Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Games > PC Games

Old 3rd Dec 2012, 20:45   #2731
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

My awesome real world flight | Kemble to Cardiff via Bristol

So Sunday 2nd December was the date for my real-world flight. The weather was good and I met Chris and Stuart from Cotswold Flying Club at 09.30z and the beauty I was going to be flying:

Spoiler:

Chris was my mentor on this trip and he had de-iced the plane and done all the external pre-flight checks. He had already booked us out for the flight. We walked up to the plane. I took the Captain's seat.

He asked if I wanted to do radios of which I said yes. My first slip up was referring to 'Kemble Information' as 'Kemble Tower' ala Vatsim. And my second in quick succession was calling us Golf-Whiskey-Yankey instead of Golf-Whiskey-Kilo ala my callsign for light aircraft in Vatsim.

Those things out the way, we taxied to Runway 26 and off we went.

Spoiler:

Chris took off and then let me do some flying. But with a well trimmed aircraft and little wind there wasn't much to be touching. We settled at 4000ft and admired the scenery.

Spoiler:

We changed over from Kemble Information to Bristol Control and then flew IFR. We were cleared into the zone, maintaining 4000ft and given a sqawk code. We flew East to West with the runway to our right.

Over Weston, we were handed over to Cardiff Control and were cleared ILS for Runway30. Chris lapped up the flying here as he said he never gets to do this often. E.g wait for muggins here with his simulator dreams.

We were number 1 and were quickly reverted to number 2 as a Jersey callsign plane was coming in. We were vectored over the Channel and then were vectored back round onto the ILS.

It was windy but Chris was in full control.

Spoiler:

And we landed safely and had a quick backtrack for the GA parking.

Over at Cardiff we checked in to pay our (my) fees which was a total of £56. 2 x movements (1 landing fee. 1 ILS fee). We then went to the pub they have there which overlooks the airport for a well deserved cup of tea.

We saw an ATR and Dash-8 depart whilst we were there and also some GA traffic.

Spoiler:

After tea, it was back in the cockpit and I did some more ATC spiel. And took off from Cardiff airport. We were cleared VFR via Wenvoe.

Spoiler:

Here's a few more scenery shots:
Spoiler:
http://www.andrewreader.com/images/2-Dec-2012/2012-12-02%2012.21.27.jpg

And then as an added bonus we flew over the historic Filton Airfield and saw the static Concorde.

Spoiler:

The it was back to Kemble. We joined downwind for 26 and I did the landing which could have been tidier.

It was a fantastic experience and Chris' company was great. The bill was £357 and I left for home with a massive smile on my face.

Spoiler:
!bluetonic! is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 20:58   #2732
ringo747
Sgarrista

Nice - sounds like you had fun!
ringo747 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 23:12   #2733
Iraklis F.C.
Soldato

Hi guys, has anyone bought Opus FSX? it looks like its a groundbreaking weather engine.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
i5 4460|MSI H97pro|GTX760|16GB 1600|Samsung 250GB evo
Iraklis F.C. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 08:15   #2734
Cavallino
Capodecina

Very nice read bluetonic.
I've never done any flying lessons before and have been contemplating it. I was told to expect an average of £100 an hour. Is the goind rate these days?

Cavallino is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 09:04   #2735
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

Cavallino, thanks. Most good flying schools will offer a 'trial' flight of 30mins or 60 mins. Have a look at groupon or the red letter days for a cheaper introductory flight.

I'd guess that £100 is your base price.

If you can get over to Kemble, they have an excellent cafe there with breakfasts or lunches with unrestricted views over the airfield so you can make an afternoon of it. They can also do 'high-octane' experiences and you can do some aerobatics. Not for me though!

If you're after a cheaper air experience, there's microlights or very-light aircraft flights. Redlands in Swindon do this although I haven't been to visit them yet.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 09:59   #2736
Devrij
Capodecina

Those are all very familiar airfields as I used to live in Bristol, drove by Filton airport regularly, and my brother lives near Kemble so I often drive past it. I can imagine that being a great little flight. Very jealous, although I think I'd be a bit lost on the ATC and navigation as I don't use VATSIM or any of that yet (just default FSX ATC, which is pretty rubbish).

Devrij is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 10:16   #2737
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

Devrij, for me too..

I work in Bristol, have flown from Bristol Airport and lived in Cardiff also.

My 'co-pilot' had a friendly, immense knowledge of everything. Chatting to me, but then having also heard our next instructions from ATC.

Don't be afraid to stop off at the airport for a coffee and have a look around. The entrance is on the road to Tetbury. Under the rail bridge and further along that road.

My offer of FSX and VATSIM tutoring is open to anyone that wants to learn the basics of Flying, Navigation, ATC. We could replicate my flight no problems at all in a shared cockpit.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 10:36   #2738
Devrij
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by !bluetonic! View Post
Devrij, for me too..

I work in Bristol, have flown from Bristol Airport and lived in Cardiff also.

My 'co-pilot' had a friendly, immense knowledge of everything. Chatting to me, but then having also heard our next instructions from ATC.

Don't be afraid to stop off at the airport for a coffee and have a look around. The entrance is on the road to Tetbury. Under the rail bridge and further along that road.

My offer of FSX and VATSIM tutoring is open to anyone that wants to learn the basics of Flying, Navigation, ATC. We could replicate my flight no problems at all in a shared cockpit.
I might have to look into that (I don't have much time for simming these days ). I now live up north so won't be down that way for a while. When you say "have a look around", how open is it? Might be a cool photography visit.

Old 4th Dec 2012, 10:45   #2739
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

There's naturally security fencing around the outskirts. But you can clearly see many end of life planes currently including some Cathay Pacific 747s.

Drive through and you can park for free, walk past the tower and go into the modern cafe. You can sit in or outside. A smaller fence stops you going 'air-side'.

You can then watch traffic arrive and depart, mostly GA.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 11:47   #2740
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Excellent photos mate. Looks like you had a awesome day. Great shot of Millennium Stadium(big rugby fan). I canít wait now for my flying in the New Year! That was a C172?

Are we going to fly this week? Iíve been on most nights but a bit boring on your own(playing the smallest violin lol )

I also bought prepar3d and really enjoying it. Ported over most of my planes(Still no news on ATR and a small fee for Ifly) and scenery(Orbx have a great tool for this). As I mentioned last time, using it mainly for VFR but did take out the RJ last night and did a flight from Southampton to Liverpool . There is talk about v1.5 coming before the big one next year(v2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraklis F.C. View Post
Hi guys, has anyone bought Opus FSX? it looks like its a groundbreaking weather engine.
Better than the REX? Will have a read about it.
Vuvuzela is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 12:00   #2741
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

Vuvuzela, thanks. It was awesome. And yes a C172..

Tonight - nope.
Weds - yes.
Thursday - nope.
Friday - tentative.
Saturday / Sunday - most probably.

And you're now a P3D convert? I love the idea, but wouldn't look forward to the prospect of conversion and cost of porting over for (IMO) not much gain to my use of FSX. If it gave a solid 5-10 fps increase and use of all my current planes and sceneries, then I'm there!

And we're into the xmas period ..Where's the T7 and A320?!
Old 4th Dec 2012, 12:12   #2742
ringo747
Sgarrista

Vuvu, how do you find Prepar3d? Did you get much of a performance boost? Do you have to do lots of cfg tweaks to get it running well?
ringo747 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 13:12   #2743
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Wednesday should be good and Iím about on the weekend too. Will keep my eyes on the forum.

Not 100% convert yet! Still running FSX. Iím getting a slight increase in FPS e.g. Gatwick Extreme in FSX I get 10/15fps on P3D I get about 20/25 but that also depends on what plane I use and weather etc. I get a constant 30FPS most of the time though. To be honest I donít think itís been a massive performance increase but it is so stable. I havenít had one error or crash or anything like that. Stutters have all gone just feels right!

Cost wise

P3D - £30 Ė Rumour about paying a fee when v2 comes, nobody sure yet.
Migration Tool - £9
REX -£3 for licence, once off cost. Just have to change the directory when using fsx or p3d.
Ifly - £8 to use in P3D - You canít use the tool.
ATR Ė Cant use the tool and no talk about using in P3D.
Orbx Ė for older scenery and airports they have a ďFREEĒ tool to use in P3D. All the latest scenery and airports e.g. EU England, has a install for FSX and P3D so just select the different folders.
Quality Wings Ė has an install for P3D and FSX again just select what folder.
Caranado Ė Used Migration tool
PMDG Ė Not tried this yet. Read you canít use Migration tool
Avilasoft EFB Ė Used the migration tool
SquawkBox Ė Migration tool, but launch from Windows not in P3D. Not sure about FSINN?

Thatís all I have paid for. The migration tool is brilliant, you donít have to do any tweaking it does it for you. All you have to do is click a button ďEnable Virtual FSXĒ

http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx...migration-tool

The above is what I use and have. Reading the different forums you can use 90% of the software using the migration tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo747 View Post
Vuvu, how do you find Prepar3d? Did you get much of a performance boost? Do you have to do lots of cfg tweaks to get it running well?
Ringo as mentioned above, finding it very good and very solid. It uses much less CPU usage. Performance has been better in certain areas and scenarios. It hasnít been massive.

I did 4 tweaks thatís all. The 1026 to 4096 tweak is gone and the 4.500000 to 6.50000 also gone never have to change that again . I followed Kostaís tweaks.

Have a look at this, Kosta has done some good ComparisonĎs with FSX and P3D

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/f...ce-comparison/

Edit:
Oh yes, I have 1 issue with P3D, it doesnít have a free flight option. So to get the fight you want, e.g. Gatwick, Day/Summer, Caranado 172 etc. It restarts about 4 times, because ever time you choose a different option it resets itself. Quite frustrating to be honest. BUT.......

There is a brilliant tool called Simlauncher(its free ) and it acts exactly like free flight option in FSX, so you choose all your options and you launch p3d once.

Again, rumour has it that there will be a free flight option in the next big update.

I will try load up some photos too.

Any other questions about p3d please ask. Only been using it about a week but will try answer whatever I can.
Last edited by Vuvuzela; 4th Dec 2012 at 13:24.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 15:49   #2744
picnic
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuvuzela View Post
SquawkBox Ė Migration tool, but launch from Windows not in P3D. Not sure about FSINN?
I believe that FSInn can be made to work with P3D, see http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380397-...with-prepar3d/

If you fly on a private FSD server, like I do with guys in the Bristol Flight Sim Group, you need FSInn as SB4 reports the server is too old. I've not tried this as that fix wasn't around when I had a free trial month of P3D around last Christmas.

picnic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 16:09   #2745
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by picnic View Post
I believe that FSInn can be made to work with P3D, see http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380397-...with-prepar3d/

If you fly on a private FSD server, like I do with guys in the Bristol Flight Sim Group, you need FSInn as SB4 reports the server is too old. I've not tried this as that fix wasn't around when I had a free trial month of P3D around last Christmas.
Picnic, thanks for clearly that up. So both SB and FSInn work in P3D. Iíve always used SB(never got FSInn working )and its working well in P3D.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 14:08   #2746
Iraklis F.C.
Soldato

now thats something i didnt see coming !

http://avherald.com/h?article=45a1cb11&opt=0

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
i5 4460|MSI H97pro|GTX760|16GB 1600|Samsung 250GB evo
Iraklis F.C. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 16:58   #2747
thingemajib
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraklis F.C. View Post
now thats something i didnt see coming !

http://avherald.com/h?article=45a1cb11&opt=0
Wow, either Ryanair's legal team really has a grudge against someone there, or they've never been on pprune.

thingemajib is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 17:31   #2748
Cavallino
Capodecina

Sorry I dont follow the AVherald, whats it about exactly?

Cavallino is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 17:54   #2749
thingemajib
Wise Guy

long story short, theres an article regarding small incident involving an unstable approach and go around which got a few comments bashing ryanair's safety, ryanairs legal team are now asking for both the comments to be removed and the article edited, whilst threating further legal action on the basis it undermines their reputation (think the reputation part was aimed more at the comments than the article though).

Or at least thats my take on it anyhoo.

thingemajib is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2012, 15:33   #2750
Jason2
PermaBanned

What graphics card would you recommend fellas? Got a P8Z77-V LX and i53570k with 8gb (2000mhz) ram.

I was thinking this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1280MB-MSI...item1e75272a2c
Last edited by Jason2; 9th Dec 2012 at 15:35.
Jason2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 13:52   #2751
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2 View Post
What graphics card would you recommend fellas? Got a P8Z77-V LX and i53570k with 8gb (2000mhz) ram.

I was thinking this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1280MB-MSI...item1e75272a2c
Iím running this card, after many years using ATI.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-095-GI

Very happy with it.

Blue how did that event go? I saw you online but I was a bit busy with other things.
Old 10th Dec 2012, 14:57   #2752
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

V, I wasn't going to fly, but then I grabbed some time at 8pm, so tried to get a flight into EGNX.

I set off from Bristol in the ATR. I was using my newly obtained kit which unfortunately doesn't all work with the ATR. Alt, Hdg and the other dials don't work with this, but does work with the Lancair, ifly at default planes.

There was no control at Bristol, and I made contact with London. The flight was really enjoyable and the skies were busy. I was put into the hold at Pigot.

Now, back to the controls; all through the flight, thanks to this kit, the engine dials was surging.This didn't affect the autopilot too much but needs fine tuning.

When I disengaged autopilot to land, it all went wrong. I was too slow, then too fast, I should have gone around, but couldn't be faffed so I took a plunge for the runway and got down and off on my designated taxiway just in time.

On the VATSIM forum, there's good feedback from the event.

I'm going to need to have a week of IFR circuits to practice with my toys.

This week is looking busy. I reckon I can do Thursday.
Old 11th Dec 2012, 12:32   #2753
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by !bluetonic! View Post
V, I wasn't going to fly, but then I grabbed some time at 8pm, so tried to get a flight into EGNX.

I set off from Bristol in the ATR. I was using my newly obtained kit which unfortunately doesn't all work with the ATR. Alt, Hdg and the other dials don't work with this, but does work with the Lancair, ifly at default planes.

There was no control at Bristol, and I made contact with London. The flight was really enjoyable and the skies were busy. I was put into the hold at Pigot.

Now, back to the controls; all through the flight, thanks to this kit, the engine dials was surging.This didn't affect the autopilot too much but needs fine tuning.

When I disengaged autopilot to land, it all went wrong. I was too slow, then too fast, I should have gone around, but couldn't be faffed so I took a plunge for the runway and got down and off on my designated taxiway just in time.

On the VATSIM forum, there's good feedback from the event.

I'm going to need to have a week of IFR circuits to practice with my toys.

This week is looking busy. I reckon I can do Thursday.
It looked very busy on Sunday. As I said, I got on a bit late.

I’m sure you will get used to the hardware very soon mate, trial and error I guess.

Yes I’m about on Thursday so look forward to that.
Old 12th Dec 2012, 21:38   #2754
Martytoon
Gangster

Bluetonic - thanks for your post on your real world flight. I haven't got the spare cash to learn to fly but have always thought about a trial/experience type flight - your post has at least spurred me on to find some local schools. It does appear I'm pretty limited for choice up here and prices for a 60 minute session are around £150 so will have to hope Santa is kind to me.

Reading through the other posts it does seem that a few here fly on vatsim. My FSX flying tends to be in small aircraft and VFR - would vatsim add anything? I like the appeal of real life ATC but also find the whole thing a bit intimidating!
Martytoon is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 07:12   #2755
Devrij
Capodecina

Hey guys, just a quick heads up that Captain Sim are doing each of their excellent products at 9.99 for 24hrs, so if you want to pick up some great aircraft (love the c130 and 777) I'd jump on it.

Old 13th Dec 2012, 08:13   #2756
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoon View Post
Bluetonic - thanks for your post on your real world flight.
You're welcome. It was a joy to do, and then write and share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoon View Post
Reading through the other posts it does seem that a few here fly on vatsim. My FSX flying tends to be in small aircraft and VFR - would vatsim add anything? I like the appeal of real life ATC but also find the whole thing a bit intimidating!
VATSIM opened up a whole new world of FSX for me. There is so much to take onboard, but any of the seasoned VATSIM-ers from here will answer any question you may have, no matter what.

I'm hoping to fly tonight from 7.30-8pm. If you're about and have a headset/mic, download the Mumble voice client and set it up with the instructions from earlier in this thread. If not, we can arrange a tutorial flight one evening.

This is a superb timelapse from the VATSIM East Midlands event:

http://joejenkins.me/radar.html

I'm flying as AUR644D and make a radar appearance at 8m.43s. I was put into the hold at Pigot, then vectored over the runway for a right hand turn to capture the localizer. My landing was awful, but that's another story.

Devrij, thanks for the heads-up on the CapSim stuff.
Old 13th Dec 2012, 18:58   #2757
Vuvuzela
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrij View Post
Hey guys, just a quick heads up that Captain Sim are doing each of their excellent products at 9.99 for 24hrs, so if you want to pick up some great aircraft (love the c130 and 777) I'd jump on it.
Is it finished already? Cant see anything for 9.99?
Old 13th Dec 2012, 23:40   #2758
ants83
Wise Guy

alright guys, such a newbie here. im playing the missions in single player, have tweaked my system so its all running smoothish, where on earth do i start with all this multiplayer? do you guys have your own servers? or should i keep practising.
ants83 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 01:52   #2759
Shashman
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuvuzela View Post
Is it finished already? Cant see anything for 9.99?

I still have their 757 for FS9 which I merged with the PSS panel. One of the best addons I've bought.

It can't really compete with the Qualitysim one though.
Shashman is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 07:52   #2760
!bluetonic!
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ants83 View Post
alright guys, such a newbie here. im playing the missions in single player, have tweaked my system so its all running smoothish, where on earth do i start with all this multiplayer? do you guys have your own servers? or should i keep practising.
Well done on a good start. No servers of our own.

Multiplayer in a nutshell
1. Get a headset/mic
2. Download and setup Mumble Voice client
3. Get a Gamespy account (through FSX multiplayer tab)
4. Get a VATSIM account
5. Be here one evening to fly with Vuvuzela, Me et al and we'll teach the basics of multiplayer flying.

This weekend, I'm possibly free on Saturday afternoon, early Sunday evening and back to some 7.30pm(s) next week.