your chip, you know that don't you? :confused:

Maybe you need water cooling so you can stop bitching about "being on air". :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Mmmm... tasty overclock indeed, get some marshmallows on sticks to toast round it and you are on to a winner!
Heat/vcore will kill your chip, you know that don't you? :confused:

Maybe you need water cooling so you can stop bitching about "being on air". :rolleyes:

How many times i said this (its only hitting high temps under stress testing) normal use its fine. Played 4 hours of BF3 last night as most nights with two oc 7970 running so hottest the case will ever get and cpu temp never hit above 70c. So were is the problem. Its been in for a month or so no problems no BSOD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom