Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 19th Jun 2012, 11:29   #1
dav3evans
Wise Guy

National Express will fine you if you don't print your ticket...

I find this hilariously ridiculous - I got on the coach to go from Loughborough to London yesterday, to be told that the PDF of my printable ticket isn't technically valid and that in a few weeks inspectors that get on can fine you 20 for not having printed it.

I get that they have the mobile tickets that you can pay an extra 50p each time for..but given that we live in a smart phone age I can't believe they will potentially fine you!

It's not like they take the ticket off you, mark it, do ANYTHING at all, and even if you were to create a fake ticket, printed of not it makes no difference at all.

As well as this, the other week a girl had lost her ticket and got a reference number from the telephone support, and the driver wouldn't let her on until he saw it transferred from a note on her phone, to a piece of paper.

She used an old tissue... and it was validated -_-
dav3evans is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 11:37   #2
Pate
PermaBanned

National Express drivers are scummy.

National Express is a scummy company.

What do you expect?

I loathe having to use them.
Pate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 12:18   #3
dav3evans
Wise Guy

same, but prices compared to the train make it a no brainer, I have to go back to Loughborough at the weekend and it makes it slightly more viable to do so. The level of logic amazes me even for them.
Old 19th Jun 2012, 13:42   #4
robgmun
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pate View Post
National Express drivers are scummy.

National Express is a scummy company.

What do you expect?

I loathe having to use them.
Sad to say, so are most of the customers. The amount of times i had a greesy fat smelly man or women sit next to me crushing me into the already small space is insane. Families with 6 kids and screaming babies. Tarffic jams and long travel times. Since i switch to the railways i've vowed never to travel on coaches ever again. Even the scummist trains are 10x better then National Express, but i feel like an elite traveling in my virgin pendolino

robgmun is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 13:45   #5
Pate
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
Sad to say, so are most of the customers. The amount of times i had a greesy fat smelly man or women sit next to me crushing me into the already small space is insane. Families with 6 kids and screaming babies. Tarffic jams and long travel times. Since i switch to the railways i've vowed never to travel on coaches ever again. Even the scummist trains are 10x better then National Express, but i feel like an elite traveling in my virgin pendolino
That is very very true. On long journeys (I've travelled from Brighton to Ireland before with them ) I almost wish for a crash.
Pate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 13:46   #6
dav3evans
Wise Guy

I wish I could go back to the trains, the time doesn't bother me too much as I take it as time to catch up on shows that I haven't watched yet, but can vouch for most of the customers as well. Monday morning I was graced with the sound of a child screaming for an hour straight. That being said I took a first class train a couple weeks back, and even in there I was met by a cohort of 7 children all deciding that the most fun thing ever would be to see who could be the loudest.

I miss my car =[
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:06   #7
Nate Silvers
Mobster

First time I used them was a 260 mile journey with an annoying cockney ***** talking on her phone about how much she got drunk the whole way. With her four spoilt brat kids.

It was 30 degrees out and the driver opened the sky vents and she kept closing them because the draft was messing up her hair! I actually threw up in the sink from travel sick.

They are okay from London to Portsmouth, last three trips have been pleasant and arrive right on time. Saved me 22 if I had gotten a train.

GO VEGAN.
Nate Silvers is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:33   #8
pingwing
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pate View Post
I've travelled from Brighton to Ireland before with them
Why would you do that?!?! I'v seen ones go from Dublin and Belfast back over to the UK and 24 hours of a bus looks horrendous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T5 View Post
Wonder if Mark Thatcher will be able to find his way to the funeral?
pingwing is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:49   #9
"andy"
Capodecina

Accuse them of wasting paper and trees. Green peace or other workd saving charity will do the rest
"andy" is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:54   #10
anticonscience
Caporegime

Why would you not just print off your ticket?

Were you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?

Last edited by anticonscience; 19th Jun 2012 at 15:19.
anticonscience is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:56   #11
PiKe
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticonscience View Post

Where you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?
Maybe he doesn't have a printer?

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev 2.0) Intel i5 2500k Xigmatek Gaia Sharkoon 120mm Case Fans 8GB Crucial Ballastix DDR3 PC3-10600 ASUS EAH5850 Crucial M4 128GB WD20EARX Cooler Master RealPower 520w Pioneer DVR-219L all in a Lian Li PC-7B Plus
PiKe is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 14:58   #12
anticonscience
Caporegime

Neither do I, but I didn't struggle to print off some tickets for a show I went to.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:01   #13
anticonscience
Caporegime

Quote:
ticket” means any ticket, including e and m tickets, issued by us, or on our behalf, which evidences our agreement to carry or
arrange for the carriage of any person, including the services on which travel is permitted and the fare payable. In the case of an
e-ticket it is the copy which you print yourself after making a booking on www.nationalexpress.com and with a m-ticket it is the text
message which we send you.
If he didn't have a printer he could have used the m-ticket.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:02   #14
Haggisman
Sgarrista

Quote:

Where you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?
It's 2012.

Why should he print out his ticket when he has a perfectly feasible way of providing it without printing it?

"I put my hand down my bra and pulled out a cuddly little bat."
Haggisman is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:05   #15
anticonscience
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggisman View Post
It's 2012.

Why should he print out his ticket when he has a perfectly feasible way of providing it without printing it?
Because quite clearly it's the companies policy.

But hey it's 2012, the customer is always right, now more than ever.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:06   #16
Haggisman
Sgarrista

Quote:
Because quite clearly it's the companies policy.

But hey it's 2012, the customer is always right, now more than ever.
Please point out to me where the company policy stipulates it must be a paper ticket?

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:06   #17
anticonscience
Caporegime

Did you not read the opening post?

I'll give you a hint, it's in the first paragraph.

Last edited by anticonscience; 19th Jun 2012 at 15:09.
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:08   #18
Haggisman
Sgarrista

Quote:
Did you not the the opening post?

I'll give you a hint, it's in the first paragraph.
I did the the opening post, didn't see anything about it, other than a driver deciding he wanted a number written down.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:09   #19
anticonscience
Caporegime

How cute of you.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:12   #20
Haggisman
Sgarrista

Quote:
How cute of you.
So rather than back up your claim with evidence, you decide to further increase the level of hostility and aggression in your posting style, and attack me in order to avoid having to admit you were wrong?

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:17   #21
anticonscience
Caporegime

How am I wrong?

I quoted from the T&C's off the website in post 13 what the requirements are for an e-ticket that it is booked.

The website even states at the checkout:

Quote:

e-Ticket?
Check this box to have the ticket sent to the above email address as an e-Ticket. You must be able to print the ticket.
When you order the ticket. If he had no printer he could have chose:

Quote:
m-Ticket?
Check this box to have the ticket sent to the mobile number below as an m-Ticket. (50p m-ticket fee).

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:19   #22
Haggisman
Sgarrista

Quote:
How am I wrong?

I quoted from the T&C's off the website in post 13 what the requirements are for an e-ticket that it is printed.

The website even states at the checkout:

When you order the ticket. If he had no printer he could have chose:
It still doesn't stipulate that it has to be printed on paper.

How about printing to an XPS document?

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:31   #23
anticonscience
Caporegime

But you know what National Express mean though.

The thing is though, today more than ever consumers seem to be trying to find more and more ways of making something out of nothing and saying "Hey look at me, I'm a consumer and I was wronged by x company" Who wants to hear my tale of woe and how they have wronged me?

It's not as if they don't offer an option for mobile tickets if their customers do not have a printer available.

Yes I appreciate a smart phone can display a PDF file of a ticket, but if the company have a policy in place it must be printed then I abide by their rules. If people want to try and get oneupmanship on companies by trying to "stick it to the man" then fair play to them, but don't expect the conductor in this case not to slap you with a 20 fine.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:31   #24
dav3evans
Wise Guy

Quote:

Were you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.. after asking a coach driver once for future reference whether this method was acceptible and being told yes, most people do this, I continued to do so. I don't have a printer at home but do at work. Though if I don't need to print one why would I waste the paper?

Before you say it, yes I know it states has to be printed, but the issue is the fact that they are planning on making a conscious effort to be inflexible with their policy, which has clearly not been updated to adhere to what I would consider to be a perfectly acceptable standard for something that has no security hologram, chip, information etc.. on it. They don't even scan the barcode on the ticket.

To top it off, the money they are losing by people not choosing their m-tickets will be increased by the amount they are going to spend on bringing additional staff members on to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggisman View Post
It still doesn't stipulate that it has to be printed on paper.

How about printing to an XPS document?
To be fair dude I do go to print - PDF so technically it has been printed
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:38   #25
anticonscience
Caporegime

Well that's fair enough that you have asked in the past and been told it's ok, but clearly now things are changing for the worse and they are going to enforce the printed ticket ruling (onto what most people would interpret as printed on paper).

I'm not saying you are like a person I described in post 23, but it seems all you read about now in the 'press' is how tech savy people are beating companies up over their policies that do not take the latest technology into account in cerain situations.

Last edited by anticonscience; 19th Jun 2012 at 15:42.
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:41   #26
drone
Gangster

Just trying to get their money back use them now and again to see gigs in manchester they haven't half but the prices up and throwing extra booking fees on going like ryanair make out they have great offers on but very rarely do.
drone is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:47   #27
dav3evans
Wise Guy

Quote:
Well that's fair enough that you have asked in the past and been told it's ok, but clearly now things are changing for the worse and they are going to enforce the printed ticket ruling (onto what most people would interpret as printed on paper).

I'm not saying you are like a person I described in post 23, but it seems all you read about now in the 'press' is how tech savy people are beating companies up over their policies that do not take the latest technology into account in cerain situations.
I'm sure there are people that set out to do that, and in turn that creates the possibility of drawing everyone else under the same veil and trying to do something like that just because they can

I think the thing that gets me the most is that it seems as though they are setting out specifically to stop people, even though logic would dictate it's a perfectly acceptable way of doing things, but of course, one persons logic isn't necessarily the same as the other
Old 19th Jun 2012, 15:56   #28
anticonscience
Caporegime

The thing is I totally agree with you. I'll give you a little story for some background below, but things like this should be acceptable, however sadly I think people go about it the wrong way when dealing with things like this and just because we are tech savy and bang up to speed on technology does not mean the people who run these companies and enforce such policies are so tech savy.

I recently went to see Michael Winslow at Wolverhampton and got a PDF ticket emailed to me from Ticketmaster, now I do not have a printer and it was my plan to use my girlfriends dad printer to print the ticket, but I forgot when we went to see him on several times, the day of the show comes and it's a mad panic to sort it, it did cross my mind to just take it along on my phone as a PDF ( I wondered if they would scan the ticket on my phone) but I ended up being able to get it printed anyway.

You may ask why did I not just turn up with my PDF tickets on my phone, well the fact (and this is why I asked in my first post in this thread) that plastered all over the ticket was "PRINT THIS TICKET OUT", I decided it was not worth the hassle and I just visited my girlfriends dad in the afternoon and got it printed out, now if I was a person like I described in post 23 I would have gone in fully armed for a fight, but I didn't because it just wouldn't have been worth the hassle on the door.

Sorry if that's just a load of waffle and doesn't make sense.

Old 19th Jun 2012, 16:03   #29
dav3evans
Wise Guy

Nah that makes sense =] An again, the thing that reinforces it there is that (I believe) they will have scanned the barcode at the gig, correct? Whereas for National Express they use the unique code that is generated at the head of your ticket.

If they did have scanners, you can't scan regularly shaped barcodes on screens - my clubcard app can testify to that! So it would need to be a QR style one like Subway or Starbucks use, which again would be them needing to update the tech they use, or develop an app etc..