Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Small Form Factor

Old 25th Nov 2012, 12:54   #1
defect
Associate

New Acer Revo's Advice (L70 & L80)

Hi chaps,
Complete newbie to the community but looks like some great advice is being shared so I figured you'd all be a good place to come for some advice!

I'm completely new to HTPC's, I currently have an Asus O!Play but I'm looking to purchase one of the two units mentioned to use as an HTPC running XBMC.

The cheaper L80 will be selling for 149.99 when it gets released next month and the L70 will be 179.99.

I was wondering what people think would be the best machine for the purpose out of the two. Storage is not an issue as I'll be running external drives over NAT.

Any advice, positive/negative comments regarding the two products and if there's anything in a similar price range that would suit my needs better I'd definitely be willing to consider them.

Thanks in advance!
defect is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2012, 17:00   #2
defect
Associate

Anyone? Looking to purchase one of them in the next couple of days and I have no idea which one I should go for!
Old 26th Nov 2012, 22:17   #3
mrbell1984
Capodecina

Quote:
Acer Revo L70 Nettop PC

- AMD E450 1.65
- 4GB RAM
- 320GB HDD
- AMD HD 6320
- Free DOS
Quote:
Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC

- Intel Celeron 887 1.5GHz
- 4GB RAM + 750GB HDD
- DVD Writer
- Intel HD
- Windows 8
Not a bad price at all for little desktop systems!
Last edited by mrbell1984; 26th Nov 2012 at 22:20.
mrbell1984 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2012, 14:53   #4
Deep
Soldato

It depends on what you'll be using it for. Will you be using XBMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly
Matt Bellamy is a riff monster.
Deep is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2012, 17:38   #5
defect
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
It depends on what you'll be using it for. Will you be using XBMC?
Yes bud, pretty much only XBMC, it'll be used to stream Bluray's over the network amongst other similar things.

People have mostly said to me to go with the AMD, but looking at Passmark's results they've come back with this:

E450 - 816
Celeron 887 - 1489

Is it definitely true? Because at the moment it looks like the cheaper one is the better one to go with.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 17:44   #6
boosfuk
Hitman

Multimedia graphics is better on the E450, the slower CPU is not relevent; XBMC runs really well on the AMD. I would try to get confirmation though that either can do the Blu-ray streaming....I've no idea. Also from what I have heard the AMD will be a quieter solution which is always good for an HTPC box.
boosfuk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2012, 18:25   #7
defect
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosfuk View Post
Multimedia graphics is better on the E450, the slower CPU is not relevent; XBMC runs really well on the AMD. I would try to get confirmation though that either can do the Blu-ray streaming....I've no idea. Also from what I have heard the AMD will be a quieter solution which is always good for an HTPC box.
Very useful reply there mate, thank you.

I found an old thread on here regarding the previous 'RL70' right here on Overclockers, which is what initially made me sign up here!

Here's the thread:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18375202

What I found most interesting is that people seemed impressed with it for what it was, however mentioned that with 4GB RAM it would be much more useful.

So here it is!
Old 29th Nov 2012, 13:42   #8
Deep
Soldato

Buy the AMD one, it'll be fine IMO
I have an Acer Revo 3700 and stream 30gb MKVs a lot and it never stutters!

Quote:
Old 29th Nov 2012, 20:03   #9
defect
Associate

Quote:
Buy the AMD one, it'll be fine IMO
I have an Acer Revo 3700 and stream 30gb MKVs a lot and it never stutters!
That's useful to know mate, would be playing similar file sizes to that at times so glad to know it won't have a problem!

I sent (the company in question, starred on here!) an email, since they mentioned that it had USB 3.0, but then it didn't say which ports are 3.0. They have now removed the info from the L70 after the message, and 3.0 is no longer mentioned, however they are still mentioning it on the L80 model.

I don't think USB 3.0 will bother me that much in all honesty, I'll be playing over the network 99% of the time anyway I think.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 20:12   #10
Deep
Soldato

I just realised I've never used the usb ports apart from the Logitech keyboard that's plugged in

Quote:
Old 29th Nov 2012, 21:37   #11
defect
Associate

Quote:
I just realised I've never used the usb ports apart from the Logitech keyboard that's plugged in
Think I'll pretty much be in the same boat!

What are your bootup times like out of curiosity? Anything that the machine lacks in that you think you could get much better with if you had spent a bit more money?

I've already gone with the 180 one now, so too late to turn back but can't get it until Christmas so would like to know what I've let myself in for haha.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 08:34   #12
Deep
Soldato

Actually not a single thing IMO. I've got a skin which suits the whole family which looks good, it plays everything everytime and I can use my phone to control it if needs.

I'll time a boot up for you when I get home tonight, it's not long from what I remember.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi and it's not working well for me, I think I need to do a bit more tinkering with it and it'll be good for a bedroom box, I'm very tempted just to buy another Acer Revo and be done with it.

Quote:
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 23:04   #13
defect
Associate

Quote:
Actually not a single thing IMO. I've got a skin which suits the whole family which looks good, it plays everything everytime and I can use my phone to control it if needs.

I'll time a boot up for you when I get home tonight, it's not long from what I remember.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi and it's not working well for me, I think I need to do a bit more tinkering with it and it'll be good for a bedroom box, I'm very tempted just to buy another Acer Revo and be done with it.
Thanks bud, any further update on the bootup time out of curiosity? Sorry to be a pain!

I had a Raspberry Pi on launch day, however felt that it was a bit "early days" and decided to spend the money upgrading my PC instead! Figured that like you to save a bit more and go down the Revo route, I feel it's really good value for money with what you get and it's small and discreet aswell. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 17:01   #14
Deep
Soldato

Yeah sorry mate, forgot that I hadn't posted.

Literally from turning it on, till the moment I could start using it took 63-64 seconds

Quote:
Last edited by Deep; 4th Dec 2012 at 11:07.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 09:32   #15
Assassin_012
Hitman

i was planning on getting one of these,

everyone is saying the L70 is the better option, though the HDD space is quite...small compared to the L80 versions...

which makes my situation undecided as to if i should get this or not. =/

or maybe i should wait lol...
Assassin_012 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 16:23   #16
StevieP
Soldato

I've been considering one of these (probably the L70) but the mechanical hard drive is the only thing making me pause! Do Acer do a version with an SSD in it?

| CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo |
| Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 | GPU: KFA2 GTX970 OC |
| PSU: OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro | SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 |
| RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT |
StevieP is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 12:51   #17
welshdragon
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
I've been considering one of these (probably the L70) but the mechanical hard drive is the only thing making me pause! Do Acer do a version with an SSD in it?
Check out THIS thread.

It's a tear down of the unit. Very easy to swap out the HD for an ssd btu if the intended use is just XBMC then an ssd is imho overkill.

Especially if streaming from a nas

welshdragon is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 19:52   #18
withnailuk
Associate

Evening all and sorry to jump on this post but i have just come across the post by googling for this http://www.******.com/395463-acer-re...c-dt-smgek-006. I am thinking of buying this to run on my tv in the lounge. What i would like to know is will this be able to run 1080p stream's of xbmc without any problems? Thanks.
Last edited by withnailuk; 15th Jan 2013 at 19:56.
withnailuk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2013, 21:20   #19
Vento21
Associate

Hi guys,

I recently bought a revo rl70 from ******, i swapped the hdd for my ssd and I installed windows 7 and all drivers installed ok apart from the Ethernet controller, it got most of the way through then came up with this error "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found.
If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable" we'll nothing I could do worked, I googled the issue which is apparently quite common with windows 7 and Realtek, basically the Ethernet controller is put into a deep sleep mode and you can't wake it up, I tried ALL the suggested fixes but nothing worked so sent it back.
After a week I am finally being sent a replacement as after 'extensive testing' the unit was found to be faulty! I do want another one but am now afraid to replace the hdd for fear of the same problem. Will the ssd make a big difference? Also I have windows 8 and would prefer to put that on the machine but the acer website will only supply drivers for a windows 8 upgrade from win7 and it doesn't have all the drivers so iassume that means the drivers you install for win 7 roll over and work on win8 so does that mean I would have to install win7 and all the drivers first?
Could I install win8 first then find the drivers or install the win7 ones?
I really want this machine to work but I am so worried the same thing will happen and the nightmare of sending it back again!

Cheers guys
Vento21 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2013, 13:26   #20
Marvt74
Soldato

I'm pretty sure i've read that Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers are interchangable.

I'm using some W7 drives on my W8 install on my Revo L70
Marvt74 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2013, 15:01   #21
Iceroo
Associate

I'm new to the forum, but I read this post just over a month ago in the search for advice on whether to get a Revo and whether the L80 (being cheaper than the L70) would end up being better as the Celeron processor pass mark was almost twice that of the AMD. Thought I would share my experience with you.

I took the plunge in Jan and purchased an L80 for the good price of 149.99,
Installed windows 8 from memory stick from dos to desktop in about 30mins. Acer website only offered Win8 drivers for the Revo and were classified under the RL80. All successfully installed with no issues.

Now as for the performance, a friend of mine recently got the L70 with pre installed win8 OS to run as a HTPC with XBMC. I wasn't over impressed in the lag at which the L70 would navigate XBMC, It did however run a 1080p MKV reasonably but requiring more load on the GPU. The same movie ran from the desktop in VLC was jerky.

My L80 on the other hand, smooth operation throughout XBMC including with some more demanding skins. Tested with and without GPU support on large 1080p movie
GPU support enabled CPU load at 5% 24/25fps
GPU support dissabled: Still got an easy 24/25fps but with cpu load up to 45%

In my eyes this is the perfect addition to any living room, silent powerful and cheap
Iceroo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2013, 14:29   #22
Deep
Soldato

A bit of help needed if possible!

I purchased an Acer Revo L70, replaced the hard drive with a SSD.
Put it all back together, plug it all in and when I turn it on all I get is a black screen.

I tried restarting pressing F2,F8,F10 or F12 in the hope I could get to the boot by USB section, but nothing happened

Quote:
Old 15th Feb 2013, 14:32   #23
Marvt74
Soldato

Weird, bit unusual. Is there any option to clear the cmos do you know? I can't remember if i saw any jumpers or a battery when i did it but i presume there must be something.
Old 15th Feb 2013, 14:38   #24
Deep
Soldato

I'm not sure but here is a picture I just took

http://i.imgur.com/XhG6qRa.jpg

Edit:

I just put the original hard drive in and I have the same issue. Could this mean the motherboard doesn't work?
Also when I turn it on I get a single beep if that means anything

Quote:
Last edited by Deep; 15th Feb 2013 at 14:48.
Old 15th Feb 2013, 14:50   #25
Marvt74
Soldato

Did you try it before swapping the hard drive over? Did that work?

I'm not 100% but the blue jumper on the right of the ram slots looks like it'd clear the cmos

Just to check you did put the heatsink back on first before powering up right? (Silly question but best to check!)
Old 15th Feb 2013, 15:09   #26
Deep
Soldato

I didn't actually, I should have done that :-(

Yep definitely did that, I put the whole thing together before turning it on

Quote:
Old 15th Feb 2013, 15:17   #27
Marvt74
Soldato

I can't criticise, i did exactly as you did and swapped out the HDD straight away aswell.

I think your best option may be to reset the cmos and see how that works. Otherwise, whack the original drive back in and send it back
Old 15th Feb 2013, 18:43   #28
Deep
Soldato

How very strange. I went to the pub, came back and tried it. It now works, what seems to be perfectly.

I'm just updating my database now, and will put on the reFocus skin via Putty as soon as it's done.

Quote:
Last edited by Deep; 15th Feb 2013 at 18:59. Reason: Spelling error
Old 15th Feb 2013, 20:32   #29
Skeeter
Caporegime

Do these things output 5.1 audio through HDMI or is there a separate audio out?

And are you using xbmc on Windows or a Linux build?

#KeepFightingMichael #JB17
Last edited by Skeeter; 15th Feb 2013 at 20:36.
Skeeter is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2013, 21:28   #30
Deep
Soldato

I'm using it on a Linux build, I have no need for the features that Windows offers for this type of PC.

There is an optical port that can be used. I've only had access to that so can't confirm the 5.1 over HDMI

Quote: