** Sennheiser PC 350 SE Gaming Headset Review **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Hi Guys

I have now done a few weeks of extensive testing on the Sennheiser PC 350 SE Gaming Headset.

I have been a massive advocate of Sennheiser gaming peripherals for many years now due to the performance and quality.

Recently the PC350 has been in massive constraint meaning it has been difficult to buy stock for the website.

Speaking to Sennheiser, they were keen to get a PC350SE in to me for testing as they were confident that their new offerings would impress.

My current gaming headset of choice is the Steelseries Siberia V2. This is a very good allrounder but ultimately has many failings when compared to higher end offerings.

After setting up the new Sennheiser PC 350 SE and Sennheiser PC 363 D on the OcUK website, I was desperate to get my hands on one to see what the new offerings brought to the table.

I am a long term owner of a set of the standard PC350 and have had long term useage of the PC360 headset which means I have a great basis for comparison

The headset is being ran through the superb Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card which means that the headset is backed up by a strong headphone amp.

The Box:
The box is a typical Sennheiser affair. Classical looks, minimalist designs. All of the important info is presented to you and you don't get any pictures of spotty pro gamers or hilariously aggressive fonts adorning the box.

Sennheiser do an excellent job of getting across the premium nature of this unit across in their packaging.

There is also a nice 2 year warranty logo on the front of the box.

The packaging is a lot simpler than the standard 350 packaging which is much more 'gamer' orientated.

DSC_0329.jpg

Inside the box you find a custom fitted carry case. Personally I dont find much use for these sorts of things but if you are a keen LAN gamer then I can imagine it may be useful.

The case is rigid and provides ample protection for the headset as well as having internal bumps to keep everything in place. There is also a pocket to keep the wires and other bits in.

The headset folds easily for storage.

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

Inside the box there is only the carry case and the headset itself.
I would say that this is a sparse offering considering similar Razer headsets come with stickers and other stuff like that, but in honesty I believe that these things are not required as the target market for this unit is vastly different to that of other gaming headset manufacturers.

DSC_0368.jpg

Initial Setup:
It couldn't be more simple. The PC350 SE is a stereo headset meaning it has the familiar pair of 3.5mm jacks to plug in.
I was initially quite disappointed to see that they have removed the in line control present on the standard edition PC350 and instead opted to move the volume controls to the ear cup. This seemed to be a strange move as I personally like having an in-line control. The cable of the PC350 SE is braided which is a nice addition as the standard version is just rubber coated and in honesty, wore out easily rubbing on my desk and being consistently ran over by my computer chair rollers. The fabric braid also avoided tangling and knots occurring. There is also a useful velcro wrap so that you can manage the amount of cable you require.

The appearance of the headset looks smarter now with a matte black finish across the whole headset, high quality metal hinge points and the interesting orange mesh in the mic unit which I think looks pretty cool

DSC_0349.jpg

Sturdiness:
As said previously, I think that the cable being braided in a quality fabric is a nice addition that will add to the sturdiness of the unit. The actual headset itself is similar to the PC350 and is very, very well built. The headband itself has some flex to it but it doesn't feel cheap in the slightest. The headset weighed in at 320g on my scales but this weight soon disappears when you are wearing the set.
The cups themselves feel much more substantial and expensive than the standard PC350.

DSC_0361.jpg

Sound Quality:
Sennheiser are synonymous with audio. after previously using PC350 before, I was expecting a nice increase in quality from the SE model. I have recently been using Steelseries Siberia V2 which whilst being a great gaming headset, are not even remotely on par with the 350.

After setting up the EQ settings and playing with volume levels, I was massively impressed with the depth and clarity of the sound I was hearing. You really get an understanding where your money goes with a product like this. Whilst it may take a good quality sound card and some level of knowledge to set it up to get the best out of it, after all of that is done, the PC350 SE makes a very convincing claim to its price tag.

DSC_0350.jpg

Music:
My initial testing on the headset was music playback using high quality FLAC files. The strong point of my previous headsets from Sennheiser were always the clarity of musical audio. The PC350 certainly does not disappoint. I started the testing listening to the entirety of a Metal album which contained a diverse range of audio. Each instrument was easily identified and the audio was noticeably clearer than other headsets I have recently tested on the same sound card. A big plus point for me was vocal clarity with every genre of music I tried. It is easy to pick out vocals even from the busiest of tracks which is very pleasing.

The range of these headphones improved over the two weeks of use I have had out of them. Bass initially seemed similar to the standard PC350 which is notorious for being slightly lacking. Not so with the SE version. Turning up the volume on the headset brings deep bass into play whilst crucially not having a negative impact on the clarity of the track. There was no distortion at all which I have not known any other headphones to achieve.

DSC_0355.jpg

Gaming:
A few rounds of Battlefield 3 and I fell in love with the PC350 SE. There is a noticeable difference between my old PC350 and these whilst gaming. The clarity of the audio was obvious but the improved bass over the standard 350 was shocking. The PC350 SE handled explosions and gunfire at loud volumes well and the whole gaming experience was very much improved. Whilst the PC350 is no slouch, the SE model did a sterling job at being a better 'out of the box' product and the experience was more immersive because of it.

Comparing this headset to cheaper alternatives like my Siberia V2 wouldn't even be fair.

A big plus point in my opinion is the ability to mute the mic by putting it in the upright position. Ideal whilst gaming and far more natural than fumbling around for a small button even if the in line volume is missed.

The only thing lacking here is surround sound. Whilst I personally prefer stereo over surround for gaming, I feel that many would view a gaming headset in this price range that lacks this feature as unappealing. If like me, you prefer stereo then the PC350 SE is about as good as it gets.

DSC_0356.jpg

Extended Use and Comfort:
The PC350 SE echos the design of the PC350 but with a few additions. The foam on the headband and earcups appeared to be notably softer. The actual earcups themselves feel deeper in design than the standard PC350 and the interior of the cup seems angled differently. What I like the most about the 350 headsets is the matte finish soft touch material used over the cup foam. This feels a lot nicer than the material used on the cups of many other headphones including the PC360s from Sennhiesers range.

The headset is incredibly lightweight and is ideal for longer gaming sessions. In fact, I would go as far to say that the PC350 is the most comfortable headset on the market in both standard and SE forms.

DSC_0343.jpg

In Summary:
I had extremely high hopes here. Having owned the standard PC350 and a few other Sennheiser units, my expectations were admittedly, very high.
Sennheiser have actually improved what I would consider to be one of the best headsets on the market. Nearly everything is improved here in some way which is really pleasing. Even the smallest of the changes are noticeable and give the SE a nice advantage over other sets in the Sennheiser range.

Sound cancellation with the headset on is superb. when gaming at high volumes, I am usually told that my audio is quite loud even with the headset on my head. This is a proper closed cup headset which actually stops sound escaping. I couldn't hear myself typing on my Red switched mechanical keyboard even with no audio playing. This is not a noise cancelling headset but does a decent job of suppressing a great deal of external noise.

Sennheiser claimed on launch:
Sennheiser said:
The headset captures and retains 95% of the generated sounds traveling through the speakers and enables it so that anyone around the immediate area can't hear a thing.
After extended testing I would go as far to say that this is at least very close to accurate.

As an additional test, I put the set in the hands of a sound engineer who was very impressed commenting that the clarity was similar to their own vastly more expensive headphones that they use professionally.

This is one of the best stereo headsets I have ever used and well worth considering for any audio enthusiasts or gamers looking for the best options available.
Make no mistake, this is a very expensive headset but it is one of the bes high end gaming headsets available at the moment.

I would give the PC350SE 10/10 based on its overall performance and 9/10 for its gaming performance due to lack of surround sound.

Pros
Clear and precise bass that does not interfere with the characteristics of the audio.
Exceptional build quality that is frankly, second to none.
Drivers feel stronger than those used in the standard PC350
Noticeably enhanced features over the standard PC350
The Microphone on this unit is far superior to the standard PC350 and the noise cancellation on it works well.
Much better aesthetics than the standard PC350

Cons
Lack of in line volume controls was a downside for me personally but it does contribute to a cleaner appearance.
The price of the unit is expensive and whilst it does offer much more than the first PC350, it does seem to be steep.
Carry case is a bit of a gimmick and I would personally prefer not to have it and instead just have a lower price tag.
Mic is not detachable or retractable.

You can order the Sennheiser PC 350 SE Gaming Headset from Overclockers UK right now.

Sennheiser PC 350 SE Gaming Headset @ £169.99 inc VAT

SP-071-SN_400.jpg

Only £169.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Back
Top Bottom