July 10th 2013 Windows Update KB 2835364 and KB2785094

Soldato
Not sure if this has been posted, so just a heads up, the above updates for Windows 8 can fail to install if, like me any of you have tidied / deleted any of the stock MS Windows Start Menu shortcuts, for example;

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessibility or Accessories or Maintenance or System Tools folders.

If you are using Start 8 then you may also have moved these folders around while customizing the start menu, and Microsoft have decided that if these shortcuts are moved then some Windows Updates will fail to install.

You can either recreate the shortcuts yourself (if you know them), or run a cmd prompt as an administer and execute;

sfc /scannow

After a reboot, this will put these shortcuts back in the locations Microsoft prefers and the update will install on your next run of windowsupdate. I suggest you then just leave them in place.

source

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the pointer, KB2835364 was doing my head in. I found that I just needed to move the Windows Journal shortcut back to it's default (Windows 8) location of:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Tablet PC

Bonkers that a critical update will only install if you not touched a shortcut.

Back
Top Bottom