DVI-D for 1440p

Associate
Got my DGM 27. It came with a DVI-D cable but a bit short for my Humanscale M2 cable management. I ordered a longer DVI-D (24+1 pins) from ebay. It doesn't not work! I thought any double link DVI should work. Or I am wrong?

Soldato
Hi

Your correct it should work is there no way of testing it with the cable that came with the monitor just to check if its a faulty cable :)

Also what GPU do you have does it have dual DVI outputs and have you tried them both ?

Associate
OP
Hi

Your correct it should work is there no way of testing it with the cable that came with the monitor just to check if its a faulty cable :)

Also what GPU do you have does it have dual DVI outputs and have you tried them both ?

The cable came with the monitor works so my graphics card does support that. I just simply replace the cable - using the same sockets.

Associate
OP
Any dual link DVI-D cable should work assuming you are connecting it to a dual link output.

Not all DVI outputs on graphics cards or motherboards are dual link.

I've used this with the same monitor without any problems: OcUK Value DVI-D Dual Link M - M Monitor Cable (Black) - 3 Meter

You can also use DisplayPort if you have that output for your graphics.

I am sure my card is dual link cause the original cable works. One thing I just notice is that the cable I bought looks a bit different from the one OCUK sells. If you check the pic in OCUK link, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-067-OK&groupid=1929&catid=1754&subcat=, near the connectors there are Ferrite Cores. The ebay one does not have them. I guess that would be the reason?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it's a choke.

I've used 3m dual link DVI cables without them.

If you know the same setup works with a different cable then that does suggest that the new cable you've bought is deficient or defective in some way.

Soldato
I am sure my card is dual link cause the original cable works. One thing I just notice is that the cable I bought looks a bit different from the one OCUK sells. If you check the pic in OCUK link, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-067-OK&groupid=1929&catid=1754&subcat=, near the connectors there are Ferrite Cores. The ebay one does not have them. I guess that would be the reason?

ferrite choke is used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits.

Caporegime
So that is not the reason the cable won't work. Hmm I guess that is just a crappy cable then. Is there any advantages with displayport over DVI? I might consider getting one.

DP and DVI will give you the same image quality.

I'm running the DGM 27" monitors off both dual link DVI and DP and you can't tell which is which from the image.

DP cables are less bulky.

Back
Top Bottom