Intel Rapid Start aka uber fast resume from hibernate

Soldato
Edit:

Ok so all this tech is miss out the BIOS boot screens with a tweak here or there.

Hibernate file still needs to be written to the disk. That means:

For 8GB at 280/200MB/sec read/write means 40 seconds to go to sleep and 30 seconds to wake up.

I think i'll take the battery life hit (24 hours asleep is about 20% of my battery life - I can live with that for instant wake up).

Not that impressive IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sleep uses 15W of power for me.

15W*24hrs*365days = 131.4 units

9.3p a unit I pay, and so that is a little over £11.

With an M4 (500MB+/s read) boot up times are very small as well.

This is very good for laptops though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've a new z77 board I wanna try this with but still waiting on bits to start my build. I assume if it's not using any power it can't respond to any port activity such as WOL though?

Last edited:
Associate
Sleep uses 15W of power for me.

15W*24hrs*365days = 131.4 units

9.3p a unit I pay, and so that is a little over £11.

With an M4 (500MB+/s read) boot up times are very small as well.

This is very good for laptops though.

your numbers are flawed unless you dont turn the pc on for a full year.

working off about 16 hours a day in standby makes more like £7.50

Soldato
your numbers are flawed unless you dont turn the pc on for a full year.

working off about 16 hours a day in standby makes more like £7.50

I was just highlighting that the max you could save is ~£11 and how that is worth it for sleep functionality.

Soldato
OP
I've a new z77 board I wanna try this with but still waiting on bits to start my build. I assume if it's not using any power it can't respond to any port activity such as WOL though?

I'll test this... Even powered off all motherboards consume power even if it's less than 2W .... Testing as I write.

:) Gigabit NIC went into 100mbs power saving whilst asleep, I sent a magic packet and it woke up :)

as someone with a 30gb ssd boot drive - ill stick with the current system, i cant afford a hibernation file :p

This is not hibernate ... don't confuse the 2... This needs an IRS partition instead of a hibernation file

Edit:

Ok so all this tech is miss out the BIOS boot screens with a tweak here or there.

Hibernate file still needs to be written to the disk. That means:

For 8GB at 280/200MB/sec read/write means 40 seconds to go to sleep and 30 seconds to wake up.

I think i'll take the battery life hit (24 hours asleep is about 20% of my battery life - I can live with that for instant wake up).

Not that impressive IMO.

Ehhh ? Your maths are all wrong... It takes around 10 seconds to go fully into deep sleep. Also again this doesn't need hibernation to work... in fact I have hibernation disabled ;)

powercfg /hibernation off

Soldato
Ehhh ? Your maths are all wrong... It takes around 10 seconds to go fully into deep sleep. Also again this doesn't need hibernation to work... in fact I have hibernation disabled ;)

powercfg /hibernation off

If my memory is full, i.e. all 8GB is used with apps then it has to be written to the disk. How can it be any other way? :confused:

8192 MB / 200 MB/sec (My Intel SSDs write speed) means it takes ~40 seconds for that file to be written to the disk.

How is my maths flawed? :confused:

Associate
There appears to be a lot of misunderstanding about what this is, what it does, what it doesn't do and how it works. I'm possibly confused too, however this is what I understand things to be.

1) Intel Rapid Start does NOT boot your system.
2) It is a replacement for Hibernate/Sleep.
3) S1 S2 S3(sleep) S3H S4(Hibernate) & Intel Rapid start are all variations on the sleep function.
4) Boot, Booting up etc is described as from when your computer first powers on and goes through the hardware system checks, and initialises your hardware.
5) Resuming from a sleep state is NOT booting
6) No one can boot into a used windows7 OS in 5 seconds.

How does it work ?
As before with Hibernate it writes the existing memory to disk, and powers down your system. When power is re-applied it loads the image, bring you back to the same place in windows, documents open etc..

Whats special/different about Intel Rapid start to existing Hibernate/sleep?
It does not require power like S3 Hybrid Hibernation.
It appears work in practically the same manner as S4 Hibernate.
It appears to be more efficient, and faster than S4.
You will need a 3rd party utility from your motherboard manufacture, possibly a bios update and new drivers for windows.
You will need to have a special hidden partition set for this to work.
As with S4 sleep - no power is needed.

What is all this S3, S4 etc. nonsense ?
These are sleep states.
I'll probably get some part of this wrong.

S3 - Currently mostly referred to sleep mode in windows. This is the fastest sleep mode.
The computer powers down the CPU, however leaves the ram powered. When it wakes, the system jumps back to life quickly.
Positives - FAST and reliable
Negatives - Great for short term sleeping however it does consume power, Desktops usually still consume a significant amount of power in Sleep mode.
If power is lost so is your work (unless you saved). A full reboot is required.

S3 Hybrid (Most common)
As above the data is maintained in RAM & written to the Hibernation file on disk.
This allows for the speed of a S3 ram wakeup, and the redundancy of S4 (hibernate) to
This is a combination of S3 and S4 where data is saved to ram and a dedicated hibernate file on your HD.
Pro's
Generally reliable
Reasonably fast
Con's
Still requires Power
Requires HDD space

S4 - Commonly referred to Hibernate
This mode Dumps the contents of Ram onto a dedicated file on your HDD.
Pro's
Power can be removed, so your work is safe.
Very low power consumption is used in this state (our electronics always use some even when turned off)
Data is safe
Con's
It's Slower to resume than S3 states
People with older HDD's maybe limited in space and disable the hibernate option, as this takes up same same amount of GB as your RAM.

To conclude:
It makes no difference to boot speeds.
Your hardware must support it
Is it better than existing sleep modes? - Yes.
Will it save me money? - In the long term a small amount if you are replacing a S3 sleep mode.
Whats all the fuss about? - Clever marketing, It's just another sleep mode similar (yet better) than what is currently available. Faster resumes than existing hibernate.
It is also a "Green" technology, the less power we all consume, the better.
Have I tested it? - No. My motherboard's bios supports it, however no application has been released yet to configure it. I will probably update to it when available.

Soldato
Just for reference, I measured the sleep power draw of a number of PCs and my Macs.

Desktops: 0.5-2.5W (The latter being older machines).
Laptop: <0.5W.

If your machine is using more than that then something is wrong or your not in S3.

Soldato
I'll test this... Even powered off all motherboards consume power even if it's less than 2W .... Testing as I write.

:) Gigabit NIC went into 100mbs power saving whilst asleep, I sent a magic packet and it woke up :)

Thanks for testing this, that is pretty awesome, handy for remote access without having to leave the pc in a higher power consuming state. :D

Back
Top Bottom