• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Mark benchmark

Soldato
OP
Guest what i5 processor do you have? I have the early 1156 i5 750 here.

I keep EIST enabled, this reduces my multiplier down at idle and reduces heat and power consumption.

Also I would keep your thermal monitor on, I can't see if effecting overclocks but should help prevent damage to your CPU. You never know if a CPU fan will fail, or CPU cooler could become loose, thermal monitor should give at least limited protection.

i5 760

Isnt it better to have a constant 4ghz instead of dropping up and down all the time. Surely its like turning a light on an off

If thermal monitor is off, wont it just blue screen and reboot anyway? (like IBT does) at the end of the day it was a £40 upgrade so if it burns out after 3 years im not too fussed

Soldato
Hi Guest

You may as well allow the CPU to reduce it's multiplier at idle. It will save you electric and reduce strain on components such as motherboard and PSU, also give the CPU fan a rest if it's PWM controlled. There will be no gain you can notice from running at 4ghz constantly anyway!

Your correct the computer will blue screen when CPU gets to hot and crashes, however without thermal monitor the CPU will stay at it's speed and damage could occur. Thermal monitor gives you some protection. As mentioned there is always the chance a CPU fan could fail, or heat sink come loose.

Soldato
OP
Hi Guest

You may as well allow the CPU to reduce it's multiplier at idle. It will save you electric and reduce strain on components such as motherboard and PSU, also give the CPU fan a rest if it's PWM controlled. There will be no gain you can notice from running at 4ghz constantly anyway!

Your correct the computer will blue screen when CPU gets to hot and crashes, however without thermal monitor the CPU will stay at it's speed and damage could occur. Thermal monitor gives you some protection. As mentioned there is always the chance a CPU fan could fail, or heat sink come loose.

will turn off both and re-test tonight

ta

Caporegime
Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4Ghz

CINEBENCH R11.5 = 7.04

cin.png

PerformanceTest 7 CPU = 7768.8

4ghz.png

wPrime v1.55 = 6.379 sec

6.png

Pretty good for a £135 CPU.

Last edited: