*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Soldato
3D Mario sells worse than 2D Mario and well New Super Mario Bros U is hardly shifting units is it?

A 3D mario is a system seller...it will show what the system is capable of better than half the titles released. A 2D Mario in HD isn't exactly going to set the heather alight although I do accept that the 3D games usually sell worse than the 2D ones...

In all honesty NSMBU sales won't have a bearing on a new 3D Mario game which should be much more appealing in HD than a 2D one ever could be...people are more burnt out on the 2D ones especially considering we had 2 in the same year (3DS and WiiU)

Caporegime
Had a blast on ZombiU last night, had a few issues at first with really bad frame rate skipping but by all accounts it's due to loading? After about 30 seconds it stopped and the game ran smooth. Had a good blast for an hour or so and lost a couple of survivors :( good fun though, I really like the gamepad integration.

Soldato
A 3D mario is a system seller...it will show what the system is capable of better than half the titles released. A 2D Mario in HD isn't exactly going to set the heather alight although I do accept that the 3D games usually sell worse than the 2D ones...

In all honesty NSMBU sales won't have a bearing on a new 3D Mario game which should be much more appealing in HD than a 2D one ever could be...people are more burnt out on the 2D ones especially considering we had 2 in the same year (3DS and WiiU)

What you have to take into account is that the Gamecube had all of Nintendo's first party games and it still sold horribly compared to Nintendo's goals, they wanted to sell over 50 million and didn't even sell half of that. Nintendo releasing 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc is no guarantee that the Wii U sales are going to turn around.

There's still plenty of people that don't even know the Wii U is out, and plenty more that think the Gamepad is just a new controller for the old Wii, they have advertised horribly, since they had to pull the ads just before Christmas I've not actually seen any other ads on TV.

Soldato
*cough* HMV / price drop *cough*

Not to mention 125% of very horrible sales still leads to sales being horrible.

Nintendo's next financial meeting will be interesting, it should be in the next few weeks as far as I know, I doubt very much they have hit the revised sales target of 4 million.

But then Iwata spends a lot of time making promises and then having to apologise when he can't keep them.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/

Call me anti Nintendo all you want, which would be funny since I've owned every console they have released except the Virtual Boy and the Wii U, but that article has pretty damning evidence.

This bit is also fairly scary.

Nintendo market cap was at 85 billion in October 2007. (Source)

Nintendo market cap is now at $13.7 billion as of today (April 1st, 2013). (Source)

Nintendo’s market cap was $16.9 million in 2004 during the end of the GameCube era (before Wii).

That means Nintendo’s market cap is currently worse today than the end of the GameCube era.

How can the company devalue that quickly?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yay :D Got the last one in HMV today. Not quite the bargain the Premium pack was but still a nice saving.

WP_20130407_003_zps97e960e7.jpg

My wife is now a happy bunny :)

Unfortunately the HDMI ports on the back of our TV are apparently broken as it refuses to display anything (Neither does my PS3 or our laptop) so it looks to be the TV. :o We currently have it running on a "backup" TV via a HDMI to DVI adaptor. Not ideal but it will do until we source a component cable / new TV (former TBH).

Soldato
Wii U gets Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Release Day...good news indeed :D

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/splinter-cell-blacklist-confirmed-for-wii-u

IGN said:
Nintendo has confirmed that Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist will be released on the Wii U later this year.

The game will be available alongside the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC versions and will launch on August 20 in North America, August 22 in Europe and August 23 in the UK.

According to Nintendo, the GamePad will be integrated to allow players to control gadgets, take out enemies, move through the environment and switch between weapons, as well as other features. Motion-based input will also have a role to play alongside the peripheral's standard touch screen functionality.

Soldato
Ubisoft are the only third party so far with very good support for the Wii U so not surprised.

They have also added extra levels/bosses to Rayman Legends.

Rayman Legends delay: 'I wasn't shocked by the backlash,' says Michel Ancel
"It was really hard for us"

Posted by Thomas East on 10th Apr 2013 at 11:03

Michel Ancel has told ONM that fans' reaction to the Rayman Legends delay didn't surprise him.

In an exclusive interview that appears in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, Ancel told us what it was like for the Montpellier studio when Ubisoft took the decision to delay his team's new platformer in order to release it at the same time as Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

Rayman Legends was meant to be released in February 2013 but fans slammed the decision to delay it until September, with some even protesting outside Ubisoft Montpellier's office. However, Ancel wasn't shocked by the fans' fury.

"No, I wasn't shocked, but it was really hard for us. Of course, there are more important issues and problems in the world but we worked really hard to make something and were so involved, it was difficult for us and the fans."

However Ancel, together with Senior Game Manager Michael Micholic, have used the extra time to create new content for the game. The result is 30 extra levels and some new boss battles.

Micholic said: "Trust me, the things we are adding aren't minor. We're not talking about adding some polish here and there, but 30 new levels and several new bosses."

You can read the full interview with Michel Ancel and Michael Micholic in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which is out now. You can buy it here.

Back
Top Bottom