Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Mobile Phones & Tablets

Old 9th Apr 2013, 14:37   #1
sswats
Wise Guy

Proving to O2 my Note 2 was not rooted

Last week my Samsung Note 2 was stuck on the Samsung Boot Screen.
Switched it off and on took battery off tried the hard reset key combo and nothing worked. After all that it doesn't power on at all. I just get the battery icon if I plug it in.

Took it to O2 who sent it to the repair centre. Got a message that the repair is not covered under warranty.
Went to the O2 shop where we called the repair centre and they say the phone has been rooted. I insisted I hadn't until they said they will reassess, but likelihood is they come up with the same BS.

O2 shop dude was helpful and said I should get them to prove my phone was rooted and to provide me that proof. Not sure what I should be asking for as proof though.

So any help in proving my phone was not rooted would be appreciated.

For the record I have never rooted it or even tried and every app was either from the Play store or the samsung store.
sswats is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 14:50   #2
cjgardens
Wise Guy

Ask them what software is on it?
cjgardens is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 14:51   #3
e36Adz
Capodecina

Which repair centre did they send it too, do you know?

4670K @ 4.7Ghz Corsair H80i Asrock Z87 Ex3 MSI GTX 970 16GB GSkill DDR3 Corsair 600T 120GB Sandisk SSD 2TB Seagate SSHD 2TB WD Black Seasonic 1000W Platinum Dell U2412M x3 Win 8.1
e36Adz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 15:47   #4
sswats
Wise Guy

No idea no.
Old 9th Apr 2013, 16:02   #5
aaron
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36Adz View Post
Which repair centre did they send it too, do you know?
Itll be Anovo in Norwich.

Also in terms of it being rooted it will say in the bootloader. If they cant get to the bootloader then they cant prove its rooted i beleive

aaron is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 16:11   #6
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
Itll be Anovo.
That's what I thought. They are absolute criminal scum imo.

Let them prove to you that the phone was rooted if that is what they are claiming. Just to let you know I've been speaking to someone recently who also sent their phone to Anovo and they claimed his phone had water damage, he was able to prove it didn't and Samsung admitted that Anovo lied. My phone was recently sent to them for repairs and it came back to me with a dent in it. It then went back again to have the dent repaired and came back 2 weeks later with the dent still there, so I've no idea what they were repairing. Try and find out which repair centre has your phone.

4670K @ 4.7Ghz Corsair H80i Asrock Z87 Ex3 MSI GTX 970 16GB GSkill DDR3 Corsair 600T 120GB Sandisk SSD 2TB Seagate SSHD 2TB WD Black Seasonic 1000W Platinum Dell U2412M x3 Win 8.1
Old 9th Apr 2013, 16:18   #7
aaron
Hitman

Itll be the one in Norwich, I wont say the adress or give contact details due to my works policies but it should be easy enough to find online. Sorry I cant be more help pal. Ive just got to be careful with situations like this I'm afraid.

Old 9th Apr 2013, 18:39   #8
matthab
Mobster

This thread currently doesn't bode well for my s2 currently there on repair

matthab is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 19:12   #9
doodah
Capodecina

Crap I thought it was the bootloader they cared about......
doodah is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 19:36   #10
_Jimlad_
Capodecina

what scum bags.... tell o2 you will be ending the contract if its not repaired or replaced.

_Jimlad_ is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 22:25   #11
Rusty!
Wise Guy

You can't end your contact over it, the handset does not form part of your airtime agreement.
Rusty! is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 22:44   #12
HAz
Capodecina

Can't you just send it back to samsung like u can with apple phones?

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, i5 3570K ivy @ 4.8GHZ, 16GB Corsair Ballistic 1600, Msi 980 ti, 2x m4 128gb, custom water cooled, 2meg ATTH (aluminium to the home)
HAz is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 07:14   #13
Martini1991
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibinim View Post
Crap I thought it was the bootloader they cared about......
It should be.
I'd unlocked my bootloader and even sent my Xperia Play with a none default ROM to Sony and they still "repaired" it (They diagnosed the wrong fault, but oh well)
Martini1991 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 08:07   #14
Myshra
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAz View Post
Yes, and where possible I would suggest you should go direct to the manufacturer.
Myshra is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 08:37   #15
Amos91
Wise Guy

There are plenty of Samsung authorised repair shops around. Go to one of them, if they can't fix it they'll ship it to Samsung for you.

Black Gold Clio 182 Full Fat
Amos91 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 11:54   #16
matthab
Mobster

When I raised mine through Samsung they picked it up and sent it to an "Authorized repair Centre"

matthab is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 12:05   #17
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAz View Post
When my iPhone 4 power button jammed and wouldn't press, I took it in store and walked out with a replacement handset that day. When my Note 2 died, I took it to a Samsung repair centre and waited without a phone for 3 weeks until they told me it was repaired, I then went to collect it to find it had a dent in it. I had to wait a further 2 weeks for this to be repaired, went to collect it again to find the dent was still there and they had repaired nothing. After 5 and a half weeks I gave up, now they have said they will replace the handset.

My advice to the OP is deal with o2 directly, avoid dealing with Samsung, they are a joke. The main repair centre they use is Anovo who are a bunch of crooks, they have been caught lying claiming handsets have water damage which voids warranty. OP - email me if you want, I can provide you with some links to read through.

Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:17   #18
SB118
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthab View Post
When I raised mine through Samsung they picked it up and sent it to an "Authorized repair Centre"
Yup Took their "Authorised Repair Centre" nearly two months to sort my wifes GS2, same fault from start to finished and they claimed to have fixed it three times, the first time they couldn't even find the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I get around View Post
... muslim countries are still living in the dark ages.
SB118 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:35   #19
Columbo
Soldato

My latest experience with my S3 will make this my last ever Samsung handset I'm afraid.

Although its all sorted now & I won't bore everyone with the tale, it involved Anovo and some blatant lies.

Thankfully Orange were very good and helped me throughout.

Last edited by Columbo; 10th Apr 2013 at 13:37.
Columbo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:46   #20
thep02
Soldato

I hear nothing but complaints about anovo IMHO folk should spam Samsung with complaints and every tech site, they want driving out of business.
thep02 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 14:46   #21
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thep02 View Post
I hear nothing but complaints about anovo IMHO folk should spam Samsung with complaints and every tech site, they want driving out of business.
+1

Samsung ignore complaints, fob you off and simply wear you down until you give up. I actually received a private number call not long ago from a 'high level representive' from Samsung apologising for the on-going problems I was having in getting my handset repaired, she said it had been escalated to her they were looking at having it resolved asap and she would contact me back directly within 24 business hours and would also be looking to offer some form of compensation. She never rang back. A week later when I rang Samsung up and tried to find out who had called me, they had no idea and even claimed I was making it up because 'their system didn't show anyone called me that day'. Their customer service department are shocking.

Old 16th Apr 2013, 13:01   #22
sswats
Wise Guy

Well its 2 weeks they have had it now and i hadn't heard from them so called the O2 repair company directly.
The told me the "request" to reassess was rejected and that the engineer was a senior Samsung engineer and doesn't need to see it again. When i asked for the full diagnostics they said "foreign software" was all that was written and they wouldn't even provide the name of the engineer who worked on it.
They never bothered to tell me this and I had to call them.

They refused to discuss anything further and said i have to call customer services to raise the matter further.

Called Customer services who simply called the same person i spoke to at the repair centre to request more information. But it is just more information, not a repair, which means more waiting time as I despute their findings.

My options are to pay the repair fee which is 73 (if I had rooted thats a reasonable amount to pay) or to request the phone back and send it to Samsung instead.

Anyone have experience of dealing with Samsung directly?

Awful awful service from O2.
Will not be signing on again with them.
Old 16th Apr 2013, 13:10   #23
e36Adz
Capodecina

Samsung are by far, and I mean BY FAR, the worst company I have ever dealt with.
Old 16th Apr 2013, 14:31   #24
mrgubby
Mobster

I didn't think that it mattered if it was rooted.

From the XDA forums :-

Quote:
The FSFE (Free Software Foundation Europe), has concluded that rooting and flashing our devices don't void their warranties. Manufacturers can't refuse to repair a device because modifying or changing system software is not a sufficient reason to void the "statutory warranty". The seller has to prove that the defect is caused by user's actions before completelly voiding the warranty. Unless that, the standard 2 years of the warranty is still valid. So the Directive 1999/44/CE dictates1 protects consummers even if they have rooted and flashed their system in order to use custom ROMs.

Linky

mrgubby is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 14:36   #25
Bloomfield
Mobster

Yep, rooting doesn't void warrenty in the EU.

Tell them if the phone doesn't even get to the bootloader they have no idea whether it's rooted or not, if the phone is under 6 months old THEY need to prove that it's rooted and that the fault is caused by it being rooted.

Edit: Nevermind, if it's less than 6 months old they have to repair it, if it's older than they they have to prove it was rooted AND that the problem was caused by it being rooted/overclocked/whatever you did to it.
Last edited by Bloomfield; 16th Apr 2013 at 14:38.
Bloomfield is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2013, 10:54   #26
sswats
Wise Guy

Thank you for that. Maybe that will help me if they listen.

With regards before/after 6month ruling. can you provide a reference so i can pass on this information to O2.

I think l when I handed my phone to the store it was less than 6 months old, but now its gone over.
Old 17th Apr 2013, 11:03   #27
SB118
Soldato

The 6 month thing is part of the Sale of Goods Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I get around View Post
... muslim countries are still living in the dark ages.
SB118 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2013, 19:54   #28
aaron
Hitman

If your after the name of the engineer contact the O2 shop you sent it away from and ask them to go on the "live update" bit when they do a repair enquiry on your name. This will tell you the name of the engineer and give you a rough overview of the "fault".

I would check for you but im afraid it only lets us check repairs sent away from our own store. Anovo are awful though Ill agree with you there. Unfortunately every Network (EE, Three, Voda, Carphone, P4U) all use them so you wont be better off elsewhere im afraid.

Only advice I can give is persist and make them prove to you it's rooted. If they cant even get to the bootloader they cant tell simple.

Old 18th Apr 2013, 14:15   #29
silent
Wise Guy

maybe you should also go to trading standards as this is shocking service.

i had rooted my samsung galaxy s 1 and sent to samsung. they re-flashed it and returned it to me with stock firmware within a wk. i live in essex, not sure where it was sent to though. i had no problem.

never knew about that EU directive though. interesting.

sorry to hear your problems.

Corsair 540 air, i5 4960k, Z97 extreme 6, 16 gig hyper x beast 2400mhz, GTX 970, 256gb SM951 m.2 gen 3, 512gb m.2, LG 29" UW. win 10 pro. watercooling loop!!!
Everton Football Club.
silent is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2013, 14:28   #30
e36Adz
Capodecina

If you do contact Samsung, don't bother calling or emailing them, they are a complete waste of space.

Go here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/main/supportMain.do

See the link near the bottom right hand side where it says 'Email the CEO', use that.

You should get a prompt response from a Mr Archer, and from my experience he will at least try to sort it out for you.