Plextor M2S

Caporegime
Hi all,

I see that OcUK has the Plextor M2S on pre-order, how does it compare to the M4 or the Samsung 830?

The Plextor only has a 1 year warranty and:

Managed to find a benchmark but the Plextor was only in tabular form.

I've added the Plextor results to the side of the Samsung.

Samsung is significantly faster, the biggest difference in SSD speed/feel comes from 4kb random, QD32/64 results are completely irrelevant, no home use will hit this outside of benchmarks, sequential is nice but ultimately not used much. The samsung is 50% faster in the single most important performance measurement, 4kb random read's.

Still a decent drive for a very good price, the reality is most of us have most of our games and quite a lot of programs on an HDD still, 16mb's random read's is slow for even midrange ssd's, its magnitudes faster than HDD's which can barely break 1mb's.

They would make pretty damn good game storing drives, £100 to fit a pretty large amount of games on with hugely better than hdd performance, and lower power, no noise. Great deal overall, though if you're going for a windows + games type drive, I'd pay the extra and grab a Sammy 830.

Soldato
be weary, something is not right with these plextor drives. ocuk is only offering 1 year warranty on them, and most plextor drives come with 5 year warranty like my m3. not sure where these have been sourced from to only come with 1 year warranty.

Associate
this is 100% off topic and I do apologise, but don't plextor make uber leet optical drives anymore? If they got into the blu-ray game, that'd be awesome, I'd buy one straight away (Thats the last part of my build, I hope lol, keep getting the upgrade itch.)

Edit :: A quick google search told me they do ! I'm such a noob :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom