HP ML110 G7 32GB RAM - Cashback

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Ah right. I'll be happy with a G8! According to the specs I've found they support 32gb of RAM out of the box, and I think they have the E3-1220V2 whereas the G7 had the V1?

Don't suppose you know if/when the G8 will come on the cashback deal?

I expect it will be a while, if ever, before the G8 range get cash back. Don't know for sure, but one of the techies at work said that HP have done something different with the G8 models so that only HDDs from HP will fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm, I need to spec and build a server for my first business client from my side business, I am looking at a proliant model and this one, realistically how much am I looking at if I go for the server, upgrade drives, memory and add a Windows server OS with a 5 licences?

Soldato
Anyone have any idea if/when the cashback will be returning on these? Really want a new server but they're £370 everywhere, which I can't justify. If they get £100-150 off as they have in the past, I can justify it!

Associate
I've had to turn my G7 off during the summer, it was just driving me mad with the noise. I have a few PCI-E cards meaning the 3rd fan is enabled, and as I'm sure everyone who has one is aware the machine requires a full power off/unplug to get the fan profiles to drop again.

Obviously the BIOS/ILO monitor is very sensitive as to the fan RPM, it will refuse to boot if it is not high enough. The pinout is also a bit weird but that's easy enough to sort. I have seen mention, but no detail of using BeQuiet PWM fans (2x92mm, 1x80mm). Has anyone tried this, can you provide some extra details?

Also, as mine is currently ideal and has been replaced by a few (spare) microservers I might turn it into a workstation. Is the AMD 7750 the quickest affordable single slot PCI-E card around?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I've had to turn my G7 off during the summer, it was just driving me mad with the noise. I have a few PCI-E cards meaning the 3rd fan is enabled, and as I'm sure everyone who has one is aware the machine requires a full power off/unplug to get the fan profiles to drop again.

Obviously the BIOS/ILO monitor is very sensitive as to the fan RPM, it will refuse to boot if it is not high enough. The pinout is also a bit weird but that's easy enough to sort. I have seen mention, but no detail of using BeQuiet PWM fans (2x92mm, 1x80mm). Has anyone tried this, can you provide some extra details?

Also, as mine is currently ideal and has been replaced by a few (spare) microservers I might turn it into a workstation. Is the AMD 7750 the quickest affordable single slot PCI-E card around?

Thanks in advance, Paul.
I agree, sadly this server can get quite loud, and HP just refused to address the problem (doubtful they ever will).

Permabanned
Has anyone replaced the fan at the back of the case with a silent one?

I'm thinking of doing this with mine and also changing the CPU cooler for a better/quiet one.

I'm just wondering about the types of connectors I will need for the mother board.

Edit: ML110 G6 this is.

Associate
Why would they? It's not a home server, it's a business product and would usually sit in a server room where noise isn't an issue.

It's aimed firmly at the small business with no in-house IT (well that's what the HP marketing blurb says!). I work with a lot of these types of companies and most of them have their servers (and small servers like the ML110) in a corner of a room, under a desk or, if I'm lucky an old broom cupboard.

In my experience of the ML110 (without additional PCI devices and ambient inlet temp below 23°C), after boot the fans run as follows (as shown in iLO):

F1=31%
F7=13%
F8=10%

And will stay like that as long as you have no PCI devices attached and the temp remains below 23°C.

F8 is the PCI fan I think - if you have no PCI devices inserted, this fan always turns slowly. Add some in PCI devices and F8 will be turning faster after boot.

In addition, once the ambient inlet temperature reaches 23°C, F1 and F7 start to increase in speed as the temp increases and at full pelt they are pretty noisy. If you also have PCI devices attached, then F8 will also react to the temperature increase.

I still see posts about this in the HP forum, but as nothing has been done, I think it's unlikely to be done now. I have considered swapping the stock fans for quieter varieties, but the wiring is a bit unusual and I haven't tried it.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Why would they? It's not a home server, it's a business product and would usually sit in a server room where noise isn't an issue.
It is intended for sitting in an office, under a desk. Definitely not designed for a server room (which is what rack-mount servers are for).

The point is, it's not the end of the world, but it is a shame that it is something that HP could relatively easily address, yet they have chosen not to (low priority).

Associate
I don't think the problem is the fans speeding up when the temps rise, it's that they never drop back down again after.

I've seen reports of people replacing the fans, the wiring change is easy enough. The problem is that unless the fans spin at a high enough RPM the iLO monitoring goes mental and you can't boot the machine. I've seen one report of people using bequiet fans and it working ok, was hoping to find some more but not much luck so far.

Associate
I don't think the problem is the fans speeding up when the temps rise, it's that they never drop back down again after.

Yes I've read this, but this is not the case with ML110s I've seen. The fans in my home one for example will spin down as the temp drops. Maybe it's the combination of BIOS and ilo versions....?

Last edited:
Associate
It is intended for sitting in an office, under a desk. Definitely not designed for a server room (which is what rack-mount servers are for).

The point is, it's not the end of the world, but it is a shame that it is something that HP could relatively easily address, yet they have chosen not to (low priority).

We have 8 small branch offices, all have those servers, all are in spare, locked rooms or cupboards. Putting a server in an open office "under a desk" is just asking for trouble to be honest, though I've no doubt some people do it.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Just did a quick Google on the part number (470065-752), and you can still get them for £357 incl VAT.

Back
Top Bottom