Laptop screen replacement possible return

Aod

Aod

Soldato
£85 for a laptop screen swap including the replacement panel is a very good price, most shops around here would charge you around £120 for that kind of job.

Laptop screens, while not usually complicated to replace, are usually extremely fiddly, and can take more than two hours if the Laptop's especially irritatingly designed and/or the Manufacturer doesn't provide a proper service manual.

When I changed the Panel on my laptop to a higher-specced unit (AFFS unit, 178/178 viewing angles on a Thinkpad! :D) it took me nearly two hours, and I'd done it before and I had the service manual, simply because on my laptop there are a lot of wires going into the screen/Panel :)

If you're not completely rubbish with your hands then it's approx a 30min job to do, once you've removed the lid it all makes sense. the most taxing part is that some laptops have tens and tens of screws to undo (and then lose!).

I fixed a friends laptop the other day while we were having a little Lan party and the fan on his HP Envy Behemoth had stopped working. The HP service Manual itself stated that to get to the mainboard, Eighty-Two screws needed to be removed :eek:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Very Comprehensive

I almost always shop around on the net and get these guys to build stuff for me that I order in and last time to build my pc they charged only £20 and got it done during the day, so that's what I would have done with the replacement screen if i'd of ordered it in this time. I've been very busy and I just wanted to play the part of a guy that flies into the two closest local stores i've dealt with in the past, haggle them down and then pick the cheapest option. Straight after I've done this, I've done the opposite of what I set out to do and checked the prices online, knowing they'd be cheaper and I've had an OCD attack over the price :)
They already had the replacement screen in as well, so the speed was another bonus.
£37 - £27 pounds extra, for a finished on the day product, which they are liable for if there are any faults. I shouldn't Complain.
Enjoy New Years

Caporegime
If you're not completely rubbish with your hands then it's approx a 30min job to do, once you've removed the lid it all makes sense. the most taxing part is that some laptops have tens and tens of screws to undo (and then lose!).

As above though, should have shopped around first!
on a lot of laptops you just pop the bezel from around the screen and remove 4 screws and unplug the screen

takes about 5minutes

My stepsons laptop screen is broke and would be a stupidly easy fix the screens only about £40 but she says she doesn't trust me and asked me to find her a repair place...

I solded the DC plug in her laptop that wouldn't charge and fixed it which is a much more complicated job...... involves almost a full disassembly of the laptop...

LOL women....

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the replies. Very Comprehensive

I almost always shop around on the net and get these guys to build stuff for me that I order in and last time to build my pc they charged only £20 and got it done during the day, so that's what I would have done with the replacement screen if i'd of ordered it in this time. I've been very busy and I just wanted to play the part of a guy that flies into the two closest local stores i've dealt with in the past, haggle them down and then pick the cheapest option. Straight after I've done this, I've done the opposite of what I set out to do and checked the prices online, knowing they'd be cheaper and I've had an OCD attack over the price :)
They already had the replacement screen in as well, so the speed was another bonus.
£37 - £27 pounds extra, for a finished on the day product, which they are liable for if there are any faults. I shouldn't Complain.
Enjoy New Years

They charged you £20 to put a PC together.. Bwhahaha.. Sounds like a quality place.. :rolleyes:

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Sounds about right for a shop, they have lots of overheads and they are a bussiness and need to make money. I always hate it when people tell me old Barry down the street said they would do it for a tenner, well old Barry don't pay tax and will probably have your laptop for two weeks.

Associate
You might be able to save money by shopping around for the part, but that doesn't mean that the shop will have the time to do that.

They may have preferred suppliers who are a bit more expensive but offer them better support in the event that there is an issue with the part.

Associate
OP
Thanks again
Over the New Year i've been having some problems with the laptop, battery related, so it's been happening after the screen was put in.
Hopefully they'll be able to sort it for me.

Back
Top Bottom